Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Sony Ericsson P990i

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 03:06 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Anyone tried a M600i? That's my next phone of choice after the P990i.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:16 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Further to my previous posts, I've noticed that when I connect a normal Bluetooth headset to the P990i, under the Services tab for that device, it shows both Headset and Handsfree. When I check the Services tab for the BMW car kit, it shows Handsfree and OBEX. This may explain why the phone isn't switching over to the headset profile when it comes into contact with the car...

So, my question really is this - does anyone know why the BMW Bluetooth kit isn't being recognised as a headset by the P990i? The K750i recognises it as a headset, which still leads me to believe that the answer to the problem lies more with SE than with BMW.

Any ideas?
Old 08-19-2006, 03:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

Apparently with a firmware upgrade the P990i works. http://www.expansys.de/forumthread.asp?cod...1&thread=36

I have Prof Nav but the person who confirmed this doesn;t.

Can anyone else confirm this on an E60.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:29 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='324494' date='Aug 20 2006, 12:59 AM
Apparently with a firmware upgrade the P990i works. http://www.expansys.de/forumthread.asp?cod...1&thread=36

I have Prof Nav but the person who confirmed this doesn;t.

Can anyone else confirm this on an E60.
Bruce - I'm afraid that I am the Mudweasel in that thread... and as you'll see from my latest post there, I have done the firmware upgrade and it made no difference.

I have the Pro SatNav and I would accept that this makes all the difference apart from the fact that some other SE phones do work fine with it (namely the K750i). That being the case, in my simple world, it just seems that there is a bit of 'software' that is included within the K750i operating system that they have not converted to the P990i operating system - if that makes sense! The fact that other models can work with the BMW Bluetooth (including Pro SatNav) indicates to me that the BMW kit will work ok... as long as the mobile it's connecting to is programmed correctly.

I'm sure I've over-simplified the whole process, but I'm positive it can't be impossible!

Mike
Old 09-19-2006, 12:49 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Mudweasel' post='324543' date='Aug 20 2006, 09:29 AM
Bruce - I'm afraid that I am the Mudweasel in that thread... and as you'll see from my latest post there, I have done the firmware upgrade and it made no difference.

I have the Pro SatNav and I would accept that this makes all the difference apart from the fact that some other SE phones do work fine with it (namely the K750i). That being the case, in my simple world, it just seems that there is a bit of 'software' that is included within the K750i operating system that they have not converted to the P990i operating system - if that makes sense! The fact that other models can work with the BMW Bluetooth (including Pro SatNav) indicates to me that the BMW kit will work ok... as long as the mobile it's connecting to is programmed correctly.

I'm sure I've over-simplified the whole process, but I'm positive it can't be impossible!

Mike
Did anyone ever get a 990 to work with the BMW system?
Wish I would have looked on here before buying this POS...
Old 09-21-2006, 01:26 AM
Members

Originally Posted by OldDD' post='336344' date='Sep 19 2006, 03:49 PM
Did anyone ever get a 990 to work with the BMW system?
Wish I would have looked on here before buying this POS...

Yes, I just got the new P990i (made in France) two days ago. Luckily, the store imported the phone by themselves.
Anyway, I am able to pair this phone with my E60 (2005 model not sure which version for my i-drive)
It works for my case, but the phone is not able to up load the phone book on I-drive.

FYR, I was also able to pari my previous phone SE M600i, Nokia N70.

Hope this could help!
Old 09-21-2006, 02:41 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by david0422' post='336950' date='Sep 21 2006, 10:26 AM
Yes, I just got the new P990i (made in France) two days ago. Luckily, the store imported the phone by themselves.
Anyway, I am able to pair this phone with my E60 (2005 model not sure which version for my i-drive)
It works for my case, but the phone is not able to up load the phone book on I-drive.

FYR, I was also able to pari my previous phone SE M600i, Nokia N70.

Hope this could help!
Do you have the Professional Navigation because that's the difference. The P990i has been known to work in non Nav cars.

Also can you check something else for me. I have a P910i which has a more annoying bug than no address book display. The problem is I have my bluetooth turned on the phone all the time so that when I enter my car it connects automatically etc like it was designed to. However with this set-up if I make a call first then everything work. But if I receive a call I cannot answer it via the car. All incoming calls have the same problem until an outgoing call is made first.
However this issue doesn't affect you if you turn the bluetooth on your phone off and only when you enter the car turn it back on.

Is the P990i affected by this issue?
Old 09-22-2006, 08:47 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='337241' date='Sep 21 2006, 05:41 PM
Do you have the Professional Navigation because that's the difference. The P990i has been known to work in non Nav cars.

Also can you check something else for me. I have a P910i which has a more annoying bug than no address book display. The problem is I have my bluetooth turned on the phone all the time so that when I enter my car it connects automatically etc like it was designed to. However with this set-up if I make a call first then everything work. But if I receive a call I cannot answer it via the car. All incoming calls have the same problem until an outgoing call is made first.
However this issue doesn't affect you if you turn the bluetooth on your phone off and only when you enter the car turn it back on.

Is the P990i affected by this issue?
Sorry, my E60 has no nav for my Idrive. For Bluetooth, I don't have the problem you mentioned. the only problem I have is the phone book can't upload.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:17 AM
Contributors

Apparently now people with M5 and M6 have got this phone to work with the BMW.

firmaware on phone R7A001 as minimum
make a backup of your contacts,
copy them to sim,
wipe all the contacts in the phone,

Can someone confirm this?
Old 09-27-2006, 11:59 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='338704' date='Sep 26 2006, 01:17 PM
Apparently now people with M5 and M6 have got this phone to work with the BMW.

firmaware on phone R7A001 as minimum
make a backup of your contacts,
copy them to sim,
wipe all the contacts in the phone,

Can someone confirm this?
Anyone?

I'm waiting for the first person with Prof Sat Nav to confirm that this phone works. Then I run out and buy it. It has already been confirmed to work with cars without Nav.

Quick Reply: Sony Ericsson P990i