Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Bluetooth Statement from BMWNA

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 02:47 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by wnrussell' date='Nov 15 2004, 04:04 PM
[quote name='Hormazd' date='Nov 15 2004, 01:02 PM'][quote name='wnrussell' date='Nov 15 2004, 10:13 AM']Someday, we will look back on this and laugh.? The cell phone carriers really have no business dictating what hardware we must purchase.? If the carriers don't satisfy the customers, the Feds will likely break up Verizon, like they did AT&T.
[snapback]56425[/snapback]
Bill, don't hold your breath on that. I think the industry is changing. The Carriers have the manufacturers by the balls. Fridays WSJ had an article about how Vodafone dictates exact specs and branding to the manufacturers. The carrot they dangle is an order for 10s of millions of cellphones. Nokia tried not to play ball, but then caved in to market forces. Vodafon is the largest carrier in Europe and owns just less than half of Verizon Wireless in the USA. Now the only hope is that the market will make the carriers play ball. The Cingular/ATT merger is making their network more and more attractive. I will miss 1RX but will move to them if my V710 isn't fixed soon.
[snapback]56447[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yeah, Hormazd, I agree with what you are saying, and I'll jump ship on Verizon when I'm convinced they don't come through soon, too.

But I wonder, with BT becoming the standard in so many cars, and with laws cropping up in so many states which restrict cellphone usage while driving, and the safety issues that will come up - accidents happening because the safest solution was not available to the users.

Think about it. The potential liabilities to Verizon could not be worth it. Maybe the engineers really are working on testing Christmas phones for now though.

We really ought to move this thread to the other one about the V710...
[snapback]56548[/snapback]
[/quote]
God I hope you are right. I understand that it should be available before Christmas, but from what I gather they have been promising it for a while. One rumor I heard was that it has been released by Motorola to Verizon for testing. We will see. Please PM me if you get the word and I will let you know as well.