Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Bluetooth Statement from BMWNA

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 05:49 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by jamespratt' date='Nov 2 2004, 01:13 AM
Please don't take offence, but the US system of mobiles is, I gather, technoligically far inferior to the system used by the other 90% of the world. BMW have been working on the audio and compatability problems for years now, so please don't think that Verizon getting themselves sorted will make a massive difference. It may work, but not well enough to impress. Be patient! Wait until BMW get the problems sorted. You'll only have to take it back for another upgrade when they do.
[snapback]52012[/snapback]
Take offense??? Hell no! We are only too aware that this industry is behind in the US and I certainly don't expect Verizon to fix the BMW problem. They will just fix their one and only phone to allow Bluetooth to function. I am however optimistic that BMW will get around to resolving this issue as they will not be supporting/improving on their in car CPT solution any longer.
Old 11-02-2004, 05:51 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

The US cell system is inferior to the rest of the world. The reason is that the entire US has been hardwired for phones for 100 years, so cell phones were originally thought of as a convenience and a safety device while away from home. So we never really thought about abandoning the hardwired system for a cellular system. Now, the majority of the rest of the world did not have a hardwired system and at todays costs it would never be economically feasible anyway to wire all of them. So their cell systems were designed to be the only phone/data system and thus compatibility was designed in from the onset.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:39 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pennetta' date='Nov 2 2004, 03:51 PM
The US cell system is inferior to the rest of the world. The reason is that the entire US has been hardwired for phones for 100 years, so cell phones were originally thought of as a convenience and a safety device while away from home. So we never really thought about abandoning the hardwired system for a cellular system. Now, the majority of the rest of the world did not have a hardwired system and at todays costs it would never be economically feasible anyway to wire all of them. So their cell systems were designed to be the only phone/data system and thus compatibility was designed in from the onset.
[snapback]52075[/snapback]
Pennetta. I think you are spot one there. Particularly when it comes to the developing or late developing nations. e.g Russia, eastern Europe etc. However, Western Europe has been hardwired for pretty much as long as the US. Maybe as long - Don't forget it was a Scotsman who invented the telephone

I think we have another important factor here. GSM vs CDMA or whatever it's called. The US simply adopted a different and (as it turns out) inferior standard from everyone else. I feel rather sorry for the Iraqis who I gather were going to get lumbered with a CDMA system depite the fact that all their neighbours use GSM. Allocation of contracts done according to something other than commonsense!

Anyway, good luck with BT when you finally get it. IF YOU ACTUALLY WANT IT!!!
Old 11-02-2004, 12:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by jamespratt' date='Nov 2 2004, 01:39 PM
[quote name='pennetta' date='Nov 2 2004, 03:51 PM']The US cell system is inferior to the rest of the world. The reason is that the entire US has been hardwired for phones for 100 years, so cell phones were originally thought of as a convenience and a safety device while away from home. So we never really thought about abandoning the hardwired system for a cellular system. Now, the majority of the rest of the world did not have a hardwired system and at todays costs it would never be economically feasible anyway to wire all of them. So their cell systems were designed to be the only phone/data system and thus compatibility was designed in from the onset.
[snapback]52075[/snapback]
Pennetta. I think you are spot one there. Particularly when it comes to the developing or late developing nations. e.g Russia, eastern Europe etc. However, Western Europe has been hardwired for pretty much as long as the US. Maybe as long - Don't forget it was a Scotsman who invented the telephone

I think we have another important factor here. GSM vs CDMA or whatever it's called. The US simply adopted a different and (as it turns out) inferior standard from everyone else. I feel rather sorry for the Iraqis who I gather were going to get lumbered with a CDMA system depite the fact that all their neighbours use GSM. Allocation of contracts done according to something other than commonsense!

Anyway, good luck with BT when you finally get it. IF YOU ACTUALLY WANT IT!!!
[snapback]52169[/snapback]
[/quote]

James:
You are right about your analysis of Cell Phone technology and history. However, whereas early US spectrums like TDMA (ATT) were inferior, CDMA is not. It is infact superior to GSM. The problem is that because the US did not standardize early (and still has not) it is not possible for us to have the same coverage. You can be standing at the base of a cell site and not have a signal if your phone does not support the spectrum. GSM is the only spectrum in most markets so you have better coverage. 1.5 billion chinese will all be on CDMA soon and all of Korea uses this. Because it is the sole spectrum in these countries, they have and wiill have the same service quality that you enjoy.

The bottom line is, it doesn't really matter. This has nothing to do with BT and BMW.

Cheers!
Old 11-02-2004, 12:23 PM
Contributors

[/quote]

James:
You are right about your analysis of Cell Phone technology and history. However, whereas early US spectrums like TDMA (ATT) were inferior, CDMA is not. It is infact superior to GSM. The problem is that because the US did not standardize early (and still has not) it is not possible for us to have the same coverage. You can be standing at the base of a cell site and not have a signal if your phone does not support the spectrum. GSM is the only spectrum in most markets so you have better coverage. 1.5 billion chinese will all be on CDMA soon and all of Korea uses this. Because it is the sole spectrum in these countries, they have and wiill have the same service quality that you enjoy.

The bottom line is, it doesn't really matter. This has nothing to do with BT and BMW.

Cheers!
[snapback]52173[/snapback]
[/quote]

exactly...I have the V710 now, and its is fully capabable of CDMA in the US AND GSM for everyhere else...the problem here has to do with Motorola, not even Verizon. I spoke to them today, and they told me the situation they are having with BT and they believe it will be fixed by months end or year end at the latest...the easiest solution right now is to get this phone and the wireless headset and forget about using idrive to sync up...
Old 11-02-2004, 10:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by m630' date='Nov 2 2004, 02:23 PM
exactly...I have the V710 now, and its is fully capabable of CDMA in the US AND GSM for everyhere else...the problem here has to do with Motorola, not even Verizon.? I spoke to them today, and they told me the situation they are having with BT and they believe it will be fixed by months end or year end at the latest...the easiest solution right now is to get this phone and the wireless headset and forget about using idrive to sync up...
[snapback]52175[/snapback]
I just had my car retrofitted. I am using the BT headset in the interim until this Verizon fix, at which time, hopefully the phone will pair like a champ.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

I just talked to BMW Customer Service. My Bluetooth upgrade for my 04 545 is not an official BMW Upgrade. They have concerns that it does not work for all 04 e60's. It sounds like my dealer went completely out of control and did an unauthorized upgrade. There is nothing worse than a dealer that fixes a technical problem on a car without permission. I guess that I am obligated to stop using Bluetooth until it is safe to do so. :'(
Old 11-03-2004, 05:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Maybe BMW's worried about some unexpected side-effect? Maybe they think your teeth will turn blue??
Old 11-03-2004, 05:27 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pharding' date='Nov 3 2004, 09:17 AM
I just talked to BMW Customer Service.? My Bluetooth upgrade for my 04 545 is not an official BMW Upgrade.? They have concerns that it does not work for all 04 e60's.? It sounds like my dealer went completely out of control and did an unauthorized upgrade.? There is nothing worse than a dealer that fixes a technical problem on a car without permission.? I guess that I am obligated to stop using Bluetooth until it is safe to do so.? :'(
[snapback]52350[/snapback]
Paul, no offense buddy, but I think you are a little off kilter this morning. First of all, the dealership went the extra mile, and probably a few extra miles to work with BMW engineering to accomplish BT on your car.

An unauthorized upgrade? you brought your car in, and told them to do it. You authorized it! As far as it being safe to use Bluetooth? that's absurd! how does this affect the safety of your vehicle.

now, most importantly is the fact that we all know the BMW customer service does not have up to date information. It so happens that they are aware of your BT upgrade, and will make an official launch of it in the near future, perhaps weeks or months.. once all the kinks are ironed out and TSB's can be issued on it.

as far as it not working on ALL 2004 cars, that's already been established, I thought, with pre March productions cars not eligible
I am not sure, really, how you went from 20 posts ranting and raving about Motor Werks to lambasting them. Our radios also turns on every time you come in the car, so should we stop using the radio until it is safe to do so? it's software. That's all.

Like i said before, software upgrades will improve the BT technology over time. relax and enjoy your car.. Maybe you should ask for a refund. THAT, quite honestly, is something I am amazed that you haven't dont yet. $599 for a software upgrade? at the minimum, a partial refund. I realize they spend much time gathering the info to get this done, and you've stated before i think, that you knew it was a gamble..

I'm not flaming you, but rather trying to understand your point of view. I would think it stems from the dissapointment that the technology isn't working for you.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Wassy:

I was being cynical. I guess my humor blew over your head. My dealer was awesome. BMW was awesome. They did what I asked them to do. I am thrilled with Bluetooth in my e60.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth Statement from BMWNA