Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Bluetooth with Pocket PC - XV6600

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005 | 08:25 AM
Members

Ah! Great info on the required profiles. Looks like the devices in question don't support OBEX or object push or they're disabled.

As for the databases being too complex on a CE device, that isn't the reason. The OBEX transfer isolates the database schema from the transfer format. CE devices support obex, the issue is the particular Pocket PCs/Smartphones and their support of obex over BT.

The good thing is that OBEX, its just a profile and someone could implement it on the offending devices. The bad thing is that Paqs typically use a different (WidComm) BT stack, not the standard (Microsoft) BT stack, so the code would be differnet on that device vs. other Pocket PC/Smartphones.
Old 02-09-2005 | 02:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Plus the WidComm stack on the iPaqs is horribly defective. It only works after a soft-reset.

HP has been flooded with tech support requests due to BT problems. They have so many complaints that they have started just deleting the threads from their support forums. They're trying to cover up the issue rather than deal with it.
Old 02-09-2005 | 08:45 PM
sj3
Senior Members

I want my wife's picture to come up on the iDrive screen when she calls me!

Subter...: If the BMW can work with the advanced PDA contact database on the Treo, why couldn't they make it work with PoicketPC? Your theory doesn't quite hold water I don't think since Palm is on the pocketpc level rather than on the level of a basic cell phone's db. Admittedly, this isn't about driving which is our baby's specialty and oh boy, does it perform!

Sam
Old 02-10-2005 | 04:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Go ahead and buy a Pocket PC then...... Just don't let me hear you complain when it doesn't work.

Old 02-10-2005 | 06:50 AM
sj3
Senior Members

Sorry, definitely looking for a Palm-based phone...

Sam
Old 02-10-2005 | 08:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Grey Metallic, Black interior, Fully Loaded. Xtremely FAST!

Do you think that there is a patch availible from either bluetooth or HP? I am frustrated because I NEED to use the pocket PC phone. Also, would I be able to switch my SIM to a sony Ericsson to transfer contact info, then access it when having my HP paired up?
Old 02-10-2005 | 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard, erniem !
Old 02-10-2005 | 09:42 AM
Contributors

There is currently no patch from HP to address the Bluetooth issues.

There is a newer WidComm bluetooth stack which can be downloaded, and it does solve some of the Bluetooth issues on the iPaq H6315. I know, because I downloaded it and used it with my iPaq.

However, it does NOT solve the #1 problem with iPaq Bluetooth. That problem is a design flaw which I will now explain: (this will be longwinded, I'm sorry)

The iPaq was designed so that when not in use, the unit goes into a sleep mode. This conserves battery power while the unit is inactive. While in the sleep mode, however, the telephone remains active so as to be able to receive incoming phone calls. But WiFi & Bluetooth both go inactive while the device is in Sleep mode.

Bluetooth is a 2-way communication protocol. In order for Bluetooth to function, you must have two Bluetooth devices with active Bluetooth connections running. (ie 2 units with bluetooth turned ON).

An iPaq in standby mode does not have an active Bluetooth connection. So what must happen in order to use a Bluetooth headset to answer an incoming phone call?

1. The iPaq is in sleep mode, so there is no active BT connection.

2. Incoming phone call wakes the iPaq out of sleep mode. The bluetooth must initialize before it can operate. This takes several seconds... (if at all, because the iPaq BT stack is defective, and often will ONLY work after a soft reset)

3. While you are waiting for BT to initialize, you miss the incoming phone call because you can't answer it with BT before there is an active BT connection.

You will notice that on cell phones with BT, you have an option to leave BT on or off while the phone is not being actively used. BT does drain power faster, but it is necessary to leave BT on if you want to use a BT headset or BMW BT in the manner it was intended. (ie incoming call mutes radio, and you answer call on steering wheel button). None of these actions can occur with an inactive BT connection.

The new WidComm stack solves the iPaq's problem with only allowing BT to work after a soft-reset. It does nothing to keep the BT turned on while the iPaq is in Sleep mode. For this reason, the iPaq is a terrible choice for use with BMW bluetoth, and for all BT headsets for that matter.

Putting this problem aside.... even when you get the BMW and iPaq working toegether on BT... you will only get the audio to work. The iPaq does not allow the car to make/answer calls or to download the phone book. This problem is not isolated to just the iPaq, either. This is what happens with Pocket PC OS devices.... and also with Blackberries.

As for your SIM card question. You should be able to get contacts from your SIM card into the iPaq. But you will not get the contacts from the iPaq to show up on the BMW iDrive screen.
Old 02-10-2005 | 01:35 PM
Members

I did a little research on this last night. It appears that while OBEX is supported on Pocket PCs, the object push server needed to allow the car to query the contacts database on the Pocket PC isn't.

This isn't as bad as it sounds. When I get some time, I plan on implementing that profile for the Pocket PC and Smartphone. Looking at the code, it doesn't look that difficult. The solution would also be generic for all Pocket PCs and Smartphones. As with many things in life, its just finding the time.

That said, I don't see an issue in general with Pocket PCs and the suspend scenario brought up by subterFUSE. I have a Pocket PC that works quite nicely with a BT headset. The PPC can quickly link to the headset and allow the call to be answered even if it was in suspend when the call was received. This problem may be specific to the 6315, since my PPC isn't an iPaq.

As for outbound calling, having the PPC in suspend mode is going to be an issue. However, that too can be solved with a bit of software. The other option is to have the user turn on the PPC to allow the BT link to set up and then hitting the call button.

BTW, this suspend problem won't be an issue with the Smartphone since it has a different power model. More on this as I work out the details.
Old 02-10-2005 | 09:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Grey Metallic, Black interior, Fully Loaded. Xtremely FAST!

Thank you both for taking the time and making the effort to reply to my question. I guess I will just have to tough it out until further notice.
Thanks Again!

Quick Reply: Bluetooth with Pocket PC - XV6600