Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Bluetooth with Pocket PC - XV6600

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 03:23 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen a few posts asking whether others have had success pairing any Pocket PC BT phones with an E60. So far the answers have been eerily silent. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't know of a single instance! If you've had success pairing a Pocket PC BT phone please speak up.

I'm considering springing for an XV6600 from Verizon, which I understand requires the pairing device (E60) to support BT version 1.1 using the ?Headset/Handsfree? profile.

So far I've been unsuccessful determining which profile the E60 uses for phone pairing. Anybody know?
Old 02-06-2005, 10:07 AM
Members

My Ride: 525 Black with Black Tint....Word.

I just did today with an Audiovox 5600 window mobile 2003 second edition. I only got it to work as a hands free headset. I need to figure out the rest. So far i cannot get the steering wheel buttons to work. I'll post more if i find mor info on this.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

You will only get a Pocket PC device to pair as a headset.

You will NOT be able to sync phone book, or have the car make/answer calls.

This is true of all Pocket PC PDAs and/or phones.
It is also true of Blackberry devices.

If you want a fully functional setup with BMW bluetooth, you must buy a cell phone (ie Motorola, Nokia, Sony, etc..)
Old 02-08-2005, 07:37 AM
sj3
Senior Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Feb 6 2005, 01:31 PM
You will only get a Pocket PC device to pair as a headset.

You will NOT be able to sync phone book, or have the car make/answer calls.

This is true of all Pocket PC PDAs and/or phones.
It is also true of Blackberry devices.

If you want a fully functional setup with BMW bluetooth, you must buy a cell phone (ie Motorola, Nokia, Sony, etc..)
[snapback]87338[/snapback]
I thought we had seen examples here of success w/address book upload ('favorites') with the Treo 650 palm phone. So the above statement of needing to use non-pda phones appears incorrect. However, I haven't seen examples here of fully working pocket pc phones.

That said, there is a post here that discusses specifically which profiles are required for the E60. I think it's Handsfree and OBEX (Object Exchange), but I'm not sure.

Sam
Old 02-08-2005, 02:33 PM
Members

I too would like to know the required Bluetooth profiles. I know a fair amount about Windows CE. The various PPCs use different BT stacks so their BT interopability varies. Even when using the Microsoft stack, the OEMs vary in their support of the different BT profiles.

That said, there is also the issue that Verizon tends to disable some BT functionality to force you to go to them for additional services.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

All I can tell you is..... a Pocket PC phone or PDA won't work to upload phone book or allow vehicle to dial/answer calls. I know because I have tried. HP iPaq H6315.... and a Blackberry 7100.

If you are lucky, you can get it to work as a headset.... but you will have to use the PDA to make calls or answer. This is not "functional" if you ask me. It is easier to simply use a BT headset and forget the car.

Some people have got the Treo to work.... but that is the ONLY PDA style device I have heard of that actually functions the way it was intended.

I'm sorry if you people think I'm being harsh.... but my intention is simply to help everyone avoid the annoyances I had while searching for a phone that works with my BMW. I had to return two devices for refunds because of these issues.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:26 PM
Members

I'm not trying to be critical, just pointing out that all Pocket PCs aren't alike.

That's great info that an iPaq 6315 won't work. My point is that an iPaq Pocket PC is a different beast from a Samsung Pocket PC when it comes to BT functionality.

My second point is that Verizon does disable some BT functionality. This didn't matter in your case since the iPaq is GSM and therefore not Verizon.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:54 PM
Contributors

I feel quite certain in my assumption that all "Pocket PC" / "Windows Mobile" operating system units will not function with the phonebook and car controlling the device. And I would be willing to stake a wager on it, too.

It has something to do with the software used in Pocket PCs for storing contacts. The database is very advanced when compared to a Motorola phone, for example. The BMW simply wasn't designed to operate with an advanced contact database like on a PDA. It just seems to work with basic cell phones with BT.

You might get one to work as a headset. The iPaq worked as a headset.... but without the car controlling the device, it is basically pointless. Not to mention the fact that the iPaq bluetooth drivers are horrendous and won't operate hardly at all, with or without BMW bluetooth.

The Treo is not a Pocket PC. It uses a different OS.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:42 PM
Contributors

Arrow

Originally Posted by boling8080' date='Feb 8 2005, 05:33 PM
I too would like to know the required Bluetooth profiles.
[snapback]87967[/snapback]
Here's a recent posting that explains the required profiles (and why some carriers are diabling some of them and the effects it has on us).
Bluetooth profiles required for in-car use

Robert
Old 02-08-2005, 07:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by boling8080' date='Feb 8 2005, 06:33 PM
I too would like to know the required Bluetooth profiles.? I know a fair amount about Windows CE.? The various PPCs use different BT stacks so their BT interopability varies.? Even when using the Microsoft stack, the OEMs vary in their support of the different BT profiles.

That said, there is also the issue that Verizon tends to disable some BT functionality to force you to go to them for additional services.
[snapback]87967[/snapback]
Here are the official Bluetooth Standards. The documents are now downloadable for public use. Go to this page and you will see the official Bluetooth standard on their website.
https://www.bluetooth.org/docman2/ViewCateg...ategory_id=1334

Download the Mobile Phone Implementation Guide as approved by Bluetooth SIG Board of Directors, Version 1.0 adopted on 9/25/2003. It is a 20 page PDF.

Section 2.1 covers Basic Functionality, based on the current understanding of the needs for phones to provide good connectivity with PC's, PDA's, headsets, car kits and cameras. The standard recommendations are:

2.1.1 Bluetooth Audio (HFP, HSC)
2.1.2 Dial-up (DUN)
2.1.3 Synchronization (OBEX) Object Exchange
2.1.4 Object Push Profile (OPP) to enable exchange of any content between phones and other devices.
2.1.5 File Transfer (FTP to make files on the phone available to other devices and OPP in order to send files to other devices).
2.1.6 Imaging (BIP) Basic imaging profile to receive images from cameras.

If your handset has these profiles, it will be "Bluetooth Compliant" which many devices today are not.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth with Pocket PC - XV6600