Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

BlackBerry 8700c and CIP 24.00

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Cool, I'm glad to learn that BMW officially supports the 8700c...

I tried mine on another E60 with CIP 24.00 and the same problem exists. I don't remember the software version I was on when it worked before but in my attempts to fix it, I upgraded the BB to the latest version Cingular has available (V4.1.0.529). It didn't make a difference so now I'm wondering if I'll need to downgrade it back to the "officially supported" version...

I'll wait to see what Wildcat says about his upgrade -- my car is going back in Tuesday so hopfully I'll know something by then.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:13 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2006

The BBerry software is backwards compatible so I wouldn't worry that much downgrading your BBerry software. If you have a friend with another 8700c you can try his BBerry with your car.

If everything fails then remember that its cheaper to buy a replacement BBerry than a 545i.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:53 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by whentmets' post='395255' date='Feb 24 2007, 09:13 PM
The BBerry software is backwards compatible so I wouldn't worry that much downgrading your BBerry software. If you have a friend with another 8700c you can try his BBerry with your car.

If everything fails then remember that its cheaper to buy a replacement BBerry than a 545i.
I realize that the newer BB software is backwards compatible but I've been messing with technology issues for many years now and I'm just waiting for the finger-pointing to begin -- you know the drill -- "I'm sorry but the only software version that we (BMW) support is 4.1.0.194." Then, after the downgrade, it still won't work, etc.)

I don't know anyone with another 8700c but I tried a Pearl and it seemed to work (although I need to try it again next week to verify something I forgot to check.)

I'm hoping Wildcat can verify if the 8700c and CIP 24.x play nicely together...
Old 02-25-2007, 01:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue/Beige, Navigation, Premium Sound, Cold Weather, PDC, split-folding rear seats, DIY iPod. DIY Valentine 1 hardwire, loose nut behind the wheel.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='395318' date='Feb 25 2007, 05:53 AM
I'm hoping Wildcat can verify if the 8700c and CIP 24.x play nicely together...
And I'm hoping tonight's potential snow storm doesn't keep the SA from doing a proper test drive after my service tomorrow (re: moonroof wind noise). I'll make sure they know I need the car back ASAP, but I don't know if I'll be able to get it before yours goes in on Tuesday, Rudy. Either way, I'll post an update Monday night . . .
Old 02-25-2007, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

Monday night is fine, I'll still have time to explain the problem to them Tuesday...
Old 02-26-2007, 12:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue/Beige, Navigation, Premium Sound, Cold Weather, PDC, split-folding rear seats, DIY iPod. DIY Valentine 1 hardwire, loose nut behind the wheel.

Well, I was afraid they wouldn't be done with it today and the SA just called and confirmed it. Sorry, Rudy. I have no pearls of wisdom for your before you enter the tech's lair once more.

You can be QUITE sure that, once I do get the call that it's ready, I'm not leaving the Center's parking lot until I double-check the Address Book transfer . . .
Old 02-26-2007, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like a plan. I'm starting to wonder if it's something corrupt in my phone's data though. I dropped my car off tonight and decided to see how my phone paired with a car in the showroom. The only E60 on the floor was sold and since I didn't feel like going outside to the lot, a salesman gave me the keys to a new X5 that had iDrive. (By the way, the force-feedbackless controller was fine although I'm not sure if it's going to be the same on the LCI...)

I paired my phone to the X5 and the same thing happened. No address entries if I had the BB set to transfer the entire book. The phone paired fine for calls, etc., just no address book. I then decided to go home and as I was walking out to get in my loaner car, I realized that they gave me the keys to a 530Xi Touring. I paired my phone to that car and the same thing happened. So far, I've tried two CCC-based E60's with CIP 24.00, an M-ASK E60 (CIP unknown), and an X5 (can't remember if it was nav or not...)

Tomorrow, if I get a chance, I'm going to try a colleague's BB Pearl on the Touring to see if it transfers.

I'll be anxiously awaiting Wildcat's results...
Old 02-26-2007, 05:47 PM
Members

Rudy, from what you say, I am almost convinced its the 8700c. Have you tried to take the battery out for a couple of minutes to force a reboot on the BBerry? If this doesn't fix the problem then as you know the next step is removing the OS and reload it from scratch. If you have to follow that path dont forget to make a full backup on the BBerry.
Good luck
Old 02-26-2007, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by whentmets' post='396060' date='Feb 26 2007, 09:47 PM
Rudy, from what you say, I am almost convinced its the 8700c. Have you tried to take the battery out for a couple of minutes to force a reboot on the BBerry? If this doesn't fix the problem then as you know the next step is removing the OS and reload it from scratch. If you have to follow that path dont forget to make a full backup on the BBerry.
Good luck
I tried the battery trick when this problem first happened. When I upgraded the phone's software a few days ago, it backed up all my data, reinstalled the OS, then restored my data. I have to believe that would be equivalent to reloading the OS as you suggested.

I'm wondering if something in my address book is causing the transfer to halt. After I hear from Wildcat, I'll figure out what I'm going to do next...
Old 02-27-2007, 03:14 AM
Members

I agree with you to wait for wildcat to let know the outcome of his car. This will be the smart thing.
I did try the two options on my blackberry under Bluetooth/options; "Hotlist Only" and "All Entries" and in the first instance it only transfers the last few numbers dialed while in the other it transfer the whole address book (about 100 entries).

I think the way you did the OS update works as an upgrade and not as a full reload. To do a full reload you need to go through the Desktop manager (BBerry) and uncheck everything including the OS entries. Then reload the OS. BBerry has also another way to wipe off the device which they use when a device is reported stollen. This is a remote function (OTA) triggered through the BES server. If you end up having to follow the full reload let me know and I can dig out the full instructions.

Quick Reply: BlackBerry 8700c and CIP 24.00