Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Aux and Bluetooth Retrofit Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 11:17 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

I believe the TCU on all these cars is not behind the left rear most panel but behind the next panel forward of it. And I believe the Bluetooth info is not on the side facing the inside of the trunk. so it will require removal to see the Bluetooth info.

I only got a picture of the top of the unit the last time I saw mine. but it has 3 plug-ins on top of it.

Aux and Bluetooth Retrofit Questions-img_7990-copy.jpg

Somewhere around here maybe a little higher...

Aux and Bluetooth Retrofit Questions-dsc05592.jpg
Old 08-11-2010, 01:31 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

There was a Service Information Bulletin (SI posted on this site regarding BT retrofit of E60 models built between 2003 and 2006. With the changes to the software, the SIB is no longer searchable.

This is the information you need to know.

To quote the SB :

"For E60/63/64 vehicles produced from 3/04 to 8/04, Bluetooth***174; functionality can be added to most of these vehicles by updating the vehicle software using CIP 13.2 or higher. After this is performed "Retrofit" of "Tel Bluetooth" needs to be performed. Follow the procedure as described in this Service Information for "Activating Bluetooth" and "Pairing the Handset". Vehicles prior to 3/04 would need to have the TCU replaced with the 2005 MY TCU at the customer's expense and the vehicle updated to CIP 13.2 or higher. Phone docking cradles may not be added to these vehicles because of wiring incompatibility. Note: This software update and retrofit is not covered under warranty and is at the customer's expense."

This was an issue many years ago when some of the early purchasers of 04 and 05 E60's were trying to get BT retrofit to work. This was what the dealers were given to guide them. It's so old that the software is referred to as CIP and the current version was 13.2.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:01 PM
Members

hi ademitt,

the SIB is not valid in Australia. So i have to work out if
A) my car has it - Sep 04 built but only one box in the boot. the box "healthservices" pictured is not there, but wires are tucked in
how much for the re-program if there, or retrofit if not...

Australian models....what spec are they more like, UK...?
Old 08-17-2010, 04:13 PM
Members

Originally Posted by healthservices
I believe the TCU on all these cars is not behind the left rear most panel but behind the next panel forward of it. And I believe the Bluetooth info is not on the side facing the inside of the trunk. so it will require removal to see the Bluetooth info.

I only got a picture of the top of the unit the last time I saw mine. but it has 3 plug-ins on top of it.

Attachment 137552

Attachment 137553
hmmm, here is a snap shot of my boot(trunk) - notice how there is only one box there... the wires are sitting there but no (what i think is) bluetooth module.

What does everyone else think... its funny how this may completely change the theory that sep 04 models and up have it as standard.....
Attached Thumbnails Aux and Bluetooth Retrofit Questions-img_00431.jpg  
Old 09-20-2010, 12:07 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ulvit
but i can confirm, that i have got installed a AUX ontop of coding my CD Changer to play mp3's.
Could you please clarify this sentence..?? my english isn't that bad, but after reading it multiple times i still dont get it. Does the CDC has an AUX input/output?? I recentlly put a brand new CDC in my car (glove), but couldnt find any AUX input anywhere..
Old 09-20-2010, 09:38 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ogerr530
Could you please clarify this sentence..?? my english isn't that bad, but after reading it multiple times i still dont get it. Does the CDC has an AUX input/output?? I recentlly put a brand new CDC in my car (glove), but couldnt find any AUX input anywhere..
Sorry Ogerr530,

i have got the dealer to install the aux. You can only have both if you split the IR wires. This was done and posted on the forum here(maybe the DIY section). But my dealer would not do this. They said you must have either the aux or the CDC. I chose the CDC and got that reinstalled.

Unless you split the cable that goes into the CDC to also go into an AUX Module, you cannot run both at the same time.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 2001 M5, 2010 e61 / 535iXT Automatic
Model Year: 2001, 2010

Originally Posted by Bimmerchop69
Ok so I've read a lot about the retrofits done on other vehicles but the issues i see with mine is that I have a different setup in mine. So:

I have 2004 545i (USA) with L7, CD Changer in the glove box, Non Navi, Looks like I have the voice command system and phone system (its in my Idrive and on the steering wheel) but it does not work because the previous owner was not subscribed and i have no intention on subscribing.

1. I read I can replace the CD Changer and replace it with the AUX input retrofit 65 12 0 153 502 with no need to upgrade the i drive.Please confirm if correct.

2. I have a fiber optic cable in the trunk right below the driver side tail light. From what I read this is the same connection as the CD Changer in the glove box. Can I connect my CD Changer to this connection? Do i then have to upgrade the idrive?

3. Bluetooth? I would like to have my cell phone connected to my cars stereo system and if possible display on the idrive. Is there a way I can get this done without having to install the navigation system.

Basically I'm trying to do these mods as economically as possible.
By the way I'd rather have the AUX input instead of the Ipod only since i have many devices that I can plug to the aux.
Thank you in advance for any answers.

I have a 2006 E61 with BlueTooth and it shows up on the non-nav i-drive display. I've only had the car for a couple of hours so have limited information. NOW if you have a E39 M5 question...
Old 11-24-2010, 03:55 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by healthservices

Attachment 137552

Attachment 137553
I have the same unit with 4 plugs, black, red(Maroon), BLUE and ivory. Can anyone tell me what each color represents? I would like to add BT and NAV to my e60, just trying to confirm that I only need a new TCU and coding from the dealer.

Thanks for the collective wisdom of this forum.

Cheers,
Greg