Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Aux and Bluetooth Retrofit Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 05:46 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i 6mt, Titanium Silver, Sport Package, Winter Package

Ok so I've read a lot about the retrofits done on other vehicles but the issues i see with mine is that I have a different setup in mine. So:

I have 2004 545i (USA) with L7, CD Changer in the glove box, Non Navi, Looks like I have the voice command system and phone system (its in my Idrive and on the steering wheel) but it does not work because the previous owner was not subscribed and i have no intention on subscribing.

1. I read I can replace the CD Changer and replace it with the AUX input retrofit 65 12 0 153 502 with no need to upgrade the i drive.Please confirm if correct.

2. I have a fiber optic cable in the trunk right below the driver side tail light. From what I read this is the same connection as the CD Changer in the glove box. Can I connect my CD Changer to this connection? Do i then have to upgrade the idrive?

3. Bluetooth? I would like to have my cell phone connected to my cars stereo system and if possible display on the idrive. Is there a way I can get this done without having to install the navigation system.

Basically I'm trying to do these mods as economically as possible.
By the way I'd rather have the AUX input instead of the Ipod only since i have many devices that I can plug to the aux.
Thank you in advance for any answers.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:18 AM
Members

Ok so my answer to No. 3 is in my TCU. I have to check if it has bluetooth. If it doesn't then I have to replace it and then have the stealer program it. Please confirm if i am correct.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:37 AM
Members

35 views and no one knows anything?
Old 12-08-2009, 08:44 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Bimmerchop69' post='1070279' date='Dec 8 2009, 01:37 PM
35 views and no one knows anything?
I am also interested in doing something similar, I currently have the BMW Alpine Ipod adapter installed (it was cheaper than the Dension).

I would like to install bluetooth but i dont want to spend a fortune on doing it, from what i have heard I can get a Dension Gateway 500 which will serve as my aux and ipod connection + i can buy a module that plugs in to give me Bluetooth at the same time. I believe it is possible without NAV but someone who has already done it might be able to confirm.

The Dension GW 500 is by far the cheapest way to do it in my opinion.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:05 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Bob525D' post='1070283' date='Dec 8 2009, 12:44 PM
I am also interested in doing something similar, I currently have the BMW Alpine Ipod adapter installed (it was cheaper than the Dension).

I would like to install bluetooth but i dont want to spend a fortune on doing it, from what i have heard I can get a Dension Gateway 500 which will serve as my aux and ipod connection + i can buy a module that plugs in to give me Bluetooth at the same time. I believe it is possible without NAV but someone who has already done it might be able to confirm.

The Dension GW 500 is by far the cheapest way to do it in my opinion.
TCU = Telematics Control Unit

Depending on the year of your car. You need to check a few things.
1.Do you have BMW Assist( The button on your steering wheel with the phone)?
If Yes, continue below. If No, no you do not have bluetooth.

2. In the US. Do you have a model made before 2005?
IF Yes, you may or may not have it, continue below. IF No, you have the bluetooth TCU. Go to the stealer and have it programmed. continue reading below anyway.

If you answered yes to the above question you have to obtain the part number for your TCU to see if it is bluetooth enabled.

If your part number starts with 8411XXXXXXX. Then it is not a Bluetooth TCU.

If your part number starts with 8410XXXXXXX. Then it is a Bluetooth TCU. Go to the stealer and have it programmed.

I may be wrong about this but based on the research I did. this a quick way of finding out if you are able to have the bluetooth compatibility.

Unfortunately, my car which was build in 9/2003, does not have the Bluetooth enabled TCU and i have to replace it with Part No. 8410912660 or later
Old 12-09-2009, 07:19 AM
Members

oh by the way thank you for the replies. Im currently working on the answer to my question No. 2. feel free to jump in at anytime.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:14 AM
Senior Members

My understanding of the Total BMW article i read was that by using the Dension Gateway 500 for Bluetooth this meant that you didnt need any of the BMW additional modules, all you need is the Dension Gateway 500 and the relevant module. After fitting you need to pay the dealer to activate the functionality on your car, which functions the same way as the OEM kit.

I do have the steering wheel with the phone on it, but this is probably standard with an SE. I know i do not have a module in the trunk because the bracket is empty, i checked it recently.

Good luck with getting your car kitted out, I am eventually going to go down the Dension route rather than buying OEM BMW modules which will cost ???'s
Old 12-10-2009, 03:51 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Bob525D' post='1070900' date='Dec 9 2009, 01:14 PM
My understanding of the Total BMW article i read was that by using the Dension Gateway 500 for Bluetooth this meant that you didnt need any of the BMW additional modules, all you need is the Dension Gateway 500 and the relevant module. After fitting you need to pay the dealer to activate the functionality on your car, which functions the same way as the OEM kit.

I do have the steering wheel with the phone on it, but this is probably standard with an SE. I know i do not have a module in the trunk because the bracket is empty, i checked it recently.

Good luck with getting your car kitted out, I am eventually going to go down the Dension route rather than buying OEM BMW modules which will cost ???'s
Ok good luck with that. Im still open to replies guys.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:53 AM
Members

2. I have a fiber optic cable in the trunk right below the driver side tail light. From what I read this is the same connection as the CD Changer in the glove box. Can I connect my CD Changer to this connection? Do i then have to upgrade the idrive?

199 Views and Nobody knows the answer to this question?????
Old 12-14-2009, 02:19 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i sport, stick, L7, sat, nav. Charcoal/ runflat/ cdv delete. Suede headliner/ trunk, 3 way front speakers, four 8" subs in rear shelf, ACM, iPod dock in ash tray using gateway 500 with MP3 text and video on screen, MRTM aluminum pedals/ door pins, 10 farad cap, sound processor, line conditioner, 2 amps ( 4x100 and 2x200)

Originally Posted by Bimmerchop69' post='1073325' date='Dec 14 2009, 04:53 AM

199 Views and Nobody knows the answer to this question?????
The aux input is not part of the MOST optical network so adding aux has nothing to do with the cd changer. You have to install a cable going to the back of your radio and also activate the aux feature on the radio using the GT1 tool.

I do not understand what you are trying to do here. Are you trying to move your cd changer from the glove box to the trunk? Just leave your CD changer where it is and add the aux input like normal.

Also the reason your voice command does not work is not because your not subscribed to a service but because your car does not have that feature fully installed, just the button on the wheel.

Quick Reply: Aux and Bluetooth Retrofit Questions