Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Aux and Bluetooth Retrofit Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 09:24 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i sport, stick, L7, sat, nav. Charcoal/ runflat/ cdv delete. Suede headliner/ trunk, 3 way front speakers, four 8" subs in rear shelf, ACM, iPod dock in ash tray using gateway 500 with MP3 text and video on screen, MRTM aluminum pedals/ door pins, 10 farad cap, sound processor, line conditioner, 2 amps ( 4x100 and 2x200)

The aux retrofit is just a cable that has audio that goes to the back of the in dash stereo harness. It comes with a female mini jack plug but you could splice in a different connector for your devise if you wish. It does require programming in order to be able to select that input from the menu. If your car had aux programmed it would show up as a source in the menu like this AM / FM / CD / SAT / AUX. The quality of the audio is not as good ( from the iPod ) as it would be when using the Gateway 500 which also has usb and aux. One thing to consider about the AUX retrofit is the price of programming the AUX input. The Gateway 500 does not need programming on your car since you have the CDC ( to get full text on screen you might need the MP3 retrofit but it is not required for basic operation ).

You do not need to remove the CDC in order to add the AUX retrofit or the Gateway 500. It is the BMW retrofit iPod adaptors that require the removal of the CDC.
Attached Thumbnails Aux and Bluetooth Retrofit Questions-176.png  
Old 12-17-2009, 12:57 PM
Members

the hardest part of the aux retrofit is getting access to a GT1 tool. they cost an arm and a leg on ebay.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:11 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i 6mt, Titanium Silver, Sport Package, Winter Package

wow i don't mean to resurrect this but I forgot I posted this and still sit around wondering what to do. So the dension gateway is better, has usb, and doesn't require dealer programming. I think i'll go for the dension. I need to do some more research. Thanks
Old 04-18-2010, 12:25 PM
Members

My Ride: Present--'04 545i- Premium, Sport and Comfort Seat Packages; Aux Input Cable, Staggered RFT Tires, 65K miles as of 04/10, 6-Speed Manual, Active Headlights, L7 Audio, Auto Sunshades Past--(FIRST CAR EVER OWNED)--1981 318i Euro Specs

I have 2004 545i (USA) with L7, CD Changer in the glove box, Non Navi, Looks like I have the voice command system and phone system (its in my Idrive and on the steering wheel) but it does not work because the previous owner was not subscribed and i have no intention on subscribing. I HAVE THE SAME EXACT CAR, SAME EQUIPMENT. FYI

1. I read I can replace the CD Changer and replace it with the AUX input retrofit 65 12 0 153 502 with no need to upgrade the i drive.Please confirm if correct. I JUST INSTALLED THE AUX INPUT CABLE MYSELF. THE IDRIVE NEEDED TO BE PROGRAMMED AND IT COST ME $150.00 FOR PROGRAMMING, $85 WITH TAX FOR THE AUX CABLE. 2 HOURS TO INSTALL (NEED TO REMOVE GLOVE COMPARTMENT, DASH TRIM AND ACCESS REAR OF STEREO. BY THE WAY, THE PARTS GUY WILL TELL YOU THAT YOU DON'T NEED TO PROGRAM THE IDRIVE FOR THE AUX INPUT CABLE. HE IS FULL OF CRAP.

2. I have a fiber optic cable in the trunk right below the driver side tail light. From what I read this is the same connection as the CD Changer in the glove box. Can I connect my CD Changer to this connection? Do i then have to upgrade the idrive?

3. Bluetooth? I would like to have my cell phone connected to my cars stereo system and if possible display on the idrive. Is there a way I can get this done without having to install the navigation system. WHEN I WENT TO GET THE PROGRAMMING FOR THE AUX INPUT CABLE, THE MASTER TECH WAS NICE ENOUGH TO PROGRAM MY BLUETOOTH AS WELL. I KILLED TWO BIRDS WITH ONE STONE. THE PROGRAMMING FOR THE BLUE TOOTH IS THE ORIGINALY BMW BLUETOOTH SYSTEM AND I DIDN'T HAVE TO DO ANY RETROFITTING FOR IT.

Basically I'm trying to do these mods as economically as possible.
By the way I'd rather have the AUX input instead of the Ipod only since i have many devices that I can plug to the aux.
Thank you in advance for any answers.

HOPE THIS INFORMATION HELPED. ANY QUESTIONS CALL ME 702.370.7230
Old 05-12-2010, 06:16 AM
Members

I like your questions same ones I had. I see the e60 community still hasn't shined a light on this.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:49 PM
Members

No one has any insight to this thread?????
Old 05-12-2010, 02:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i

Basically you cannot run both an aux and the CD changer.

Check the build date under your door... if your car was built after 3/04 then you can go to the dealer and have bluetooth activated through programming. Vehicles built prior to February 2004 come with non-bluetooth TCUs which would need to be swapped out (TCUs sell for about $200+ online)
Old 08-09-2010, 06:46 PM
Members

Looking into the Bluetooth now,
but i can confirm, that i have got installed a AUX ontop of coding my CD Changer to play mp3's.

Now to get the bluetooth.
I read something, somewhere that the easy way to tell if you have bluetooth but just need it coded is by looking int the trunk on the left side behind the carpet over the wheel arch. one box = no BT, Two boxes = BT

can anyone confirm this..?
Old 08-10-2010, 08:43 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

not necessarily true, it also depends on when your car was made. look at the driver's door jamb for a production date.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:46 PM
Members

thanks allen, i have it listed on the engine bay.... Sep 2004.
But i have only one small box in the trunk and no bluetooth simbol...?
i thought all 09/04's had it preinstalled...just not on.

your thoughts?

Quick Reply: Aux and Bluetooth Retrofit Questions