Tires & Wheels Ask all of your Tire & Wheel questions here!

Aftermarket Wheels and suspensions for Xi

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 04:08 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535xi

Painful! But remarkably true...

For the 2010 model year (in Canada), I had no choice but to get an X-drive (they equipped all 2010 5 series with x-drive). Truth be told, I probably would have bought one to tackle our winters anyway, but after reading this forum, it may have swayed my decision!

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
this thread should be retitled "Xi owners and all the mods we cant buy" lol
Old 04-05-2010, 06:08 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: alpine white 535 E61
Model Year: 08

Originally Posted by jay bimma
they are "made to order" at KW apparently since they hardly sell the the XI coilovers. so they said 3-4 weeks for them to be made & drop shipped!

did you order these direct from the factory or a vendor...
Old 04-05-2010, 06:28 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by TLO03
did you order these direct from the factory or a vendor...
through a vendor. KW will drop ship them after they are made.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Acting on the tip from Jay, I've been doing some investigatin' into the Bilsteins. Here's what I've found out so far:

The system that fits the Xi with short springs is the Bilstein B8 shocks/struts.

I've found one vendor that is willing to ship and accepts paypal and CC, but he is not in Germany, so I'll keep looking for someone close to the manufacturer to get the best pricing. So far, I can get all four for a little over a grand US - that's shipped.

This is a straight swap for the OEM units, so no exotic work required.

No reported noise issues, like KW owners have - this is IMHO the more sedate option to lower the Xi, but do it right - not just the springs over the OEM shocks/struts, which can lead to crash and bounce in the suspension.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Acting on the tip from Jay, I've been doing some investigatin' into the Bilsteins. Here's what I've found out so far:

The system that fits the Xi with short springs is the Bilstein B8 shocks/struts.

I've found one vendor that is willing to ship and accepts paypal and CC, but he is not in Germany, so I'll keep looking for someone close to the manufacturer to get the best pricing. So far, I can get all four for a little over a grand US - that's shipped.

This is a straight swap for the OEM units, so no exotic work required.

No reported noise issues, like KW owners have - this is IMHO the more sedate option to lower the Xi, but do it right - not just the springs over the OEM shocks/struts, which can lead to crash and bounce in the suspension.

At this rate, we're going to call you the patron saint of Xi owners.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 titanium silver metallic Like new 41k Cold Weather Package

No one really knows if these shocks will be a good match since they aren't specifically designed to work with the H&R springs. You may thrown down all this coin and still have a bouncy ride. Too bad H&R doesn't make a cup kit like they did with my old VW. The cup kit had springs and shocks that were designed to go together and it was a killer setup aside from the lack of height adjustability.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:10 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by D33ZNUT5
No one really knows if these shocks will be a good match since they aren't specifically designed to work with the H&R springs. You may thrown down all this coin and still have a bouncy ride. Too bad H&R doesn't make a cup kit like they did with my old VW. The cup kit had springs and shocks that were designed to go together and it was a killer setup aside from the lack of height adjustability.

just figure out the spring rate of the H&R and then the force dampening of the shocks and its easy to see if its a good match
Old 04-06-2010, 02:16 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by D33ZNUT5
They are made to work with H&R springs since the Bilstein Sports have a shorter overall length to match with the shorter overall height of the H&R's.

I have matched up H&R springs with Bilstein Sport shocks on cars alot in the past never with any issues! They are a great combination!
Old 04-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Yes, the vendor I spoke with in UK also said that my short H&R Springs should work perfect with the Bilstein B8's - I did ask several questions about this.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:27 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535xi

This is great news V.

I've already jumped on a local opportunity for V3's, and I'm hoping and praying they don't squeak, rattle and roll

If it turns out they are as bad as PTL experienced, I may look at this as a replacement option. At the time, I went with them even with the risk of being noisy cause there was no other option

Good to know our options are growing!

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Yes, the vendor I spoke with in UK also said that my short H&R Springs should work perfect with the Bilstein B8's - I did ask several questions about this.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Wheels and suspensions for Xi