Site Comments & Suggestions Have questions, comments or suggestions about this site or how to improve it? We value your feedback!

I propose - A Private (subscription based) area on this forum

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 08:16 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='1002775' date='Sep 9 2009, 11:17 AM
But in part I blame it on the E60 ... there's nothing substantial left to talk about. In the early days we spent our time trying to figure out how things worked on our new cars, and what the best modifications were. Well, that's all been sorted out. And now, at about the time when we should be talking about major maintenance and repair issues - there aren't any. Damn you E60!
Maybe some of the stuff is stale but also it may have been, to some, when I first was involved. We always have the newbie who wants to get into the E60 thing with more than just driving it. Even if this shared info is old hat to some it is the essence of such a forum.

sixcard
Old 09-09-2009, 08:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='1002675
Also, I want to add this: POST WHORING IS ONE OF THE DUMBEST THINGS I'VE EVER SEEN. Is there an award for amount of posts that only I am not aware of? The threads started stating how youve achieved such remarkable milestones of X number of posts are just ridiculous. WHO CARES? Half of the posts are wastes of time. Please excuse my ignorance if I'm the idiot but I just dont get it.
+1 I would gladly trade RWB for these savages. RWB was a saint in comparison. Heck, RWB actually contributed substance to the forum: 30 sec transmission/ MAF cleaning threads.

We as a group ignored the problem for too long instead of dealing with it. Now a few members savage behavior, coupled with their out of control post whoring, has made their behavior look like the norm across the board. Intelligent posts are drown out by the post whores nonsensical/Senior members/mods/admins have sat by the wayside ignoring the problem while it multiplied out of control. This is not wholly the fault of the admins/mods, but lies with us senior members as well. We all need to call out these savages and right the the ship before this place becomes unrecognizable.

This forum has gone from 15000 members when I joined in 07 to over 30000 members to date. We have doubled in size but our moderation/admin team has remained constant. Reporting the post sometimes has such a delay that by the time the thread is deleted, if it is deleted, the damage has been done. Members see this behavior as normal. Rudy and Iceman, you both do an awesome job but you can't always be here or watch every single post.

1. I propose that we add a bare minimum of two new mods in addition to Rudy and Iceman. Members with enough knowledge and an even temperament to deal with questions as well as the savages. I believe there are just too many new subforums and new members for two mods to deal with effectively

2. I propose some sort of warning system, 3 strikes or the like. Some of these clowns are bowling a perfect 300 at the moment(all strikes). Every thread is laced with expletives and ignorance thanks to us ignoring the problem. We need to warn them and then ban them if they do not conform.

3. Members need to start using the REPORT button when they see something blatantly offensive or inappropriate. Again, we have ignored this problem long enough.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='1002848' date='Sep 9 2009, 06:28 PM
This forum has gone from 15000 members when I joined in 07 to over 30000 members to date. We have doubled in size but our moderation/admin team has remained constant. Reporting the post sometimes has such a delay that by the time the thread is deleted, if it is deleted, the damage has been done. Members see this behavior as normal. Rudy and Iceman, you both do an awesome job but you can't always be here or watch every single post.

1. I propose that we add a bare minimum of two new mods in addition to Rudy and Iceman. Members with enough knowledge and an even temperament to deal with questions as well as the savages.

2. I propose some sort of warning system, 3 strikes or the like. Some of these clowns are bowling a perfect 300 at the moment(all strikes). Every thread is laced with expletives and ignorance thanks to us ignoring the problem. We need to warn them and then ban them if they do not conform.

3. Members need to start using the REPORT button when they see something blatantly offensive or inappropriate. Again, we have ignored this problem long enough.
Delays are mostly because things don't get reported right away.

And there are so many posts made per day, you can't read them all, unfortunately.
I did that and had to stop it about a year back, because it consumed to much time.

Rudy and me are here most of the day, but we can't see everything.
Adding mods seems logical, but will probably not lead to the desired quicker reaction time.

We have been aware of the problem but allways wanted to keep the moderation to a minimum.
So, we very often decided to not get involved and just watched what happened.
Now we have reached a point, it seems, where we need to get involved a bit more, at least for a certain time.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:50 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='1002854' date='Sep 9 2009, 11:37 AM
Delays are mostly because things don't get reported right away.

And there are so many posts made per day, you can't read them all, unfortunately.
I did that and had to stop it about a year back, because it consumed to much time.

Rudy and me are here most of the day, but we can't see everything.
Adding mods seems logical, but will probably not lead to the desired quicker reaction time.

We have been aware of the problem but allways wanted to keep the moderation to a minimum.
So, we very often decided to not get involved and just watched what happened.
Now we have reached a point, it seems, where we need to get involved a bit more, at least for a certain time.
I agree, members are slow to report problems and most times don't bother to report them at all. I didn't mean to suggest or place blame on the mods/admins. We as members are to blame for what our community has become. We should all be a bit more involved at this point.

I do believe that adding a couple mods would help. Senior members dishing out friendly reminders/warnings just doesn't carry the same weight as when the same exact warning is given by a moderator. BTW, I'm not campaigning, I know I'm not qualified.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

I have a list of members that I would like to see banned from this forum. Who can I send that list to?
Old 09-09-2009, 09:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='1002878' date='Sep 9 2009, 12:26 PM
I have a list of members that I would like to see banned from this forum. Who can I send that list to?
Send it to me, I could probably add a few more to your list.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='1002878' date='Sep 9 2009, 01:26 PM
If I'm not on your list ... publish it!

sixcard
Old 09-09-2009, 11:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Titanium Gray 550i, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Shadowline trim, Parking Distance Conrol, Xenon, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Satellite

Originally Posted by poleposition' post='1002702' date='Sep 9 2009, 10:08 AM
Also, I want to add this: POST WHORING IS ONE OF THE DUMBEST THINGS I'VE EVER SEEN. Is there an award for amount of posts that only I am not aware of? The threads started stating how youve achieved such remarkable milestones of X number of posts are just ridiculous. WHO CARES? Half of the posts are wastes of time. Please excuse my ignorance if I'm the idiot but I just dont get it.
+1 Mod, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there like certain number of posts a member achieves and as an award, he/she gets to change his title? IMHO, this alone encourages post whoring..
Old 09-09-2009, 11:23 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='1002884' date='Sep 9 2009, 12:29 PM
Send it to me, I could probably add a few more to your list.
+1
Old 09-09-2009, 11:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='1002658' date='Sep 9 2009, 06:33 AM
Rudy is correct that many offenders are contributors and long term members. I also think Kerry is spot on and we should use it as a wakeup call to behave better. I know my recent involvement in the "Weight vs Handling" which started as a "535 vs 550 handling question" went further than it should have; I did try to end it nice after I realized though.
Hi Pennetta, as one of your co-contributors to that particular thread I really don't think that's the kind of thing that's the subject of the current concerns. No one went over the line in that thread, there were no personal attacks or the like and everyone was respectful. There were differences of opinion, sure, but they were expressed appropriately, intelligently and respectfully. I certainly had no sense that the posts there from you, me or most others were of the type that we're seeing so much of lately, and I think you're being too hard on yourself there.

Back to the main topic, I absolutely agree with you and the others that we're seeing a change in the forum and it's good to see the community come together to address it.

The text speak, inappropriate pictures, pointless or meaningless posts and generally poor behavior is out of control but it's concentrated in a few members and I think the moderators are doing a tremendous job in addressing it. Most members here, and many are now my friends, are a joy to interact with and have something interesting to contribute. We may not always see eye to eye, we may have differences of opinion but we're all here through a common connection in the E60 and/or our love of cars in general. This really is a great place to talk about our cars, I've learned a lot and while I can be a bit of curmudgeon from time to time I really enjoy the discussions and debates, both on and off topic. It's tremendous fun to interact with the likes of DRANGED and my usual co-conspirators - but importantly, even when we don't agree it stays friendly and we stay friends. That's the power of E60.net at work - and what we're seeing lately is beginning to undermine that.

So - let's not confuse discussions and debate with some of the immaturity we've started to see. My personal thanks go to our moderators for seeing what was going on and stepping in to resolve it. Keep up the great work, fellas

Quick Reply: I propose - A Private (subscription based) area on this forum