Site Comments & Suggestions Have questions, comments or suggestions about this site or how to improve it? We value your feedback!

I propose - A Private (subscription based) area on this forum

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 05:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='1002678' date='Sep 9 2009, 09:53 AM

Excluding the Lounge from "view new posts" would be good!
But it wouldn't solve the problem...it would only mask it...
Old 09-09-2009, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

But it's a start.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Does the following work with this board software?

For each forum you want to exclude from the "New Posts", note down the forum number that you want to EXCLUDE.

Now, create a new bookmark in your browser that follows the following syntax (as an example):

https://5series.net/forums/index.php...show&exclude=5

Forum #5 is The Lounge - each forum has its own number. And the exact syntax may be different...

I have bothered trying it here because I am not (yet) interested putting any forums on IGNORE.

Anyway, just an idea.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Let's take a step back and examine what the root-problem is... Is it the topic or is it the "poster/member"?
Old 09-09-2009, 06:05 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='1002691' date='Sep 9 2009, 04:03 PM
Let's take a step back and examine what the root-problem is... Is it the topic or is it the "poster/member"?
The POSTER/MEMBER !

I propose - A Private (subscription based) area on this forum-pebkac.gif
Old 09-09-2009, 06:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='1002695' date='Sep 9 2009, 09:05 AM
The POSTER/MEMBER !

Well, then if it's the poster/member, I vote to ban him/her.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:08 AM
Contributors

Also, I want to add this: POST WHORING IS ONE OF THE DUMBEST THINGS I'VE EVER SEEN. Is there an award for amount of posts that only I am not aware of? The threads started stating how youve achieved such remarkable milestones of X number of posts are just ridiculous. WHO CARES? Half of the posts are wastes of time. Please excuse my ignorance if I'm the idiot but I just dont get it.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:17 AM
Contributors

This post expresses concerns some of us have had for some time. I've felt like this has been a very different place lately, but I couldn't put my finger on why that is. (Very bold of you to take this on, poleposition - thanks).

I still try to visit here briefly each day, but lately it's more difficult to feel like you can catch up on what's new because there is so much fluff to wade through. Post-whoring is certainly part of the issue. Many veteran members here each have contributed something like "only" 2,000 posts in 4 or 5 years of participation; while some newer members have puked out 4,000 posts in less than a year! So there is something to be said about quantity versus quality in the Forum recently.

But in part I blame it on the E60 ... there's nothing substantial left to talk about. In the early days we spent our time trying to figure out how things worked on our new cars, and what the best modifications were. Well, that's all been sorted out. And now, at about the time when we should be talking about major maintenance and repair issues - there aren't any. Damn you E60!

So instead we spend time talking about cosmetic stuff (how to make our cars look cooler) and experiences we have had with our 5ers. All fine and good, but where's the beef?

One other gripe I have is the re-emergence of massive signatures. It's gotten to the point again where the space taken up by signature pics and large font text is nearly 50% of the Web page space. Ugh.

I'm not sure what the best solution is. But I pledge to continue to focus on making posts with content that adds to the overall knowledge of the Forum. And as Rudy suggests, we need to lead by example and by being more vocal about 'infractions'. Grrrr.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='1002775' date='Sep 9 2009, 11:17 AM
This post expresses concerns some of us have had for some time. I've felt like this has been a very different place lately, but I couldn't put my finger on why that is. (Very bold of you to take this on, poleposition - thanks).

I still try to visit here briefly each day, but lately it's more difficult to feel like you can catch up on what's new because there is so much fluff to wade through. Post-whoring is certainly part of the issue. Many veteran members here each have contributed something like "only" 2,000 posts in 4 or 5 years of participation; while some newer members have puked out 4,000 posts in less than a year! So there is something to be said about quantity versus quality in the Forum recently.

But in part I blame it on the E60 ... there's nothing substantial left to talk about. In the early days we spent our time trying to figure out how things worked on our new cars, and what the best modifications were. Well, that's all been sorted out. And now, at about the time when we should be talking about major maintenance and repair issues - there aren't any. Damn you E60!

So instead we spend time talking about cosmetic stuff (how to make our cars look cooler) and experiences we have had with our 5ers. All fine and good, but where's the beef?

One other gripe I have is the re-emergence of massive signatures. It's gotten to the point again where the space taken up by signature pics and large font text is nearly 50% of the Web page space. Ugh.

I'm not sure what the best solution is. But I pledge to continue to focus on making posts with content that adds to the overall knowledge of the Forum. And as Rudy suggests, we need to lead by example and by being more vocal about 'infractions'. Grrrr.
Well said and thank you for adding to the discussion. Damn that E60!

Before the last few days, I think some of the whores thought their actions weren't bothering anyone but now it's clear -- since many are becoming vocal about it -- that it is, in fact, bothering people. I sense a change in the air and I'm encouraged by what's been transpiring lately...
Old 09-09-2009, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

Same here.

I totally agree and thank you for adding your reply tachyon!

Quick Reply: I propose - A Private (subscription based) area on this forum