Site Comments & Suggestions Have questions, comments or suggestions about this site or how to improve it? We value your feedback!

Frequently Asked Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 10:55 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lomag' date='Jun 29 2004, 12:33 PM
Many folks seem to be willing to help answer questions. I figure it might be better to have one person do it (such as myself) and then post the results. Afterwards changes and corrections could be made. This way will help keep this more organized.

Let me know whatcha all think.
If your goal is to keep things more organized, then one person should write all the FAQs and present them to the members.

If your goal is to build a more cohesive community, another option would be to have a period of time allowed for each member to answer the questions that they know, submit the info to Lomag for editing and consolidation.

This way everyone who wants to help build the board is able to contribute and be part of our community.

At the beginning of each FAQ, the contributing members ID (or name, if they choose) can be included. In addition, if someone has additional information to add to a FAQ after it's done, the process for doing so should also be included.

Just my .Q2
Old 06-30-2004, 11:26 AM
sj3
Senior Members

--> Owners Questions & Common Problems
How do I tell what software version I have?

Although some users have reported getting to a secret iDrive menu or some secret On-board-computer codes, it turns out the only reliable way of determing your software version is to ask your dealer for a computer printout when your car is in for service. If you are especially curious about these hidden menus, please search for forum posts or subjects containing the words 'secret' or 'hidden'. So far, nothing useful can be changed using these hidden menus.

Why didn't my car come with the red rear reflectors?

In the U.S., our government that for some reason the red reflectors seen on European cars are dangerous to the U.S. population. They forced BMW to replace them with plain black inserts for U.S. deliveries. Many users report they happily replaced their black inserts with the red reflectors ordered from bekkers.com. To replace them, use strong fishing line going in from the outside side and then pull firmly. The new ones snap right in. Make sure to thread the line from the outside side, not the side by the license plate.

Everything slides around in my trunk, is there anything I can do about it?

Please see the following post for helpful hints on this. It turns out that the trunk liner is reversible and the rubber side keeps things from sliding. Thanks, Rudy, for this tip. http://e60.doit.wisc.edu/forums/index.php?...pic=1101&hl=tip

How come the HUD display disappears if I'm wearing my sunglasses?

Some users report that the HUD display disappears when wearing polarized sunglasses. Reports indicate that the display appears fine with non-polarized sunglasses.

Can I get NAV installed after my car is delivered?

BMW North America has now made the parts available for a retro-fit kit. The part numbers, posted here: http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e60/5318564-1.html are:

CCC Retrofit/Conversion Kit US:65 90 0 390 844

You also need one of the following dashboard trim panel (covered under warranty) color to match dashboard color...

Black: 51 45 7 063 152
Grey: 51 45 7 063 153
Beige: 51 45 7 063 154
Brown: 51 45 7 063 155

How come there is so much static on my radio?

Some users have reported significant static on AM, FM and sometimes on CD. There is apparently a BMW Service Bulletin on this. Your dealer should have details. Not everyone experiences this problem.

My voice control doesn't work, why?

Although BMW Phone owners can enjoy voice control over their phone, only owners of the Nav option (Nav Professional in Europe) can enjoy voice control over entertainment, climate, car settings, and navigation. Voice command adds tremendously to the efficiency of using iDrive. Again, in the U.S., voice command of anything other than phone requires the Navigation option.

Where can I find a list of voice commands?

Please see the following post for a list of voice command. Also, please note that this list can change when software upgrades are installed. http://e60.doit.wisc.edu/forums/inde...showtopic=1288

Sam
P.S. Lomag, please insert a space between BMW and CCA. They are sticklers on this! Thanks.

Sorry but two more questions for the file:

Can all the car's options be set in iDrive, or do any require the dealer to set like they used to?

So far, the only two settings that can not be done in iDrive are 1)Daytime Running Lights off or on, and, 2) Sensitivity of automatic headlights normal, sensitive, or very sensitive. The meanings of these sensitivity settings are the opposite of what you would expect. Basically, if you want to wait longer for your lights to come on automatically at night or when them to turn off earlier as it gets light out, use the 'very sensitive' setting. [can someone help me to better explain this, please?]

How come my headlights don't turn when I turn the car?

Assuming that you have the correct (Adaptive Xenons) option, make sure your headlight switch is set one click to the left, in the Automatic position. The auto-turning feature does not function in the normal 'on' switch position two clicks to the right.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:24 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

Jimbo: Great idea, I hadn't thought of that. My original idea was to just have a simple HTML page with the questions and answers as the FAQ outside of the forums. I'll still do that but in addition we can create a FAQ sub-forum here where I'd post all the questions and answers too. Then on the HTML page under each answer I'll post the link to each post so anyone browsing the site can check the forums to see if anything new has been added to the question, changed, etc... Great idea!

Sam: Thanks so much! Ill integrate your answers in shortly. I've put that space between BMW and CCA in the acctual page.

If anyone can answer the Pre-Ownership questions that'd be great! After that I've pretty much got everything else taken care of!
Old 06-30-2004, 11:04 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sj3' date='Jun 30 2004, 01:26 PM
Everything slides around in my trunk, is there anything I can do about it?

Please see the following post for helpful hints on this. It turns out that the trunk liner is reversible and the rubber side keeps things from sliding. Thanks, Rudy, for this tip. http://e60.doit.wisc.edu/forums/index.php?...pic=1101&hl=tip
Take a look at my trunk tip here<--- for even more control of the items you put in your trunk.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:41 AM
sj3
Senior Members

FAQ Addition (need help clarifying answer please, but I'll make a start...

How do I listen to my iPod, or other MP3 player, in my new E60?

Apple and BMW have formed a partnership to easily allow connecting an iPod. However, at the time of this writing, the interface was not yet available for the E60. The recommended method, again, at the time of this writing, is to connect your iPod through an FM Transmitter and listen to it through an FM radio station. There are many sources for FM Transmitters, including Radioshack, but the best results appear so far to be had using an iTrip model, made by Griffin Technologies. The iTrip is made specifically to use with an iPod; it is not known whether it works with other MP3 players. One hint: plug your iPod in to a 12V power source; the iTrip will drain the iPods batteries quickly otherwise and better reception is also gained. This solution will have to suffice until someone comes up with a proper aux connector for the E60. Much information may be found by doing a search on the various BMW internet forums. See the following post for an example: http://e60.doit.wisc.edu/forums/index.php?...ic=1083&hl=ipod
Old 07-02-2004, 07:39 AM
sj3
Senior Members

--> Pre-Ownership Questions
How do I negotiate a good price when buying my new car?

Much has been written about this subject, especially for the U.S. buyer. The car dealership profession has many secrets and many of them are known and free for the asking. Three helpful hints follow before posting other sources:

1) Never start your negotiating until you know the invoice prices the dealer is paying and also current incentives and/or rebates. This information is free and available at edmunds.com. If you know that the dealer is receiving a 2% hold-back (or 'award') from the manufacturer, even though this isn't an award to you, this information should and will affect your negotiating tactics.

2) Always negotiate from invoice price, NEVER from MSRP (retail). As soon as you ask for a certain amount off MSRP, your salesman will have a big grin on his face.

3) Go for your test drives in the middle of the month but go to negotiate/purchase close to the end of the month when the salesmen are desperate to fill their quotas.

Sources for negotiating info:

1) Border's or Barnes & Nobel bookstores
2) Edmunds.com and many other internet sites. 'Search' is your friend.
3) The "Rizzo Method" described here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/faq/rizzo.html
4) There is an internet forum that dealers frequent and a few are extremely helpful when questions are posted. See the ask-a-dealer forum at bimmerfest.com. The following is an example post there: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44917.

How long will it take to build my car and have it delivered?

It will take from 7 to 10 days for BMW to build your new E60. However, delivery takes a bit longer, especially for U.S. buyers. Here's the basic flow, with time estimates. Please remember, however, that some steps have more variability than others. I've tried to point these out.

1) You officially order your new E60.
2) Your new E60 receives its production number.
This can be accomplished anywhere from immediately to several weeks, or more, later. It depends on how soon your dealer can get a production slot. In some cases, your dealer already has a slot filled by them (an ordered but unsold car). In these cases, they can update the car filling that slot to match your selected options and colors. When you order your car, always ask the dealer when you can get a production number. This number is critical to your ability to track your auto through the build and delivery process. It means that BMW North America knows about your car. It's official!! You can now register with BMW Owners Circle and should (http://oc.bmwusa.com). We'll say this step will take one week, for example, but this can be highly variable. Hound your dealer until you get this production number.
3) Your car enters production and receives a VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) usually within a week or so of getting a production number.
This is where your auto starts it's trip through the factory in Gernany. In about 10 days, your shiny new E60 will pop out the other end of the factory, completed! There are several steps through the factory. For example, Body Shop, Paint Shop, etc. Your dealer gets daily updates so he or she can tell you what part of the factory your car is in. Write down the VIN number you receive from your dealer or Owner's Circle. So far, we've got 1 week to get your prod. no., 1 week to enter production, and 10 days to build your car. Total so far: 24 days (3+ weeks)!
4) Your car goes from the factory to a shipping dock and awaits a parking spot on a large boat (they rarely sink but it has happened). Although it only requires a day or two to get from the factory to the boat docks, waiting for that parking spot can take up to a week and occasionally longer. The name of this step is Awaiting Transport and it is highly variable in how long it will take. Keep calling your dealer to see if your on a boat yet. Total so far: about 31 days.
5) The boat sails!! This step is called En Route. It takes about 12 days for your new E60 to sail from Germany to the east coast of the U.S. and about 15 days to get from Germany to the U.S. west coast. We'll use the east coast for our running time estimate. Total so far: 43 days.
6) U.S. Arrival and preparation at one of the VPCs (Vehicle Prep Center). Normally, only 2 or 3 days is needed at the VPC. Sometimes it can stay there longer if there was any damage in shipment or your car needs a software update that hasn't quite been released but is about to be. We'll say 3 days, but the VPC doesn't work on the weekends. Total so far: 46 days. It's getting close; start cleaning your garage!!!
7) Released for transport: Now your new E60 is done at the prep center and is on a truck headed for your dealer. It's hard to predict the time needed for this step as that completely depends on how far your dealer is from one of the three US prep centers (New Jersey, South Carolina, and California). We'll say 2 days. Total so far: 48 days.
8) Dealer prep. The dealer only requires about 1/2-day to prep your car for you. Seat covers will be removed, gas tank filled, etc.

Total time to get your new E60: maybe about 49-50 days but they're not quite elapsed days as some steps stop on the weekends (e.g. VPC, dealer prep) and some don't stop on the weekends (the boat still sails on Sat./Sun. We'll say about 8 weeks. In my case, I ordered on 2/14/04 and took delivery on 5/17/04. My dealer took almost a month to get a production number.

How can I find out the status of my car's production?

There are three ways to track your car through the build and delivery process. They are:

1) Your dealer. (they have the most up-to-date information. Others sources can be at least a few days to 1 week behind).
2) BMW Owner's Circle web site (http://oc.bmwusa.com). Again, not completely up to date. Some have reported that Owner's Circle said their car was still on the boat when the dealer called the customer saying their new E60 was ready for pickup.
3) BMW North America at 800-831-1117. There is an IVR system where you punch in your car's VIN number and you get a recorded status announcement. Again, not as up-to-date as your dealer

One really cool tracking aid is the shipping company's web site. In many cases, you key in your new car's VIN number and the site will tell you what boat it's on and their current location and schedule information. Once it's reasonably close to the US, a Coast Guard website can show you a picture of exactly where your boat is and give the latest weather/sea report that your car's boat made over its radio! Search for "tracking" in the forums' search utility, in the subject field.

When taking delivery of my new car, is there a list of things to check on?

[need help here. We should put a pointer in to the previously published 7-series delivery checklist but I can't find it to point to.]

What is the difference between the standard warranty and included maintenance?

Standard Warranty - covers anything that breaks or doesn't work right during the warranty period.
Maintenance - actually, "Scheduled Maintenance" This covers service needs that your car actually asks for. For example, the E60 has the built-in capability of knowing when it's ready for an oil change, brake fluid, etc. If you want an oil change sooner than the car asks for, this is not covered under this plan.

What are the break-in restrictions on new BMW's?

This information is clearly laid out in your Owner's Manual, but the basic restrictions, for the first 1200 miles are:

1) Do not exceep 4500 RPM
2) Do not exceep 100 MPH
3) Change speed often
4) Avoid hard braking
Old 07-02-2004, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

sj3, you are the MAN!

Thanks for stepping up!!
Old 07-02-2004, 09:39 AM
Members
Senior Members

Yeah seriously!! Awesome!! Thanks!

I've been quite busy the last day so i haven't had any time to do much work on it but I'll have time this weekend!
Old 07-05-2004, 12:41 PM
Members
Senior Members

Hey Folks,

Our FAQ is nearly complete. There's only 3 questions which I can't comeup with a clear answer to and they are:

Where is the E60 built? At what factory?
What is Logic7?
When taking delivery of my new car, is there a list of things to check on?

Any help to answer those would be greatly appreciated.

I also have a comment for sj3 and everyone:
In one of the answers you mentioned it takes 7 - 10 days for BMW to build a car? Who told you this? I'm pretty sure it takes a single day, even less than a day which is why each car has a specific build date. If anyone can clarify this for us I'd be greatful! I don't want to post incorrect information.

Thanks!! Hope all you americans had a good 4th of July!
Old 07-05-2004, 12:51 PM
Senior Members

Hi Mark

Here's a HK factsheet on L7, which I think should be included in the FAQ.

Quick Reply: Frequently Asked Questions