Site Comments & Suggestions Have questions, comments or suggestions about this site or how to improve it? We value your feedback!

Efficient 5series.net searching technique

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Lomag
I can bring the google search box back but I thought most members didn't like it (?)
Count me as one of the members who doesn't want the Google box to return (unless it's proven to work better than it did in the past...) Believe me, I'm a fan of Google but as far as a primary search function on a message board like this, in many cases it just didn't work very well. The native IPB search is smart enough to not look at signatures, etc. and can be applied to selected forums so it's much better at finding what you're looking for.

To me, the main problem with the native search is that it doesn't work the way people are used to so it doesn't always give them what they want. In my opinion, the solution is to find a better way to explain how the native search works so people know how to use it the way it was designed to work.

I can't speak for others but I think you'll find that the people who know how to use the IPB search are fine with it and the people who don't use it well are the ones who'd rather see the Google search return. The problem with adding back the Google search is that if it's there, many people will never even see/notice the native search feature. Remember, the Google search can always be accomplished directly through Google.com by just adding "site:5series.net" or "site:e60.net" to the search terms...
Old 03-18-2010, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

^agreed, I honestly never used the native search function until Rudy mentioned it (thanx Rudy). IMO, it's much better than the google search bar. As Rudy stated, you just need to learn how to use it properly (which I am still in the process of doing)

Lomag: any response regarding the incomplete list of topics listed under member profile>find topics....I think that incomplete list carries over into the search function and makes it harder to find threads as well (when you know the specific author)...
Old 05-02-2010, 08:54 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
^agreed, I honestly never used the native search function until Rudy mentioned it (thanx Rudy). IMO, it's much better than the google search bar. As Rudy stated, you just need to learn how to use it properly (which I am still in the process of doing)

Lomag: any response regarding the incomplete list of topics listed under member profile>find topics....I think that incomplete list carries over into the search function and makes it harder to find threads as well (when you know the specific author)...

Anyone going to respond to Gene's query??
Old 05-03-2010, 04:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by DRANGED
Anyone going to respond to Gene's query??
I imagine Lomag is the one who needs to answer that...
Old 05-03-2010, 06:43 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

Hi Guys,

I'm so sorry I missed this post. My life has been a bit crazy the last few weeks and months and will continue to be for the next few months. I'm getting married in June and just bought a house I'm trying to fix up before the wedding.

In any case, I searched through the forum settings and found this setting:

Limit "Posts/Topics by this user" results to X days
If you have a large post or topic database then you may wish to restrict the search to X days past the user's last post date. So if the user last posted in March and you entered 30 days, it would start looking from February onwards.

It was set to 365 limiting search results to the most recent year. I set this to 0 so search, find new posts / threads, etc.. should display everything now. Hopefully!
Old 05-03-2010, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

thanx Lomag, hope that's the fix...congrats on the new house and your upcoming wedding...

***edit: seems to have worked, a search I tried last night was only getting hits from 2009+, today some posts from 2007 showed up in that same search...
Old 05-03-2010, 06:56 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

Great news! & Thank you