Site Comments & Suggestions Have questions, comments or suggestions about this site or how to improve it? We value your feedback!

Efficient 5series.net searching technique

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 07:55 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i sport

since the upgrade, and switch from google search, i now have a very hard time finding things here i used to find in seconds. i have tried using quotes around the search phrase which seemed to help such as "LCI tail lights". but it is still returning quite a few less than desirable results.

i never had any problems using the google search engine.now it's a chore at best for me. i have seen others post they like the new version. please, share your searching technique with me
Old 03-16-2010, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

use the advanced search options...you'll be able to narrow your search down to specific sub forums and/or specific members...only problem I am having is that since the switch to the newer software version, some threads just don't show up in my search, even if I know who the author of the thread is, case in point: member Tiago posted a great write up on choosing tire sizes for 166/67 tires, yet using the advanced search option with the tips mentioned above, his thread does not appear in my search...so takes me a bit more searching to get to it (to get/provide the link , I actually end up searching under my member name ). Also, use the "+" symbol to combine words/phrases used together

I commented on the incomplete list of topics posted by members in another thread, but no response from the mods and/or admins...

http://forums.5serie...topics-started/
Old 03-16-2010, 08:13 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
use the advanced search options...you'll be able to narrow your search down to specific sub forums and/or specific members...only problem I am having is that since the switch to the newer software version, some threads just don't show up in my search, even if I know who the author of the thread is, case in point: member Tiago posted a great write up on choosing tire sizes for 166/67 tires, yet using the advanced search option with the tips mentioned above, his thread does not appear in my search...so takes me a bit more searching to get to it (to get/provide the link , I actually end up searching under my member name ). Also, use the "+" symbol to combine words/phrases used together

I commented on the incomplete list of topics posted by members in another thread, but no response from the mods and/or admins...

http://forums.5serie...topics-started/
thanks for the reply

i was hoping to not need to go advanced for every search, but perhaps it is a byproduct of the upgrade

i miss the google accuracy and ease of use
Old 03-16-2010, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by -Mike-
thanks for the reply

i was hoping to not need to go advanced for every search, but perhaps it is a byproduct of the upgrade

i miss the google accuracy and ease of use
I stopped using google search a long time ago...the advanced search option is much better
Old 03-16-2010, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

The Google search returned just as much garbage since it indexed everything on the page, not just the post and/or subject. In other words, if you searched for something that happens to also appear in someone's signature, you got back each and every topic where that person posted. Also, the Google search kept returning results in the "outline" format which also caused people's board display settings to be changed. Even worse, if someone posted a link from a Google search, anyone who clicked it would have their display settings changed too!

If you still absolutely have to have the Google search, just use Google and put the following text after the search term(s):
site: 5series.net

The key to using the native board search (which I admit act a bit differently than the old software version) is the plus sign instead of quotes and the asterisk wild card. Also, it can be very helpful to limit your searches to a specific forum (which Google never let you do.)

Here's a link to some search hints I posted a few years ago:
https://5series.net/forums/topic/347...ost__p__369754

For some reason, the search help on the new version of the software seems to be gone...
Old 03-17-2010, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Rudy
For some reason, the search help on the new version of the software seems to be gone...

Forum help, top right under your user name.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Iceman
Forum help, top right under your user name.
It's not the same as before...

The old help explained the concept of the plus signs, etc. The new one just goes over each search field but doesn't really explain how to actually perform the advanced searching. Also, the advanced page does not offer as many options...
Old 03-17-2010, 08:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

I am still soo confused by the search function, and honestly probably always will be. My main problem is I just can't remember who the OP was in a topic 90% of the time, short term memory loss haha
Old 03-18-2010, 05:10 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

I can bring the google search box back but I thought most members didn't like it (?)
Old 03-18-2010, 05:35 AM
Contributors

1st off, thanks for responding here

2nd, I personally would prefer the google search

IMO, I now have to use the advanced search now , which adds an extra step to searching that never existed for me before

but who the hell am i??

i too have seen other members mention this new search function is better, so perhaps you will never please everyone

Quick Reply: Efficient 5series.net searching technique