Private Member Classifieds Items for sale by members who are not vendors should be posted here.

Are people trust worthy on this forum?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 02:07 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: See my signature

This is a big board with 30,000 plus members. Most members that I have met are fantastic. But whenever do have that large a collection of people, not every single one of them is going to be ideal.

I have never had a bad buying experience here. I've bought stuff from members brabusw209amg, theXman and Stylezzza. All three were and are fantastic.

I do agree that if the seller agreed to hold the item for a day he was obligated to do so. If the buyer did not want to hold it, he should have refused to do so.

Sounds like the seller was trying to have it both ways according to your account of events.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc' post='994030' date='Aug 31 2009, 12:54 PM
See that's harsh, and actually comes off as having an attitude to me. "Allowance from parents"? What is this?!

In case you didn't read the original post, the guy said he would pay him the "NEXT" day. This wasn't a unclear, maybe sort of thing. They agreed upon next day, and the seller goes and sell it to someone else without any notification. That's just wack.
Haha don't mind C his aunt flo is visiting right now
Old 08-31-2009, 02:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='994143' date='Aug 31 2009, 03:07 PM
This is a big board with 30,000 plus members. Most members that I have met are fantastic. But whenever do have that large a collection of people, not every single one of them is going to be ideal.

I have never had a bad buying experience here. I've bought stuff from members brabusw209amg, theXman and Stylezzza. All three were and are fantastic.

I do agree that if the seller agreed to hold the item for a day he was obligated to do so. If the buyer did not want to hold it, he should have refused to do so.

Sounds like the seller was trying to have it both ways according to your account of events.
+1 the seller isn't your buddy and really doesn't give a fuck about you, it'll reflect in his karma don't trip...
Old 08-31-2009, 02:24 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='994021' date='Aug 31 2009, 03:33 PM
Sounds like you had a verbal agreement with the seller that was broken. Sorry to hear. I'd like to think that this behavior is very rare here. The buyer/seller feedback section was created just for instances like this....

Please stop using the "money talks" phrase. It's completely not what this forum is about. Sounds like we have a bunch of money hungry scavengers here. If you cannot hold yourself to/respect a verbable/typed/pm'd agreement....peddle/seek your goods somewhere else.

IMO, "dibs" or "you have pm" is an additional way to let the seller know one is interested and wants to purchase the product. For another member to see that, reply with "money talks", or "dibs don't mean sh!t"and go ahead and still try bypass the original offer is just plain shady. I'd rather not do business with anyone that practices in this manner.
+1
Old 08-31-2009, 02:31 PM
BC.
Members

My Ride: 06 530i titanium gray babyy!!!! loaded up the ass

I'd be riding on the some M5 rims if people kept their word, but a bird in the hand is better than two in the bushes. It's a bit of a blind leap to trust people on the internet, not just this forum, so when you have a sure thing, most people will take it, instead of waiting for a pending transaction to go through. Hey, just be happy you didn't try to meet up with the hot model from myspace, only to have it end up being a snaggle tooth sea donkey. You just can't trust people on the internet.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:46 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by heelsmj' post='993853' date='Aug 31 2009, 11:25 AM
Over the weekend I tried to make a purchase on this forum, I agreed on the price with the person and told them I would pay tomorrow when I get paid. He said that was fine, today I get a PM saying sorry I sold it I needed the money. This is really not the way I do business and I hope it isn't the norm here. At the very least I should have received a PM letting me know he had another buyer and giving me the opportunity to come up with the money right away. To make a deal with someone and then have this happen is a little disconcerting. I am sure if the tables were turned he would not have been pleased with me.

So please tell me as a newbie can I trust the senior members of this forum?? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Mitch
Run an ad for something for sale (car, tires, bicycle, etc).

Typical responses to ads:

1. A good proportion of potential buyers will tell you that they are calling for a friend or relative. You do not hear from them or from relative.

2. Another proportion tell you that they will call back later today or tomorrow. Most fail to call back.

3. Another proportion will agree to meet you somewhere, and they do not show.

As others have said here, cash speaks.

Put yourself in seller's shoes. If I appeared at your doorstep with cash, would you turn down the cash and wait for a few of the other potential buyers?
Old 08-31-2009, 03:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='994021' date='Aug 31 2009, 12:33 PM
Sounds like you had a verbal agreement with the seller that was broken. Sorry to hear. I'd like to think that this behavior is very rare here. The buyer/seller feedback section was created just for instances like this....

Please stop using the "money talks" phrase. It's completely not what this forum is about. Sounds like we have a bunch of money hungry scavengers here. If you cannot hold yourself to/respect a verbable/typed/pm'd agreement....peddle/seek your goods somewhere else.

IMO, "dibs" or "you have pm" is an additional way to let the seller know one is interested and wants to purchase the product. For another member to see that, reply with "money talks", or "dibs don't mean sh!t"and go ahead and still try bypass the original offer is just plain shady. I'd rather not do business with anyone that practices in this manner.
+1 This place is much better than all of this, let's keep it that way!
Old 08-31-2009, 03:10 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by heelsmj' post='993853' date='Aug 31 2009, 11:25 AM
Over the weekend I tried to make a purchase on this forum, I agreed on the price with the person and told them I would pay tomorrow when I get paid. He said that was fine, today I get a PM saying sorry I sold it I needed the money. This is really not the way I do business and I hope it isn't the norm here. At the very least I should have received a PM letting me know he had another buyer and giving me the opportunity to come up with the money right away. To make a deal with someone and then have this happen is a little disconcerting. I am sure if the tables were turned he would not have been pleased with me.

So please tell me as a newbie can I trust the senior members of this forum?? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Mitch
What kind of conversation did you have with potential buyer?

1. Did you exchange phone #s?
2. Did you and he/she agree on a time to complete transaction?
3. Did you and he/she agree on a place to complete transaction?
4. Did you and he/she talk about other buyers coming up with $$.
5. Did you and he/she agree on any notification if another buyer brought cash early?
6. How much re-assurance did you give seller that you were intent on this purchase?
7. Did you specifically tell seller that he/she should call you?
8. Did you and seller exchange some personal info. like where both of you work?
9. Did you offer to have someone else pick up the item for you?
10. Did you offer to pay via paypal?
11. Did you give your ebay feedback rating to seller?

Again, there are sometimes tons of potential buyers out there--until it comes to cash time. Then many, if not most, disappear. The way to deal with that is to re-assure the seller that you are undoubtedly extremely interested.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:50 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by z06bigbird' post='994174' date='Aug 31 2009, 03:46 PM
Run an ad for something for sale (car, tires, bicycle, etc).

Typical responses to ads:

1. A good proportion of potential buyers will tell you that they are calling for a friend or relative. You do not hear from them or from relative.

2. Another proportion tell you that they will call back later today or tomorrow. Most fail to call back.

3. Another proportion will agree to meet you somewhere, and they do not show.

As others have said here, cash speaks.

Put yourself in seller's shoes. If I appeared at your doorstep with cash, would you turn down the cash and wait for a few of the other potential buyers?
Yes, it's called integrity. If I agreed with someone else already that I would sell it to them and will wait for them to get me the cash then I would, should and need to honor that deal.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='994226' date='Aug 31 2009, 06:50 PM
Yes, it's called integrity. If I agreed with someone else already that I would sell it to them and will wait for them to get me the cash then I would, should and need to honor that deal.

+1 Well said Grand Poobutt.

Quick Reply: Are people trust worthy on this forum?