Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

Swedish car mag: E60 is dangerous

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 12:12 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by paasan' date='Oct 22 2005, 11:22 PM
1. The magazine is a very sober and reputable magazine.
2. The car has been sent to BMW in Germany - they would never test the car there if they didn't believe the maagazine might have discovered a fault.
[snapback]187420[/snapback]
I guess the good thing is that a modified version of the software could be released if required?

Or perhaps they'll recall all the runflat tyres and replace them for 'normal' tyres and install a spacesaver spare! (Suddenly wakes up!)
Old 10-23-2005, 12:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 535 D - to be delivered end Feb 2005 - color E08 - comfort seats - executive leather balck - 122 wheels - dynamic drive - active steering - pack luxe - tecnology pack - moon roof - 6CD player - hifi system - spare wheel - BT phone

These tests starts to drive me crazy. In France it is the same. Even if this newspaper is known to be reliable, please note that the car was fully loaded (whith healphy Scandinavians). Usually for these tests, the car carries on passenger and some luggages.
On top it was a 523: it means the car equiped with the smallest tyres of the whole 5 range. And on top, with DSC, the car just hits the last cone...

My conclusion: if you want to find a breach in the safety record of a car by whatever means: you will find it.

But for us as consummer, we may end with cars very boring to drive: in France the press pointed out that the frame settings of the Peugeot 607 were to agressive and that in this test it could rool over.... The results was that Peugeot ends with a far less pretty to drive 607...

Freud am Fahren: attention!!!!
Old 10-23-2005, 12:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 535 D - to be delivered end Feb 2005 - color E08 - comfort seats - executive leather balck - 122 wheels - dynamic drive - active steering - pack luxe - tecnology pack - moon roof - 6CD player - hifi system - spare wheel - BT phone

May I also add that these tests are theory: last week end i was speeding between 140 kph and 150 kph on the left fast track of an highway when I suddendly saw in a curve a car just crashed in front of me. In full emergency I add to change track. Hopefullu it was free... Even if these Goodyear NCT5 slept a little on the 4 wheels, the car behave perfectly (equiped with active steering and dynamic drive): nearly no roll and very easy to control...
Old 10-23-2005, 05:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

There is not a car in the world which give all the pleasure and do not anything wrong if missused!! That "loose end" was caused by driver! If You look front tyres they turn first right just a little and then left. Rally drivers use that whole time when they try to take speed of befor hard turn.

If we want absolutely safe car it has to be statue! Because car what move is always dangerous. Even Volvo will turn over if there is loose sand under and You try to turn like that! Or in huge slope.

Did they try it more than ones?

BTW I have done that too on the race track, because I wanted to see if that is possible with DSC on. It is! I had speed about 80 km/h.

Like Mythbusters say:"busted"

Skaffa
Old 10-28-2005, 08:11 AM
Members

My Ride: Present: Z4 35iS 03-11 production, Black Metallic, loaded :-) 535dA Touring 06 production. Silver Gray Metallic, Xenon, Adaptive Lights, Pro Nav, PDC , Logic 7, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, Panorama moon/sun roof, Aux. heater, Actve stearing, M-sport package, CD changer etc. Past: 528iA Touring - 98 with most options.

Just talked with my lokal sales rep. He informed me that he had got an internal message today that the journalist had been down in M?nich and had run the same test again under the same circumstances. According to the sales rep it had gone well.

I am looking forward to hear what the journalists will say.

Swedes! Keep your eyes open and report back
Old 11-01-2005, 10:37 PM
Members

My Ride: Present: Z4 35iS 03-11 production, Black Metallic, loaded :-) 535dA Touring 06 production. Silver Gray Metallic, Xenon, Adaptive Lights, Pro Nav, PDC , Logic 7, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, Panorama moon/sun roof, Aux. heater, Actve stearing, M-sport package, CD changer etc. Past: 528iA Touring - 98 with most options.

BMW's response and result of the tests in M?nich has been published. This include video photage of the tests and comments in English.

You will find the links here BMW link

A copy of the press anouncement is here:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
BMW_523i_manage_moose_test.pdf (46.1 KB, 163 views)