Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

Swedish car mag: E60 is dangerous

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 03:53 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

The Swedish car magazine -Teknikens V?rld- tested the 523i in a so called deer test and they say that the E60 is dangerous when the car has 4 passanger and full luggage onboard.

"It is a question of life or death" says the Teknikens V?rlds-magazines editor-in-chief Daniel Frodin.

See the video (in Swedish):
mms://qstream-wm.qbrick.com/04755/BMW/0522_bmw_low.wmv

The Swedish BMW information manager Nils Simonsson, says that the test is done with markable overload, and is therefore false.

The article furthermore says that BMW in Germany is now testing the car.

In my meaning, the problem, if there is one, has to do with the progamming of the DSC or...
Old 10-21-2005, 04:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 BMW E60 530d High Executive

don't see the problem, car drifts a little bit that's all. It didn't flip over or something like that, so there isn't a problem in my opinion
Old 10-21-2005, 04:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Now I found an other article in an other Swedish newspaper (Aftonbladet).

They now think that the problem might be caused by Run Flat tyres.
They seem to be so stiff so that the DSC doesn't react soon enough.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by Ricracing' date='Oct 21 2005, 07:30 AM
Now I found an other article in an other Swedish newspaper (Aftonbladet).

They now think that the problem might be caused by Run Flat tyres.
They seem to be so stiff so that the DSC doesn't react soon enough.
[snapback]186946[/snapback]
well there you go, I just do not like the runflats. I mean I love the concept and the whole idea but I think it needs few more years for its perfection. The tire is really hard so grip between the road and the car is affected.
However I do not think it is dangerous or anything like that. Just got back from race track where spend 2 hours of tough ride on runflats and no problem.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:50 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ralph-NL' date='Oct 21 2005, 12:17 PM
don't see the problem, car drifts a little bit that's all. It didn't flip over or something like that, so there isn't a problem in my opinion
[snapback]186941[/snapback]
It was a very aggressive turn in and change of direction... I'm not surprised the back swung out slightly? How do other cars react?
Old 10-21-2005, 09:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by colejl' date='Oct 21 2005, 11:50 AM
[quote name='Ralph-NL' date='Oct 21 2005, 12:17 PM']don't see the problem, car drifts a little bit that's all. It didn't flip over or something like that, so there isn't a problem in my opinion
[snapback]186941[/snapback]
It was a very aggressive turn in and change of direction... I'm not surprised the back swung out slightly? How do other cars react?
[snapback]187029[/snapback]
[/quote]

And did they observe the proper tire inflation for the loading they had? I doubt the test had much scientific merit. The media are generatlly writers first, scientists... never??? The product of their attempts to be "scientific" are generally only marginally better than the pataphysics exhibit at MOMO.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 530DA, 05, Black Saphire

quote from the article: Even the little Opel Corsa did it better then the BMW :'(
Old 10-21-2005, 10:59 AM
Contributors

[snapback]187029[/snapback]
[/quote]

They mean that even the Opel (Vauxhall) Corsa does better!

OK, the Swedes are hysteric about everything, but do they anyway have a point?

But remember, that they are trying to keep the Volvo going...
Ford is not doing that good!
Old 10-21-2005, 11:04 AM
Members

My Ride: 530DA, 05, Black Saphire

Volvo and Mercedes had no problem at al, in the same test....
Old 10-21-2005, 12:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I think it's a rigged test, made by Swedish Volvo proponents to help their favorite car brand improve its safety image. :thumbsdown:

Quick Reply: Swedish car mag: E60 is dangerous