Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

RFT - Tire test in German Magazine Sport Auto

Old 06-03-2006, 11:26 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Please see signature

Originally Posted by Robbo' post='290892' date='Jun 1 2006, 02:44 PM
The difference in the wet is remarkable - the brake distance from 100km/h differed some 4m's!! Also the handling in the wet was very poor compared with the non-RFT tire.
I just thought that only the comfort issue was a stake here but this clearly points out the safety argument as an important factor to consider.
This is very interesting. My old RFTs felt slippery and skittery (if that's a word) in the wet. I just couldn't live with them, and I am extremely pleased with my Conti SC2s so far - but then I haven't had a puncture yet!

My wife still insists on RFTs on her MINI Cooper (she likes to feel that she can always get home, even on a flat), and the ride is really hard as a result.

I was hoping that RFT technology would improve, and in the latest BMWcar magazine (June 2006) they reviewed a 120d M Sport and "were pleasantly surprised" by the ride, including the RFTs which were Pirelli Euforia which "do seem to offer a more compliant ride than some other run-flats we've experienced". Anyone have any direct experience of these? Are they fitted to E90 or E60 as standard too?
Old 06-03-2006, 01:13 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by red-max' post='292053' date='Jun 3 2006, 08:26 PM
This is very interesting. My old RFTs felt slippery and skittery (if that's a word) in the wet. I just couldn't live with them, and I am extremely pleased with my Conti SC2s so far - but then I haven't had a puncture yet!

My wife still insists on RFTs on her MINI Cooper (she likes to feel that she can always get home, even on a flat), and the ride is really hard as a result.

I was hoping that RFT technology would improve, and in the latest BMWcar magazine (June 2006) they reviewed a 120d M Sport and "were pleasantly surprised" by the ride, including the RFTs which were Pirelli Euforia which "do seem to offer a more compliant ride than some other run-flats we've experienced". Anyone have any direct experience of these? Are they fitted to E90 or E60 as standard too?
They haven't made E60 sizes in the Euforia's yet... :thumbsdown:
Old 06-03-2006, 01:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by colejl' post='291957' date='Jun 3 2006, 08:37 AM
My PS2's definitely prefer a nice warm day but wet performance is 'ok'. I toyed with the idea of F1's but I never go mad in the wet so preferred the ultimate dry performance...
In Car and Driver's test (which was conducted blind, and the tires were fitted to the same car with same driver) the Michelin wasn't the top performer. It was close to the top in the dry (but still placed only 4th here) and only mid pack in the wet. I'm sure the PS2 is a great tire but the simple fact is that most of us don't get the chance to try multiple sets of tires on our cars when changing from run flats and TBH almost anything is going to feel awesome compared to the RFT's.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:38 PM
Contributors

MY RF NCT-5 GY are doing good..except a bit of a noise sometimes.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

i knew that runflats were junk from the first week i drove them.. was speeding in a very long curve and the curve has a few bumps..it took very long for the tyres to recover from the bumps and they were sliping..looks like they are just too hard...just though about lowering the preasures...ill try that doubt it wil make much diffrence...
i have b-stone RFTS, next time NON RFT....this set has caused me alot of puncture trouble.....
Old 06-04-2006, 01:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i White/Black, SMG, Sports Pkg, Comfort Access, Nav, HUD, Satellite Radio, Anthracite Maple Trim 2006 X5 3.0, Black/Black, Sports Pkg, Premium Pkg, Xenon Adaptive Headlight, NAV, Rear Climate Pkg, Anthracite Trim

I really don't have any complaints about my RFT. I thought I would hate them from all the stuff i've read on this forum but they're not that bad expect for some road noise. Handles well not too bumpy.. Maybe cause I have the bridgestone ones?
Old 06-04-2006, 02:28 AM
Contributors

Location: Proud citizen of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and MORGANTOWN, W.V.
My Ride: '05 530i, Premium, Steptronic, Logic7, Silver grey-black leather. Build date 12/7/04.

I realize this would be next to impossible to accomplish, but imagine if everyone would simply refuse delivery of any vehicle equipped with runflats. Perhaps then the folks in Bavaria would, at least, give thought to allowing a choice to RFT's or not. Great thought, at least. And certainly easier said than done.