Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

Interesting Tyre Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 08:21 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: GONE BUT NOT FOGOTTEN : 530d SE Auto : Titanium Grey / Anthracite Leather, Poplar Trim, 18in 123 Style Alloys, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Business Nav, Hi-Fi Speaker Package, Heated seats, Split-Fold Rear Seats LR DISCO 3 HSE with everything (including 3 kids)

For those of you contemplating changing tyres but sticking with run-flats, take a look at the following :

Dunlop SP Sport 01 DSST

Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Run Flat

A fairly conclusive result I think. Note that the Bridgestone review appears to have comments about both run-flat and non-run-flat variants but it is not too difficult to spot the E60 users.

I am wondering if this stacks up with other users findings.

And yes - I know - swapping to non-run-flats will give a smoother/quieter ride but I still like the safety/security aspect of RFTs
Old 10-04-2005, 08:29 AM
Contributors

Anyone know who makes the RF tires that comes with Style 122 rimm? I like to search on on those tires.

I am so scared that my upcoming car will suffer from the noise coming from RF tires
Old 10-04-2005, 10:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by amigo525' date='Oct 4 2005, 11:29 AM
Anyone know who makes the RF tires that comes with Style 122 rimm? I like to search on on those tires.

I am so scared that my upcoming car will suffer from? the noise coming from RF tires
[snapback]179206[/snapback]

I'm not so sure this is a bad thing... as long as BMW keeps replacing them, who cares? Free tires!
Old 10-04-2005, 10:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by marty530d' date='Oct 4 2005, 11:21 AM
A fairly conclusive result I think.
[snapback]179198[/snapback]
Would you summarize a tad for us--which is best overall, for example?
Old 10-04-2005, 10:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 530iSE, Black Saphire with beige leather, auto, lux pack, comms pack, viz pack, power mirrors, 122 wheels

Originally Posted by amigo525' date='Oct 4 2005, 05:29 PM

I am so scared that my upcoming car will suffer from? the noise coming from RF tires
[snapback]179206[/snapback]
Amigo....My 122 rims came with the Bridgestone RE050's 245/45's. They seem fine. This is a UK car, not sure if the tyre provided is market specific though.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

yeah, too lazy to read...

so what is the point here and conslusion of the articel?

RFS or NON-RFs ? I guess it depends on who paid for the articel
Old 10-04-2005, 01:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: GONE BUT NOT FOGOTTEN : 530d SE Auto : Titanium Grey / Anthracite Leather, Poplar Trim, 18in 123 Style Alloys, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Business Nav, Hi-Fi Speaker Package, Heated seats, Split-Fold Rear Seats LR DISCO 3 HSE with everything (including 3 kids)

For the hard of reading...The two links point to user reviews of the two different sets of RFTs that come as OEM on E60s. They are reviews by drivers rather than press..

To Summarize :

The Dunlops stink - but we know that.

The Bridgestones fair considerably better.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

I can confirm that. I have the Bridgestones.
only problem is that they are still way tooooooo hard and totaly ruin comfort of the car
Old 10-07-2005, 03:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

I have the Bridgestones Protenza RE050A RF on my 6er. Without benefit of actually changing to a non RF I cannot speak on any differences that might be noticed by such a change. However, I was expecting a "Sporty" ride with excellent driveability on all surfaces and types of hiways and byways (Interstate to twist & turn) and that is what I believe I got. So far low noise (no worse that PS on wife's Audi) and at 11,000 miles look like at least that much more in tread life. I understand the sedan crowd might want a little more comfort (probably more passengers, more often, than coupe owners) and would not shy away from making change to non RF if I thought the circumstances warranted the change. I can say, however, that my tires seem to do all that they were designed to do and can recommend them as excellent RF tires. I would still, however, prefer not to test their Run Flat capability

While I think of it, one 6er owner in Europe has reported six to seven flats requiring that many new tires - I believe he has stayed on Bridgestone thoughout his ordeal. Claims it is truely bad roads in his country (will not name his location).