Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

Everything you always wanted to know about iDrive but were afraid to a

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by bmw093' post='463704' date='Aug 29 2007, 09:37 AM
EDIT: When I press the buttons on the dash, a climate screed does pop up. But if I hit the button for the heated seats, for instance, nothing happens with the i drive screen. And I have the 3 traditional lights next to my seat heater buttons.
I don't know for sure if it's because I have ventilated seats or if it's simply a hint as to what BMW is doing for future button/iDrive integration. All I know is that it makes great sense to do pop-up screens where appropriate and I'm hopeful that over time BMW finds the right balance between the iDrive controller and hard buttons.

For the people that didn't read about this new feature when I first described it in my (lengthy) LCI review, on my car, my seat heater and ventilation switches only have one LED. As soon as either button is pressed, the corresponding iDrive screen pops up to show you if you're on high, medium, or low and allows you to spin the controller to adjust the seat heater distribution. The other pop-up screen that's new comes up when you press the center button of either climate temperature dial (driver or passenger). It's a quick way to get to the screen that allows you to adjust the center vent temperature, etc. After a few seconds, the pop-up screen goes away and you're returned to the screen you were on previously...
Old 08-29-2007, 06:12 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Enjoyed the article very much, Jonathan. Your quick tour of visual comparisons to some of the competitors I had not even taken the trouble to check out was especially welcomed. Often these are thrown up as better implementations of one aspect or another, but I still believe BMWs implementation is the least distracting to the driver with maximum usability.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 525i Titanium Silver Metalic and 2003 325xi Jet Black with the Premium Package in both cars.

Very nicely written JSpira......thanks for your time and effort. It has given me an education of the infamous idrive system, which BTW I happen to like. Thanks again.

Frankie L
Old 08-29-2007, 07:18 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i non sport monaco blue dk poplar gray leather multi contour seats NAV cold weather fold down seats comfort access Logic 7 sat ipod

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='463713' date='Aug 29 2007, 09:56 AM
I don't know for sure if it's because I have ventilated seats or if it's simply a hint as to what BMW is doing for future button/iDrive integration. All I know is that it makes great sense to do pop-up screens where appropriate and I'm hopeful that over time BMW finds the right balance between the iDrive controller and hard buttons.

For the people that didn't read about this new feature when I first described it in my (lengthy) LCI review, on my car, my seat heater and ventilation switches only have one LED. As soon as either button is pressed, the corresponding iDrive screen pops up to show you if you're on high, medium, or low and allows you to spin the controller to adjust the seat heater distribution. The other pop-up screen that's new comes up when you press the center button of either climate temperature dial (driver or passenger). It's a quick way to get to the screen that allows you to adjust the center vent temperature, etc. After a few seconds, the pop-up screen goes away and you're returned to the screen you were on previously...
I expect that most 5ers have the three LED heater button without Idrive functionality. Two hard buttons on either side of the ashtray, heater swith on the bottom and DTC on top left and PDC on the top right. Rudy has three buttons, reflecting the 'ventilation' in the front, from what I can see in his interior shot. The ventilation seats for the 5er is a serious upgrade and deserves a little extra Idrive software functionality, I guess

C
Old 08-29-2007, 02:26 PM
Members

My Ride: 520d

Thanks for this excellent job ! And +1 for the safety and easyness of iDrive !
The only pain is when system crashes.... Do you have any planned article overviewing the different hazards encountered ?
Old 01-31-2008, 09:39 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Can the iDrive that's used in the newer cars and the LCI be really considered as another Generation?
OK it has a few more screens and features but its not the jump that happened between the 1st and 2nd generation iDrive. Everything is basically still the same.