E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

interior features

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 11:00 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not yet ordered but have to say that the drive of the 530i is far beyond anything else that I have tried (Audi, Lexus, Mercedes). The G35 came close but it is so cheap on the inside I couldn't do it, even to save a bundle.

My question is, how happy are you owners with the luxury features/ergonomics of the interior. Here are my observations, and I wonder if they are issues for you:

The door handles/grips are too far forward -- is it hard to open and close doors?
Cupholders look like they will break quickly.
No cassette deck. I know, it is a dying technology, but I listen to books on tape.
CD player in the glove box. Most competitors have a 6 disk in dash.
Because of the Logic 7 CD player, lack of storage space.
I don't want to start an iDrive debate here; we all know about that issue.
Perhaps there are other things that only an owner would pick up on.

Again, I loved how it drove and that is priority #1, but how annoying is the other stuff?
Old 02-19-2004, 11:10 AM
Senior Members

The only annoying thing for me is the f****** cupholders. Useless and in the way when you use them!

Otherwise a tremendous car. Best ever for me, including my M5 E39!!!.
Old 02-19-2004, 12:57 PM
Senior Members

i used the cupholder last week and darned if it didn't work just fine: i push the button, it pops out, i put a coffee cup in it... have used it twice so far, both that trip: once for the above-detailed coffee cup and, on the way home that night, put a person-sized water bottle into it - on arrival at home, i removed the water bottle for disposal and popped the little sucker closed. Purpose built- now, my local shop doesn't sell bigGulps but, even if it did I don't think i'd expect the cupholders to hold them.

door handles, window switches, mirror controls are all, to my feel. ergonomic comfortable and natural - doors open smoothly and with far less force required than did those on my 320d

moonroof, open and cruising at 80mph was far far far more quiet than expected

sound from basic system is more than sufficient, to me, for a car: when i want quality music

i listen to books on CD; i listen to gartner TechReports on CD

the changer in the glovebox is ok - leaning over i can reach it and it is, to me, a better approach that 4or6 stuffed into the heat of the dash - in the back of the glovebox and out of the way is far better for discs in the long-term than stuffed in with heating vents

Actually, the iDrive is, other than the killer nav system, nothing special and, without ?10K worth of additional extras, doesn't really do a lot for me in my car: climate control consists of a single adjustment; comms is a wasted and empty main menu option with no bluetooth and no bmwAssist; the Nav I love and is quite simple to use; and the radio/cd controls, well, okay, minor overkill on the basic system given the lack of options--- but in all the dash looks clean and svelte without the 40+ MB-buttons... other bits are not such a big deal with a more basic model as well -- the memory keys manage volume, door locks and walk-home lights but that is all so, again, basic model = no big gain in terms of real use of the toys

iDrive was a snap to learn - in control within minutes with of course the odd button hit wrong but no problems to move it all around

and, since i wanted obviously to have a nice screen with a nav system and this is how it goes to get the ride, handling and comfort the iDrive is certainly something with which I am willing to live

i was troubled, however, that the iDrive had no cupholder-related technology controls or adjustments!

cheers
Old 02-19-2004, 12:59 PM
Senior Members

sorry - meant to say that when I want quality audio i flip on my NAD integrated at home - the car is too noisy for it to matter

in fact, that is my single criticism (other than TMC not yet working) - the car is far far noisier than i expected
Old 02-19-2004, 03:31 PM
Members

i'm happy w/ mine, no complaints. to answer your questions:

- door handles are just right, no extra effort to reach to open or close doors from the inside, i like the steering wheel lowers to the right position when you insert the key

- cupholders - i maybe used it once, usually no drinking in my car! therefore no need for cupholders.

- cassette deck - no need for it

- i don't have the premium sound and waived the $1800 option, i listened to the basic system and compared the logic 7, sure the logic 7 has more bass, but i figured to me it's not worth an extra $1800, besides if i'm to listen to some serious music, it definitely won't be inside the car!

- I-Drive - i'm happy with mine, no complaints, friendly user interface, I am not sure what exactly is the problem. I navigate through it just fine

-WISHES - oil temp/pressure gauges, but i'm sure if there's a problem, I-Drive will let me know, i.e. when i didn't shut the hood completely, it got detected and a message came on the I-Drive, same thing with the trunk. So I'm quite sure that there's some sensor for oil and temp, but it'd be foolish to try it since it means running out of oil and that won't be a good thing.

good luck, other than what i've read on other boards and numerous posts on the pros and cons of the new 5, i only have one simple question that needs satisfied : Am I Happy With It? to me that's all that matters, really it's a decision only one could make. of course these are my personal opinions. one last suggestion: spend more time at the dealership and pick on the car as best as you could!

gonzo
Old 02-20-2004, 07:57 AM
Members

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 530i base, blue with saddle leather
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Overall agree with Gonzo and Speedster.

Thinking about the complaints all of us have heard: a lot of this stuff seems to be annoying to test drivers or very new users (such as automobile journalists who have the car for a few days). I've noticed that virtually everyone who's driven the car for a month or so has no serious complaints about using I-drive, and most like 95% of the features. Everyone has a pet peeve, of course, as I do, about it.

My only serious preference would be being able to customize the menus to my satisfaction: radio on startup, for example; eliminating the lawyer screen; and adding virtual gauges if I want them.

That said, as I "wear in" to using many items that operate slightly differently than in the E39, I find that I like them more as time goes on.

I'm very happy with my E60.
Old 02-20-2004, 03:26 PM
Members

thanks for everyone's opinion, it sounds like you are all happy with the form and function of the interior. Skidster you mentioned that the car was far noisier than you expected -- are you bothered by road/tire noise, engine noise, wind noise at high speeds? Does it detract from the enjoyment of the car? (I loved the growl of the engine, but perhaps the insulation could be better.)
Old 02-20-2004, 06:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

Had my 530 6speed since October and only minor annoyances, air bag light on with no one in the passenger seat, cd reverting back to track one, auto lights stay on even in blarring sun light and all this after 2 reprograms, it will get better though i am sure. But the worst annoyance is comming home from work after driveing the e34 which i love the e60 is gone and so is the wife and kids. And thank baglenot for helping me spell correctly i do tend to not use the backspace
Old 02-21-2004, 12:00 AM
Senior Members

much of the problem with the noise is likely some of the motorway road surfaces here in the UK - hands-free conversations, windows up, roof closed, a/c off, etc, with both my parrot driveblue and my old car kit - i do not have the built-on BT, are very difficult. I hear them fine, but there is much noise on the other end, despite varied placements of the mic in all the recommended locations.

To make a call and be certain that we can have a proper conversation, I am pretty much restricted to using a wired headset.

I was expecting it to be more quiet than my 320d - but it isn't so much so. it's just not as luxury-quiet as expected