New Member Introductions Please introduce yourself. Everyone here was once new to the 5 Series Forums so don't be shy! Welcome!

Taking the plunge, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 11:51 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi Sport//Monaco Blue//Natural Brown//Anthracite headliner//Premium PKG//Cold WX PKG//Sprt PKG w Style 124 (S), Style 135 (W)//Navigation//HUD//PDC//Logic 7//HD Radio//Rear folding seats//Rear heated seats//Rear side airbags//Rear sunshade//HBA//Lane deviation//iPod adapter.

I'm moving to Germany and thought I needed a BMW. Just bought it and it will be delivered February 2008. Here is what it has. I can add or change up until December.

2008 535xi Sport//Monaco Blue//Natural Brown//Anthracite headliner//Premium PKG//Cold WX PKG//Sprt PKG w Style 124 (S), Style 135 (W)//Navigation//HUD//PDC//Logic 7//HD Radio//Rear folding seats//Rear heated seats//Rear side airbags//Rear sunshade//HBA//Lane deviation//iPod adapter.

Just wondering from the veterans about the color choice. I had a white car once and it showed dirt badly a few days after washing. My black car shows lots of swirls and scratches. I'll be honest, I used to not wax nearly as much as I should and that may have caused alot of the scratches.

Should I stay with the Monaco Blue or switch to Alpine White? My preference is Blue then White, my wife's is White then Blue. We want the Natural Brown Leather and these are the only two colors that have that option. Which do you think?

Finally, is Comfort Access really worth it? I'm so used to driving with a normal key and unlocking my car from fifty feet away I don't think it will matter. If you like it, tell me why. I look forward to your advice.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Welcome to the best e60 forum in the world and have fun too
Old 11-10-2007, 07:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

A/W, but for gods sake wash it this time !!!

Cheers and Welcome
Old 11-11-2007, 12:10 AM
Contributors

Welcome Colour is a personal choice ... and is also influenced by area. In the UK for example, people laugh at white cars, and anybody who buys one has to accept they will have a hard time selling it on.

Comfort access - I opted NOT to get it for the following reasons;
1) I have a fairly big bunch of keys - when I am driving, I don't want them sitting in my pocket digging in to my leg. I _want_ to get them out of my pocket, so why not put them in the ignition!
2) iDrive on a BMW doesnt start booting until you unlock the car. Without comfort access you can unlock the car whilst you are 10 seconds away from it, so by the time you get in, all the electronics are booted.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 Monaco Blue 530xi, Navigation, HUD, Premium Pack, Cold Weather, Comfort Seats, Comfort Access, Satellite, Logic7, Rear Side Airbags, PDC

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='492819' date='Nov 11 2007, 04:10 AM
Comfort access - I opted NOT to get it for the following reasons;
1) I have a fairly big bunch of keys - when I am driving, I don't want them sitting in my pocket digging in to my leg. I _want_ to get them out of my pocket, so why not put them in the ignition!
2) iDrive on a BMW doesnt start booting until you unlock the car. Without comfort access you can unlock the car whilst you are 10 seconds away from it, so by the time you get in, all the electronics are booted.
I'm new to BMW and continue to marvel at the engineering that has gone into all the options, and Comfort Access is one of my favorites. As a counterpoint to the above reasons, with CA you still can take your key out of your pocket and put it in the wide 'slot' where it sits with a satisfying 'click'; also the key has the regular remote buttons to unlock the car from 50' away, but then you lose that cool 'unlock the car by putting your hand on the handle' aspect.

One discovery only today (I've had my car for <1 week) was that CA works from any door handle and not only the front driver door - great for loading the offspring into the back seat.

Of course CA is not an inexpensive option, so that will be a consideration, but every time I hop in I really enjoy the aspect of not needing to fiddle with anything in my pocket either to open up the car nor to start it up and drive (and drive and drive) away.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:02 PM
Senior Members

As to color, it is a very personal thing. I wrestled between Alpine White, Deep Sea Blue and Monaco Blue. I chose AW in the end, and now that I have seen the car (delivery tomorrow... ), I'm a happy camper. The blues are nice too, and Carbon Black (but I have had several very dark cars in a row, and know their need for washing).

Any of the two choices will be fine, if you make it yourself, and don't let ppl on here talk you into a color.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:37 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

i say stick to your preference enjoy the forums.