Meet & Greet Discussion Plan for and discuss meet and greets with fellow forum members along with other BMW events. Share the results too!

European Meet -- Munich / BMW Welt -- now Sat. 13th June 2009

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 11:25 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

Hey guys ... Sathia and I are literally just back from a jaunt to the US and raring to go now.

Motel One is good with us.

Re. a convoy, we're planning to head to Munich on the morning of Friday the 12th at the moment, and our route will be on the Dutch A2 & A12 via Utrecht and Arnhem, then the German A3 passing Duesseldorf, Koeln, Frankfurt, Wurzburg and Nurnberg and then on to the A9 to Munich. I used to to Amsterdam-Nurnberg reasonably often in my prior job, and this came across as a good route. The "west route" to which xBMWx is referring has the benefit of not putting up with the heavily travelled A3 stretch between Frankfurt and Wurzburg (where it is also only 2 lanes per direction), but this is to be balanced against the seemingly perpetual roadworks on the Stuttgart - Munich stretch of the A6. Any of you know any more about roadworks? I know major widening works are planned for that Frankfurt-Wurzburg leg, and that may help make our decision for us.

Would love to do a convoy, although I'll be taking it a little easier given Sathia's "condition", which may also give rise to somewhat more frequent pit stops. So, no 250 km/h hair-on-fire run, but we'll still be going decently quick. We'll be happy to form up a convoy with anyone who's wouldn't mind our slightly more sedate pace.

For those of you who still do not know, the "condition" to which I refer is the pending arrival of MacSid junior . Sathia is now 5 months along, and going strong.

Also, for those who are interested, we will be looking to make a stop in Wurzburg on our way home on Sunday to buy wine from our favourite vineyard. Stocks are running low and this run conveniently takes us past the place. Check them out ---> Weingut Waldemar Braun
Old 05-26-2009, 01:20 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Pleased to hear you managed to get your US holiday worked out, hope you had a good one. And pleased to hear all is good with Sathia

As for the route on Friday, I am a little confused about what you wrote. I am talking about us all meeting on the A3 near W?rzburg. Some would be travelling down from the north on the A7 and others (like yourself) would be coming in from the west on the A3. From W?rzburg we would then collectively carry on down the A3 until N?rnberg and then on to the A9 down to Munich.

I really don't like the Stuttgart route to Munich, because as you noted it always seems to have roadworks and jams. You are right about the route from Frankfurt until W?rzburg on the A3 being hard work because its only 2 lanes, but afterwards it gets better.

NOTE: Thursday 11th June is a public holiday in Germany. That means the roads will be busy on Thursday and Sunday, but should be relatively empty on Friday and Saturday.

As for the high-speed runs, well Claudi has a built-in limiter at 220kmh, so flat-out runs will be limited for me too... or maybe we rent Sathia and Claudi their own 5er for the day
Old 05-26-2009, 01:47 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '06 Porsche Cayman S. Black on Black with Black tint. Sport (thicker) steering wheel, Heated Sport Seats, OEM Short Shifter, Clear Engine Cover. [b][u]SOLD! '08 550i 6SPD, Alpine White w/ OEM Carbon Fiber, Perforated Black leather, Anthracite Bamboo Trim[/u] full Sports Package with OEM Carbon Fiber Splitters and Diffuser, Cold Weather Package, Logic7, BMW Professional Nav, Heated/Ventilated 20 way Front Seats, Heated Rear Seats, Split Rear Seats, Comfort Access, iPod, PIAA Fog Lights, Xenon Match Interior Lighting, 12mm Rear Spacers, Gloss Black Model Designation, Carbon Fiber Door Pillar Covers, AngeliBrights (temporary set in place), ACS Style CF Diffuser, RDSport Quad conversion. RPI scoop (black) [u]2000 Z3 Coupe 2.8, Topaz Blue, Black Leather, Walnut Trim[/u] Koni Adjustable's w/ Racing Dynamics springs (1.75" drop), UUC LTW FW, E39 M5 Clutch, Wilwood Big Brakes, UUC Motorworks SSK, Rogue Engineering Big Boy Clutch Stop, Rogue Engineering Pulleys, EuroSport CF CAI, Sharked, Hawk HP+ Pads, Hamman Side Outlet Vents, ACS Type 3 18"s(replica) and 1000w pumping through a JL10W6[/b]

I wish I could make it guys, but I'll be outta town with work. Hope to catch up with some of you soon though!
Old 05-26-2009, 03:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='890239' date='May 26 2009, 12:20 PM
NOTE: Thursday 11th June is a public holiday in Germany. That means the roads will be busy on Thursday and Sunday, but should be relatively empty on Friday and Saturday.
Interesting. It is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpus_Christi_(feast)

I believe that this is the day that we will arrive in Germany. I will have to look into this!

Thanks for the warning.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='890239' date='May 26 2009, 12:20 PM
As for the route on Friday, I am a little confused about what you wrote. I am talking about us all meeting on the A3 near W?rzburg. Some would be travelling down from the north on the A7 and others (like yourself) would be coming in from the west on the A3. From W?rzburg we would then collectively carry on down the A3 until N?rnberg and then on to the A9 down to Munich.
We would be willing to meet you (Pete) on Friday anywhere between L?beck and Hamburg, and then head south to W?rzburg to meet up with anyone else!
Old 05-26-2009, 04:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by Patrick E61' post='890269
We would be willing to meet you (Pete) on Friday anywhere between L?beck and Hamburg, and then head south to W?rzburg to meet up with anyone else!
OK, sounds good. I still need to work out my travel plans; My wife wants to try and go via Frankfurt to see family, but not sure how that could work. We would have to already leave early on Thursday. We'll keep in touch and at the latest meet up around W?rzburg if we don't manage it further north
Old 05-26-2009, 08:10 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cpiskai' post='890251' date='May 26 2009, 11:47 AM
I wish I could make it guys, but I'll be outta town with work. Hope to catch up with some of you soon though!
Shame you can't make it, it would have been great to meet up. Thanks for your help first time round with the hotels, much appreciated. Like you said, hopefully see you next time round...
Old 05-26-2009, 08:32 AM
Contributors

OK, this is turning into the usual pre-meet post, where I post up tons of info and its hard to keep track of where we're at So...

STATUS UPDATE

ATTENDEE LIST:
(Lists country being travelled from, not nationality!)

1. xBMWx -- E61 -- Denmark
2. Andy545 -- E60 -- Netherlands
3. 320d Touring -- E61 -- Netherlands
4. Mikael -- E60 -- Switzerland
5. Maxwell -- E60 -- Germany
6. MacSid -- E60 -- Netherlands
7. Thyrus -- E90 -- Austria/Germany
8. smoppett -- E60 -- UK
9. Patrick E61 ? E61 -- Finland
10. 530dA -- E39 ? Netherlands

FRIDAY -- Travel
Caravans from Benelux/UK and Scandinavia being planned.
Combined caravan being planned from the A3 near W?rzburg on to Munich.

SATURDAY -- The Meet
10:00-11:00 - Meeting point at BMW Welt; meet up, check out cars, group picture outside BMW Welt
11:00-13:00 - Visit BMW Welt and lunch. (We can be flexible on when we leave.)
13:00-17:00 - Cruise in the region; autobahn/twistiest/etc, also to include stop-offs to re-group and re-fuel (the V8s ).
17:00-18:00 - Finish at a location, for example Starnberger See, where we can have a drink and then either depart for home or hotel in Munich city

SUNDAY ? Travel
Caravans to Benelux/UK and Scandinavia will organised ad-hoc.

HOTEL
Motel One, Munich City Ost
Each attendee will have to reserve on their own.

OPEN ITEMS
- Confirmation of hotel choice. I will wait another couple of days to see if there any objections to Motel One and then ask everyone to start making reservations.
- Route planning for the Saturday afternoon... inputs needed
- Table reservation for location in Munich for Friday evening? Ideas?
- Table reservation for lunch at BMW Welt.
- Table reservation for final stop-off during Saturday's cruise? Ideas?
- Table reservation for location in Munich for Saturday evening? Ideas?
- Put attendee summary document together with time plan / contact details / routes + meeting points / addresses. (I will do this closer to the time)

Some of the open items can only be done closer to the time, but will need inputs from the attendees. I get the impression most will go with the flow, but if there are any preferences or ideas for routes or locations, please post them up -- any help would be much appreciated! thanks, pete
Old 05-26-2009, 10:04 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018
Smile

Gents,

Disaster of disasters, my car needs its gearbox replaced yet again (full story here). I should find out by the end of the day today or early tomorrow who will need to pay for it and when the work will get done, but I'm told that the dealerships are real busy at the moment, and it's a 1.5-day job. I'm also off on a business trip for part of next week and the whole of the week after which means that, on meet weekend, I will have a virgin gearbox. High-speed runs will definitely be out of the question, and I'm seriously questioning the wisdom of a 1,600km round trip on a new box (not to mention the frustration and embarassment factors of an e60 running 600km of Autobahn at 120km/h).
Old 05-26-2009, 10:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

ATTENDEE LIST:
(Lists country being travelled from, not nationality!)

1. xBMWx -- E61 -- Denmark
2. Andy545 -- E60 -- Netherlands
3. 320d Touring -- E61 -- Netherlands
4. Mikael -- E60 -- Switzerland
5. Maxwell -- E60 -- Germany
6. MacSid -- E60 -- Netherlands
7. Thyrus -- E90 -- Austria/Germany
8. smoppett -- E60 -- UK
9. Patrick E61 ? E61 -- Finland
10. 530dA -- E39 ? Netherlands
11. DRANGED --E60 -- USA

Quick Reply: European Meet -- Munich / BMW Welt -- now Sat. 13th June 2009