Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Wanted: Forum member attorney! BMW class actions suit

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 02:06 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

Well to all the people with e60s that dont have creeks and rattles thats great but saying that this forum does not represent 5 series owners is not correct in my book, this forum and its members hail from all parts of the globe and age ranges so i think it is a good representation. As for a class action suit i am not into sueing our beloved car manufacturer either, and i think he like most of use with those radiculas noises are just tired of them we have settled for alot of this with this model of BMW and we just want someone (BMW)to correct the obvious problem. So if not a lawsuit then a letter writeing or phone calling campain but something to get our point across to the brass at BMW i think this is what 545smg wants as all of us do
Old 12-03-2005, 02:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Evenflow545' post='206745' date='Dec 3 2005, 05:37 PM
"perhaps a frivilous suit like this . . . . "

I rest my case, Your Honor.
It is unclear to me that such a suit would be frivolous. I think it would depend in part on how many consumers are affected. For example, below is a class-action suit that is somewhat similar to what has been proposed. While BMW does not make a claim about how long seals, for example, should go without squeeking, certainly the seals are supposed to last longer than they do, and BMW has had considerable time to take care of the issue. Beyond these comments, I do not intend to debate the merits of the proposed suit.

"Apple Faces Class Action Suits on IPod Battery:
Apple Computer Inc. faces five class action suits filed in December claiming it misrepresented the battery life of its iPod digital music player, the company said on Tuesday in a regulatory filing. The Cupertino, California maker of the Macintosh computer has been buoyed in recent quarters by robust sales of the iPod. But users have complained the iPod battery wears out too quickly."

The above excerpt is found here. This site looks like a pretty good place for one to start his/her class-action suit education.

Attorney Not.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:33 PM
Senior Members

OK, ok. I'll take the case.

But, I'm billing all forum members by the hour on the door seal case. Don't worry. it'll be a special e60 rate.

Drop me a line if y'all also want to file suit on the "anti-window trap function" case; the "transmission slam" case; the "ghost trunk opening" case; the "failed steering rack" case; or the "i can't use my damn mp3 player in this car" case.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Evenflow545' post='206766' date='Dec 3 2005, 03:33 PM
OK, ok. I'll take the case.

But, I'm billing all forum members by the hour on the door seal case. Don't worry. it'll be a special e60 rate.

Drop me a line if y'all also want to file suit on the "anti-window trap function" case; the "transmission slam" case; the "ghost trunk opening" case; the "failed steering rack" case; or the "i can't use my damn mp3 player in this car" case.
Actually if you're interested Evenflow I just poured a cup of McDonald's coffee all over my lap and was STUNNED to find it was HOT - what were they thinking serving up coffee that was actually HOT. Right after I found a finger in my chilli at Wendy's. Must be a case here for you.

I think we all agree lawyers are not the way to address this stuff, but I do understand 545smg's point - the cars should not squeak and rattle. And for those posters saying that theirs don't rattle or squeak, then good for you and long may your cars stay noise free - but I can assure you if your car squeaked like mine does from time to time you would probably be singing a different tune!!
Old 12-03-2005, 03:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Sorry guys,

This discussion needs to go under the topic Lounge.

Lomag? Are you there?
Old 12-03-2005, 04:17 PM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Originally Posted by vnod' post='206759' date='Dec 3 2005, 05:18 PM
Apple Computer Inc. faces five class action suits filed in December claiming it misrepresented the battery life of its iPod digital music player, the company said on Tuesday in a regulatory filing. The Cupertino, California maker of the Macintosh computer has been buoyed in recent quarters by robust sales of the iPod. But users have complained the iPod battery wears out too quickly."
Except that the iPod class actions are, to be blunt, bullshit and represent opportunism at its worst.

Another site I happened to have created:

http://ipodbatteryfaq.com

The battery life in the iPod was not "misrepresented", and it's no different than that of any other lithium ion battery on earth. Apple will replace it for you (and give you a new or "like new" iPod of the same model with warranty) for $59, or you can replace it yourself for under $30.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:09 PM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by 545smg' post='206677' date='Dec 3 2005, 02:07 PM
<big snip>
- I'm with you guys - lets do nothing!!
I can live with that. Full speed ahead.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i Silver Gray/Black, Sport, Prem., Logic 7, Cold Weather, Auto, M Aero package, Nav, Comfort Seats, IPod aux

Originally Posted by 545smg' post='206740
WHAT!? No No No! No one benefits from class action suits besides the lawyer. What will you get in return? $1.25?

That's about the dumbest response so far -

Who benefits from class actions suits - the people.

For one thing if it weren't for these types of suits - insurance co's would get away without paying for big ticket procedures for those with insurance.

We would still have asbestos in our schools,

The damn ford or gm truck the blew up all the time - would still be out on the market killing people.

Firestone would continuosly manufacturer defective tires that kill people -

perhaps a frivilous suit like this would be a future deterrent to producing flawed designs and remedy the situation, of a problem that will affect every e60er - and bmw is continously selling flawed e60's - even at a faster pace than ever ,
[/quote]

Asbestos in schools = kids could get cancer and die
Cars that blow up = people could die
Defective tires = people could die
Squeaky door seals = ???
Old 12-04-2005, 05:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

We know BMW has noticed to the extent of at least this Service Bulletin. Even though it appears not to have been completely successful in solving all cases I would expect this to say BMW is "working" the issue. Don't know how that plays in the class action arena.

Copy of the SIB here:
Attached Files
File Type: doc
SI_B_51_02_05.doc (68.5 KB, 69 views)
Old 12-05-2005, 12:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by das' post='206784
Except that the iPod class actions are, to be blunt, bullshit and represent opportunism at its worst.

Another site I happened to have created:

http://ipodbatteryfaq.com

The battery life in the iPod was not "misrepresented", and it's no different than that of any other lithium ion battery on earth. Apple will replace it for you (and give you a new or "like new" iPod of the same model with warranty) for $59, or you can replace it yourself for under $30.
[/quote]I wondered where this topic went. Yes, the iPod battery suit may be a dumb suit. I was just providing an example of a suit similar to the one being discussed. There are many other similar examples that may not be so problematic.

Quick Reply: Wanted: Forum member attorney! BMW class actions suit