Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Wanted: Forum member attorney! BMW class actions suit

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 11:57 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Not that I think a class action is the right way to deal with either this but 545smg's underlying point is valid and some of the posts here are a little OTT. I've also had the seals on mine switched out, and it creaks as badly as ever. I had mine in for some work this week and my dealer could not reproduce the noises - I drove off the lot and there were the creaks and rattles as ever. I fully accept that we are dealing with one of the most advanced cars on the road, and for that reason, plus the fact that I love this car more than any other I have owned, I have no problem accepting that our E60's are still in some ways a work in progress (from a software and systems standpoint). But a 65K car shouldn't have squeaks and rattles. That's inexcusable in a car of this class, cost and quality.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:03 PM
Members

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' post='206620' date='Dec 3 2005, 12:34 PM
Suing is not "the American way".
A sense of humor is very American too. I find this statement quite funny.

Stats found online:
<<<
There are currently between 80 and 90 million lawsuits filed in this country [USA] each year. That is over 150 suits per minute! Over 70% of the world’s lawyers are right here in the USA, and we are adding new ones at a rate of 50,000 per year!
>>>
Old 12-03-2005, 01:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by 545smg' post='206616' date='Dec 3 2005, 12:28 PM
There has been so many posts to the design flaw of the door seals for the e60. Why not have an attorney who is a member, who has the same rattles and creaks - just help all of us and begin a class action lawsuit against bmw?
I think your idea is reasonable. I don't know how feasible it is, etc. I think it would be nice if there is an attorney around that would provide some information on whether a class-action suit would make sense given the issue. Requests for attorney opinons always seem to yield no responses. I can't say that I would blame an attorney for not replying. For one thing, matters that an attorney is not frequently involved in can easily be over the his/her head. Legal matters are very specialized, and there are likely to be exceptions to what, superficially, might seem to be etched in stone.

And, for all interested, personally, I wish, as a group, we could just deal with issues in a straight-forward fashion and drop all the emotionally charged stuff. Repeating, cardinal rules of posting are be polite, don't flame, and treat all others with respect. Let's do what Thumper's mother stressed. "If you can't say somethin nice about someone, then don't say nothin at all."
Old 12-03-2005, 01:15 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i SMG, Dinan Flywheel, M Sport Kit Blk, Blk.

Originally Posted by jeffreybowman' post='206654
Hey 545SMG,
You might want to do a little research on tort law before advocating its use for "consumer" good. Unless you're associated with the likes of Ralph Nadir, the "consumer" never wins on these things; just the sleezy tort lawyers who knock off the big fees. And make no mistake about it, it's the BIG numbers (read: fees) that get the corporate attention.

Maybe that's your idea of the "American way" but it's not mine.

Ray Hull

PS: And while you're doing due diligence on BMW and tort law, check out why BMW refuses to sell their (Schuberth-made) motorcycle helmets in this country, despite their being, well, head and shoulders above the competition, and the EU Standard. Maybe then you'll see how international corporations--and particularly this one--view your idea of the "American way."
Hey 545SMG, I have an even better idea. Rather than using the court system to force BMW to change its product design, why don't you have one of your wacko California congressmorons introduce legislation making it ILLEGAL to have creaky doors. Then we can put BMWUSA executives IN JAIL for making creaky doors. Isn't that how you think about things out in San Fran?

Or better yet, if you are unhappy, maybe you should just find a different car to drive.
[/quote]

Living in San Francisco has nothing to do with lawsuits - First off if you're bashing San Franciscans' you can leave them out - I'm from NYC - just working/living here for now! So bash teh NYCer's if you want-

And if you actually read before you wrote - this has nothing to do about jail - most likely if their ever was a suit - it would never go to court -

This is more about consumer protection. And again, this is not about making money for all those whom are affected by the annoyances, this is about finding a solution faster.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:18 PM
Senior Members

Geez, guys. I was just trying to make you laugh. Realistically speaking, no one brings a class action lawsuit over squeaky door seals. If you want a "real life" remedy, either: 1. Quit buying BMWs. 2. Keep bringing it in until they fix it. 3. Keep bringing it in and tell the general manager that you're pissed, and ask him to help. 4. Tell the general manager to buy back your car and buy some different car. 5. Keep calling BMW North America and complaining until they fix the problem or buy back your car. 6. File a lawsuit yourself under your state's Lemon Law.

Yes, the 2004 e60 squeaks more than it should Just ask me. I own one. No, it doesn't justify a class action lawsuit. If that's "offensive" because it involves real-life logic, I apologize in advance.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:21 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i SMG, Dinan Flywheel, M Sport Kit Blk, Blk.

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='206693' date='Dec 3 2005, 12:38 PM
WHAT!? No No No! No one benefits from class action suits besides the lawyer. What will you get in return? $1.25?

That's about the dumbest response so far -

Who benefits from class actions suits - the people.

For one thing if it weren't for these types of suits - insurance co's would get away without paying for big ticket procedures for those with insurance.

We would still have asbestos in our schools,

The damn ford or gm truck the blew up all the time - would still be out on the market killing people.

Firestone would continuosly manufacturer defective tires that kill people -

perhaps a frivilous suit like this would be a future deterrent to producing flawed designs and remedy the situation, of a problem that will affect every e60er - and bmw is continously selling flawed e60's - even at a faster pace than ever ,
Old 12-03-2005, 01:37 PM
Senior Members

"perhaps a frivilous suit like this . . . . "

I rest my case, Your Honor.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:40 PM
Contributors

I've had my car for almost 2 years, 24k miles, and not a single door squeak. I think that this forum really isn't a good representative of the total 5 series owners. This group is _really_ into our cars, and we talk alot more about the ins and outs.

I've got 3 friends with 2004 and 2005 530's. None of them are on the forum, and none of them have door squeaks...

Good luck in getting this resolved. I'm not a fan of class action law suits. The only people that make anything are the attorneys. Vote with your pocket book: either sell the car or write enough letters that BMW fixes it for you...

James
Old 12-03-2005, 01:55 PM
Senior Members

I concur with your logic regarding class action lawsuits and attorney's fees, James.

And I'm an attorney.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by 545smg' post='206740
WHAT!? No No No! No one benefits from class action suits besides the lawyer. What will you get in return? $1.25?

That's about the dumbest response so far -

Who benefits from class actions suits - the people.

For one thing if it weren't for these types of suits - insurance co's would get away without paying for big ticket procedures for those with insurance.

We would still have asbestos in our schools,

The damn ford or gm truck the blew up all the time - would still be out on the market killing people.

Firestone would continuosly manufacturer defective tires that kill people -

perhaps a frivilous suit like this would be a future deterrent to producing flawed designs and remedy the situation, of a problem that will affect every e60er - and bmw is continously selling flawed e60's - even at a faster pace than ever ,
[/quote]

Well those cases actually HAVE a case! Squeeky doors dont. Dumbest eh.

Originally Posted by jksanford' post='206746
And I'm an attorney.

So you dont want to take the case and help us E60ers?

Quick Reply: Wanted: Forum member attorney! BMW class actions suit