Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Wanted: Forum member attorney! BMW class actions suit

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 08:28 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i SMG, Dinan Flywheel, M Sport Kit Blk, Blk.

There has been so many posts to the design flaw of the door seals for the e60. Why not have an attorney who is a member, who has the same rattles and creaks - just help all of us and begin a class action lawsuit against bmw?

I think that it would be pretty simple. We're a thousand members strong - All we would need is an attoney to begin the lawsuit -

WE would all probably need to write a grievance letter - begin the suit and then have a recall to replace with new door seals.

It happens in america all the time, with ford and gm - whether its tire, seat belts, airbags - its the american way.

Germany and bmw gets fat on our dime, why not just spend a bit of r & d, fix the door seals and then we could all just go to our dealer and replace as the parts are available-

With the new autoweek article and all of the creeks and rattles, all of the forum member complaints - this is effecting all us. I've had the door seals replaced - o creaks yet - but I know that it'll happen again soon.

This is not just a problem that will go away - it will effect each and every e60 owner - it will/and is affecting the future resale value of our car/investment.

I'm sure that most of us will not own this car in four or five years, if articles like autoweek continue - which I'm sure there will be host of new long term drive tests in teh next 6 months, keep appearing - watch kbb/ cand consumer reports bring the resale value down.

We can stop this now and let the power of the forum change the way german auto mfgs handle defects. Its no surprise that cars like mercedes and bmw are falling behind in overall customer satisfaction.

Having said all that - I gotta believe that there is an attorney on this forum that can help us - owns an e60 - and has the creaks and rattle syndome in there e60.

Start the thread!!
Old 12-03-2005, 08:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

The squeaky door problem has hardly affected everyone as you stated. And I, like most luxury car owners, lease my car, and therefore resale price fluxuations do not afffect me, they affect BMW Financial, since they are the ones that decided in advance what the car would be worth in 3 years.

Suing is not "the American way". Innovation, hard work, problem-solving, defense of freedom-- that's the American way. Count me out.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:36 AM
Members

I wouldn't mind if we could have a dialog with someone higher up in BMW than our own local service departments to see what is being done about this issue. Is BMW aware continuing issue? Was it fixed after the replacement door seals (new part #?) and if not, does BMW have a plan to resolve this?

I would like to think BMW has the power to fix this on their own. I'd like to see what they're really doing about it (maybe their work isn't visible to us yet) before we talk about filing a class action suit. I'd rather talk to BMW first, then consider legal action later.

You may want to start by compiling a list of owners affected by this and see if they have had the replacement seals installed yet or not. Then present BMW with that info and go from there.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:48 AM
Members

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' post='206620
The squeaky door problem has hardly affected everyone as you stated. And I, like most luxury car owners, lease my car, and therefore resale price fluxuations do not afffect me, they affect BMW Financial, since they are the ones that decided in advance what the car would be worth in 3 years.

Suing is not "the American way". Innovation, hard work, problem-solving, defense of freedom-- that's the American way. Count me out.
Remington
"And I, like most luxury car owners, lease my car, and therefore resale price fluxuations do not afffect me"

And another thing - why don't you just read this sentence that you wrote - think about it....hmmm

does it even make sense. Leasing is not ownership
Old 12-03-2005, 09:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Hey 545SMG,
You might want to do a little research on tort law before advocating its use for "consumer" good. Unless you're associated with the likes of Ralph Nadir, the "consumer" never wins on these things; just the sleezy tort lawyers who knock off the big fees. And make no mistake about it, it's the BIG numbers (read: fees) that get the corporate attention.

Maybe that's your idea of the "American way" but it's not mine.

Ray Hull

PS: And while you're doing due diligence on BMW and tort law, check out why BMW refuses to sell their (Schuberth-made) motorcycle helmets in this country, despite their being, well, head and shoulders above the competition, and the EU Standard. Maybe then you'll see how international corporations--and particularly this one--view your idea of the "American way."
Old 12-03-2005, 09:51 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='206643' date='Dec 3 2005, 01:31 PM
Hey 545SMG,
You might want to do a little research on tort law before advocating its use for "consumer" good. Unless you're associated with the likes of Ralph Nadir, the "consumer" never wins on these things; just the sleezy tort lawyers who knock off the big fees. And make no mistake about it, it's the BIG numbers (read: fees) that get the corporate attention.

Ray Hull

PS: And while you're doing due diligence on BMW and tort law, check out why BMW refuses to sell their (Schuberth-made) motorcycle helmets in this country, despite their being, well, head and shoulders above the competition, and the EU Standard. Maybe then you'll see how international corporations--and particularly this one--view your idea of the "American way."
Hey 545SMG, I have an even better idea. Rather than using the court system to force BMW to change its product design, why don't you have one of your wacko California congressmorons introduce legislation making it ILLEGAL to have creaky doors. Then we can put BMWUSA executives IN JAIL for making creaky doors. Isn't that how you think about things out in San Fran?

Or better yet, if you are unhappy, maybe you should just find a different car to drive.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by jeffreybowman' post='206654
Hey 545SMG,

Ray Hull

Hey 545SMG, I have an even better idea. Rather than using the court system to force BMW to change its product design, why don't you have one of your wacko California congressmorons introduce legislation making it ILLEGAL to have creaky doors. Then we can put BMWUSA executives IN JAIL for making creaky doors. Isn't that how you think about things out in San Fran?

Or better yet, if you are unhappy, maybe you should just find a different car to drive.
[/quote]

Isn't the democratic way to wote with ones money?
One is not obiligated to buy a BMW and the rattles are really not harmful to ones health.

Take your business elsewhere if you are not happy with your car.

I have sofar only gived hell to my retailer .
If I'm not happy, I'll buy an other car from an other brand.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:57 AM
Senior Members

OK, ok. I'll do it. Class action suits are excellent. All you "e60 squeaky door folks" send me your names and addresses. Once we win, I'll get $990,000.00 in attorney's fees, and everyone else will get $1.75 each. And, their door seals will still squeak.

I LOVE AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

Alternatively, how about just taking the car in for warranty service?
Old 12-03-2005, 11:07 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Evenflow545' post='206675
Hey 545SMG,

Ray Hull

Hey Ray Hull,
I'm not trying to be ralph nader, I'm in the middle - I'm not trying to get monies through litigation - just trying to get new door seals - I've replaced mine already this year - they're starting to creak again. So we'll just keep on chatting away, reading ugly reviews and do nothing!!!

Lets just keep reading posts by new owners on the same problem.

Lets just keeping reading threads which experienced members keep posting - like"hey read this thread" or its been done before threads.

A suit is not always a zero sum game - perhaps it could just get someone at bmw to say - ok, lets take care of this, lets have a brainstorming session to create the best seals that we can so that this problem goes away.

BMW may just say - we are addressing it, thanks for the tremendous response, we are sympathetic, and now that we are replacing with a newer part the settlement is taken care of - no litigation. And there it is -

I don't think it costs much to put in the paperwork - and if forum members put in the time, most of the work is done by the people - isn't that the strength of a community forum?

Or is it that we are just a chat site for complaints - the same ones over and over again.? But you know what - I'm with you guys - lets do nothing!!
Old 12-03-2005, 11:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

WHAT!? No No No! No one benefits from class action suits besides the lawyer. What will you get in return? $1.25?

Quick Reply: Wanted: Forum member attorney! BMW class actions suit