Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

USA Midwest South Holiday

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 10:54 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

After a busy summer, time for some holidays !! Since the Mrs. and I like driving
around - we decided to travel around the southern US. Departing 8 Sep.

Landing in Houston, and travelling clockwise to Dallas, Little Rock, Memphis, Nashville, Atlanta, Pensacola, New Orleans, Baton Rouge and back to Houston.

Since nothing can beat local knowledge, looking for some suggestions/comments
on this route. Maybe something I shouldn't miss or something like that...

Organising this trip without travel agent...I usually do everything ad hoc, but
wouldn't mind any local tips !!

Of course would be nice to meet up with any E60 buddies if you're
in the area...

TIA

Andy.

PS. Are BMW accessories cheaper in the US ???
Old 08-16-2004, 11:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I hope you bring an extra suitcase for the mrs. with all the outlet stores over there.. hehehe
Old 08-16-2004, 11:17 AM
Contributors

Yeah...and with 30kg bag allowance it will be bad !! :'(

Old 08-16-2004, 11:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

Well, I currently live in Atlanta, and grew up in Pensacola. Any reason you're going to Pensacola (except for the beach, of course).

Atlanta is just like any other big city, really. There's nothing terribly compelling about the city from a tourist perspective, as far as I'm concerned. The "World of Coke" museum is worth a couple of hours. Try to catch a baseball game at Turner Field (the pennant races will be heating up, so the games will actually "mean" something).

Do make every effort to go to the National Museum of Naval Aviation in Pensacola. It's located within NAS Pensacola. Pensacola is the home of US Naval aviation; every Naval Aviator and Naval Flight Officer does at least _some_ training in Pensacola. The museum is open pretty much every day of the year. It has a collection of US Naval aircraft that rivals the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C. There is a IMAX theater there, too. Admission is free.

Unless you enjoy 80 thousand drunk college football fans (and by football, I don't mean "futbol"), I would check the LSU Tigers football schedule and stay away from Baton Rouge on the Saturday of a home football game weekend. If you're in to that, then Baton Rouge would be a killer party during a home game weekend.

Check out the Audubon Park zoo in New Orleans, and make sure to ride the trolley out St. Charles Street to see all the pretty antebellum houses in the "quiet" part of town. I've heard that the Aquarium of the Americas in New Orleans is outstanding, but I haven't been there. Another "must-see" museum in New Orleans is the National D-Day museum, located in the plant where Andrew Higgins designed the "Higgins" boats; those flat-bottomed landing craft that took the invasion troops that last mile to the beach.

Hope this helps,
-MrB
Old 08-16-2004, 11:34 AM
Contributors

MrB, appreciate it!! Excellent tips and relevant for my background, we like museums, sports, aviation ( have a pilots and air traffic controller licence )
war movies.. fantastic

Any huge shopping mall location for the Mrs. ??

Thanks
Old 08-16-2004, 11:37 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mrbelk' date='Aug 16 2004, 01:24 PM
Well, I currently live in Atlanta, and grew up in Pensacola. Any reason you're going to Pensacola (except for the beach, of course).

Atlanta is just like any other big city, really. There's nothing terribly compelling about the city from a tourist perspective, as far as I'm concerned. The "World of Coke" museum is worth a couple of hours. Try to catch a baseball game at Turner Field (the pennant races will be heating up, so the games will actually "mean" something).

Do make every effort to go to the National Museum of Naval Aviation in Pensacola. It's located within NAS Pensacola. Pensacola is the home of US Naval aviation; every Naval Aviator and Naval Flight Officer does at least _some_ training in Pensacola. The museum is open pretty much every day of the year. It has a collection of US Naval aircraft that rivals the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C. There is a IMAX theater there, too. Admission is free.

Unless you enjoy 80 thousand drunk college football fans (and by football, I don't mean "futbol"), I would check the LSU Tigers football schedule and stay away from Baton Rouge on the Saturday of a home football game weekend. If you're in to that, then Baton Rouge would be a killer party during a home game weekend.

Check out the Audubon Park zoo in New Orleans, and make sure to ride the trolley out St. Charles Street to see all the pretty antebellum houses in the "quiet" part of town. I've heard that the Aquarium of the Americas in New Orleans is outstanding, but I haven't been there. Another "must-see" museum in New Orleans is the National D-Day museum, located in the plant where Andrew Higgins designed the "Higgins" boats; those flat-bottomed landing craft that took the invasion troops that last mile to the beach.

Hope this helps,
-MrB
Maybe if u're near Atlanta, you can stop by Savannah, GA...
I lived there for a couple of summers when I was younger..

the whole quaint southern beach vibe was great.. .. be sure to check out any of the local's recommended seafood restaurants and also Pralines.. that stuff is so good I still mail-order them to this day during Holiday season..lolz.....
Old 08-16-2004, 11:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Hey MrBelk, the New Orleans stuff is my territory! But clearly you've been here before as you gave a pretty good summary. The Auqarium is very well done, but if you don't have too long to stay in the city, I would push it down the list of things to see.

Andy, give me some idea of how long you'll be in New Orleans/Baton Rouge and I can help you out with things to see as well as hotel/restaurant ideas. Don't know when you'll be in Baton Rouge, but its a smaller city (state capital) with less focus on tourism. If you have any interest in american football, Sept 4th there is a college football game at LSU in Baton Rouge. The pre-game festivities on campus are a lot of fun. If you'll be around, let me know and I'll give you directions to where we hang and have a few beers before the game.

And watch out for the speed traps on Interstate 10 between New Orleans and Houston!
Old 08-16-2004, 12:19 PM
Contributors

Thanks for your input kscarrol!!
Whole trip will be for 3 weeks...not sure how to even out the time yet,
usually 2-3 days at each location , unless a somewhere particular is more
interesting...will adjust the time accordingly!

Thanks!!

PS. We will reach New Orleans, probably around 20 Sep....
Old 08-16-2004, 12:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Andreas, you need someone to drive you???????
Old 08-16-2004, 12:21 PM
Contributors

Maybe if u're near Atlanta, you can stop by Savannah, GA...
Thanks for the input Initialdl !!

Quick Reply: USA Midwest South Holiday