Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

USA Midwest South Holiday

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 12:23 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Andreas, you need someone to drive you???????? ?
Only if you pay the rent a car !!!!
Old 08-16-2004, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

JDN's in Dallas. I'm sure he'll offer some information for you...

(Oh, and I'm sure Iceman will offer some travel related info since that's his bag...)
Old 08-16-2004, 01:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

As for shopping for your wife, I'm sure Dallas has something comparable, but in Houston there is a huge shopping mall called The Galleria. My only advice is to bring plenty of credit cards. In New Orleans, most of the shopping will be for antiques and such, as I don't think any of our malls can hold a candle to Dallas, Houston, or Atlanta (see MrBelk). New Orleans for tourists is mostly about food, music and the occasional cocktail. Toss in some history and stir. If you want to e-mail me, I can help you with more detailed info.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:07 PM
Contributors

I was in Dallas for awhile, and they have a Galleria there also. One of the cool things I did was eat at a restaurant downtown, near the basketball arena. It is in a revolving dome on top of the tower. Pretty cool to get a view of the area. Can't remember the name at the moment.

kscarrol, would love to get down there and try some of the cajun food (my favorite) and some blues. Maybe when I am driving back from the performance center in Nov.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:41 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by andy545' date='Aug 16 2004, 02:21 PM
Maybe if u're near Atlanta, you can stop by Savannah, GA...
Thanks for the input Initialdl !!
no problemo andy.. i just noticed another thing... you gotta get BBQ in Memphis......... i duno where..but my buddy did a consulting gig down there for a bit..and he said pretty much wherever the clients took him.. it was great!... any locals wanna point him to some places.....
Old 08-17-2004, 04:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Good call on the Memphis BBQ. I've been to a place called The Rendevous, outstanding dry rub BBQ. Here's the website, very highly recommended!

http://www.hogsfly.com/
Old 08-17-2004, 04:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

Originally Posted by andy545' date='Aug 16 2004, 01:34 PM
MrB, appreciate it!! Excellent tips and relevant for my background, we like museums, sports, aviation ( have a pilots and air traffic controller licence )
war movies.. fantastic

Any huge shopping mall location for the Mrs. ??

Thanks
Andy,

There have got to be more malls in Atlanta per capita than any city in the USA.

The ones to check out, though, are Lenox Square and Phipps Plaza. They are directly caddy-corner to each other at the corner of Lenox and Peachtree in Buckhead. Phipps is definitely the more "upscale" of the two; with a Tiffany's, Saks, Armani, etc. Lenox is just like every other mall.

As far as eating goes, if you like Greek food, there's Athens Pizza House in Decatur. They have the best Pizza in Atlanta, in my opinion. It's not the "nicest" place, but the portions are large and the food is excellent. For burgers, go to the Vortex in Midtown, on Peachtree Street. If you like Thai food, go to either Tamarind, in Midtown on 14th St., or Surin, in the Virginia/Highland area on Higland Ave. For a nice, dress-up, type dinner, go to Bone's steakhouse in Buckhead on Piedmont Rd., or Bacchanalia on Howell Mill in Midtown. Bacchanalia is a "Prix-Fixe" type of place, with a 5 course meal. Not cheap, but the food and service is excellent. I don't know what you're typically used to paying at restaurants in Europe, but be prepared for the exorbitant costs of restaurant dining over here, especially the wines.

Savannah is about 4 - 4.5 hours from Atlanta, but is an adorable "Old South" type of town. Sherman never got there after he torched Atlanta, so it's stayed pretty much in tact over the years. Charleston is another quaint "Old South" town, too, but it's also about 4 - 4.5 hours from here.

If you're into aviation, and military aviation in particular, you will _LOVE_ the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola. Places to eat there include Jubilee and Flounders on Pensacola Beach, McGuire's Irish Pub in town just across the 3-mile bridge, Jamie's in the Seville Square area, or Jackson's downtown. For some good seafood, you can check out the "Fish House" in the marina just south of Seville Square (Their "grits a ya ya" are outstanding; southern grits with gouda cheese melted in), or if you're a little daring and want to eat a little out of the way, you could try "Chet's" on Navy Blvd or "Sam's Seafood Shanty" on Main Street across from Joe Patti's seafood.

-Matthew
Old 08-17-2004, 04:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

You guys have outdone yourselves - can't keep up with the info !!!!

Thanks for the input until now from everyone... keep it coming if
you come up with anything else...

Thanks

Andy

PS. The Mrs. thanks for the mall input .. !!
Old 08-17-2004, 07:13 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by andy545' date='Aug 17 2004, 06:44 AM
You guys have outdone yourselves - can't keep up with the info !!!!

Thanks for the input until now from everyone... keep it coming if
you come up with anything else...

Thanks

Andy

PS. The Mrs. thanks for the mall input .. !!
Oh yeah.. another thing.. i dunno if you're into authentic Cantonese Dim Sum, but there is a place i forgot the name, but if you ask anybody where's the most famous restaurant to get Dim Sum in Atlanta, hit this place up.. in Chinese it's "foo lee mun"...

in fact, you can find representative cruisine of sooo many countries all over Atlanta cuz of all the consulates there......

I believe when i took the Downtown tour of Savannah they mentioned something about some high-ranking Yankees actually were holed up in Savannah, which is why it was left unscathed as they were torching their way through the south............................................

daymn.. i miss the southeast.. lolz......
Old 08-18-2004, 05:51 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by andy545' date='Aug 16 2004, 01:54 PM
After a busy summer, time for some holidays !! Since the Mrs. and I like driving
around - we decided to travel around the southern US. Departing 8 Sep.

Landing in Houston, and travelling clockwise to Dallas, Little Rock, Memphis, Nashville, Atlanta, Pensacola, New Orleans, Baton Rouge and back to Houston.

Since nothing can beat local knowledge, looking for some suggestions/comments
on this route. Maybe something I shouldn't miss or something like that...
Andy, I will be adding some points for you to consider in the Dallas area while you are here. If you tour the downtown area, you will surely want to make the West End which is a pretty nice collection of bars and restaurants for a variety of tastes. A new attraction was added recently and is featured in today's paper. You may have to register to view:

Dallas World Aquarium

Nearby and across from Dealy Plaza is the museum featuring exhibits of the JFKennedy assassination if that should interest you. The Farmers Market is one of my favorites also in the downtown area along with the American Center (home of the pro basketball team and pro ice hockey) plus some other stuff.

I will give you more leads tomorrow or Friday.

Our biggest Bimmer dealer is John Roberts BMW which is well north of the downtown area. I should be able to get you a 20% parts discount if you think it worth the trouble.

Quick Reply: USA Midwest South Holiday