Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

US Default Inevitable

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 07:23 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by m630
Agree on the corp welfare too, no Oil subsidies, no ethanol subsidies, and any other such situations where record profits are being cashed into bonuses for those CEOs. I just point out GE as well since they are so smug, and the fact that Imelt is the presidents point person on job growth in the US is laughable if not so tragic.

Agreed, but the Republicans cannot just point the finger either. By the time the 2012 election rolls around they will have had control of the house for 2 years as well, and have effectively done absolutely nothing to help the economy. Instead they have focused on Planned Parenthood, the EPA, HEAP, and Headstart cuts. Not exactly their best showing, despite promises to the contrary during mid-term elections.
Basically, we are agreed that BOTH parties have done a piss poor job of running the country the last 10 years. Through excessive spending, excessive tax cuts, and excessive partisanship. Both parties are too corrupt and let the extremists speak for the entire party while at the same time taking huge checks from lobbyists to essentially keep the status quo (which clearly has not been working).
Old 07-14-2011, 07:41 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Valid points, and well said by all...

To put a different twist on this discussion (and not to threadjack), what about the idea of doing away with the IRS, and go to a flat sales tax approach? Understanding that this is a "pipe dream", I'm interested in all of your viewpoints in this regard.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:45 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by theonlychoman
Valid points, and well said by all...

To put a different twist on this discussion (and not to threadjack), what about the idea of doing away with the IRS, and go to a flat sales tax approach? Understanding that this is a "pipe dream", I'm interested in all of your viewpoints in this regard.

I think it'd be a great idea, that way everyone pays their fair share and everyone is equal. Plus how many billions would be saved by the government without having to pay for the IRS? Of course it'll never happen, accountants and accounting firms have too strong a lobby.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:47 AM
Contributors

Agreed. I thought that GOP was actually going to try to do something when they got the house, but as Newt rightly pointed out, (though detroyed his campaign) we cant have them voting ideoloy as they did in their rediculous budget, same as we cant allow the Dems to do it. They are two sides of the same coin, all mired in dirt.

Perhaps we need a new Continental Congress formed and we need to redefine our government and structure. Our forefathers were visionary, but I dont believe they ever could have forseen or intended some of the consequences of ye old parchment paper defining, rather, Dictating, how the political system works. Term limits for ALL elected representatives is the first step, as well as banning any lobbying by anyone, there needs to be public approval of any increases in any salaries by our represented officials, not that they vote themselves raises, and give themselves benefits and pensions for life, and the requirement that our representatives cannot take one dime from anyone they ever deal with, with a redefinition of what "public service" means, as it should NOT be defined as how a person becomes enriched off the backs of the american public, which is its current definition.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:55 AM
Contributors

Agreed. I thought that GOP was actually going to try to do something when they got the house, but as Newt rightly pointed out, (though detroyed his campaign) we cant have them voting ideoloy as they did in their rediculous budget, same as we cant allow the Dems to do it. They are two sides of the same coin, all mired in dirt.

Perhaps we need a new Continental Congress formed and we need to redefine our government and structure. Our forefathers were visionary, but I dont believe they ever could have forseen or intended some of the consequences of ye old parchment paper defining, rather, Dictating, how the political system works. Term limits for ALL elected representatives is the first step, as well as banning any lobbying by anyone, there needs to be public approval of any increases in any salaries by our represented officials, not that they vote themselves raises, and give themselves benefits and pensions for life, and the requirement that our representatives cannot take one dime from anyone they ever deal with, with a redefinition of what "public service" means, as it should NOT be defined as how a person becomes enriched off the backs of the american public, which is its current definition.
AMEN!!!!! PREACH, PREACH!!!!

Amazingly simple ideas to put into practice, and amazingly effective. I have said for years that we need, as a country, another Teddy Roosevelt. Meaning a president who truly felt he was a servant of the American people, not that his presidency was ordained.

Very well said Brother.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:17 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pjinca
AMEN!!!!! PREACH, PREACH!!!!

Amazingly simple ideas to put into practice, and amazingly effective. I have said for years that we need, as a country, another Teddy Roosevelt. Meaning a president who truly felt he was a servant of the American people, not that his presidency was ordained.

Very well said Brother.
We are all on the same side, I just believe that our political system as currently designs WANTs to keep us appearing to fight with each other as it enpowers and enriches themselves. We Americans not in the political arean all have the same goals, live as peaceful as possible, enjoy life as best as we can, and hopefully leave this earth a little better off than when we arrived.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:47 AM
Contributors

We are all on the same side, I just believe that our political system as currently designs WANTs to keep us appearing to fight with each other as it enpowers and enriches themselves. We Americans not in the political arean all have the same goals, live as peaceful as possible, enjoy life as best as we can, and hopefully leave this earth a little better off than when we arrived.
Completely agree, the problem is that the media focuses on the fringes, the extremists from both sides. When in reality the vast majority of Americans are somewhere in the middle, most people just want to live their lives and provide for their families as best they can an have the ray of hope that if they work hard they can live comfortably.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:57 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pjinca
Completely agree, the problem is that the media focuses on the fringes, the extremists from both sides. When in reality the vast majority of Americans are somewhere in the middle, most people just want to live their lives and provide for their families as best they can an have the ray of hope that if they work hard they can live comfortably.

Hope Springs eternal.

Last nite we had a brief sunshower, and were blessed with this landscape. I've never seen such a large, bright rainbow as this in my life, it was awe inspiring and went all the way to the ground! I was looking for the answers, and the pot of gold, but no luck, maybe next time!
Attached Thumbnails US Default Inevitable-rainbow-0713012002a.jpg  
Old 07-14-2011, 11:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Seems that we got a discussion over here.

Today both Moody's and Standard&Poor's warn the US that if the loan deficit limit is not increased
the ratings will go down from AAA. That would cost a lot, a huge lot of $'s!
If the Republican party don't go with Obamas motion, your nation will soon be owned by the Chinese!

Just rise your taxes for the really rich. Who really needs over an 10 million yearly salary?

And don't buy nor sell any houses now. The prices will come down for a couple of years.

But I guess most of you US guys don't see this as a good idea, but in the long run it's the only solution.

I know I've taken huge shortcuts in this writing - to get you going on.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:51 AM
Senior Members

Wow, talk about not bothering to read previous posts, LOL.

Quick Reply: US Default Inevitable