Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Upper Age Limit for Drivers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 06:31 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545iA Titanium Silver/Gray, Poplar----Cold Weather Pkg, Comfort Seats, Logic 7 Audio, Heated Rear Seats

If you're serious, and I doubt you are, you should review the demographics on accidents and age groups.

You will find that bad drivers come in all age groups. We will all come to point in life where we should hang up the keys, but an arbitrary age boundary is hardly the solution.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:14 AM
Members

Smile

You caint discriminate old age drivers, u cant just put them in all one group, everyone is different my grandmother is 60+and drives a little better than i do, why do u think the insurance cost a lot for young people rather than old people?
They are more reliable drivers.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

I heard Chuck Yeager speak two years ago. At the time, he claimed the Air Force still let him take up F15s. I believe he is 80 years old.

This quote is from his website:

"Perhaps, most remarkable of all, for more than two decades, he has retained the stamina, skill and mental acuity to fly and evaluate the most modern high-performance aircraft. He did much of his flying at Edwards where he remains an active consulting test pilot, serving?in the words of one AFFTC commander?as a ?wise, accurate and keenly observant advisor? to the Air Force Flight Test Center."

Paul Newman won the Rolex 24-Hours of Daytona in 1995 in the IMSA GTS-class. He was 70 years old at the time.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi Auto, premium pkg, PDC, HUD, Cod weather pkg, NAV, Satellite, heated rear seats, fold down seats 2006 330i Auto, Sport pkg, Prremium pkg, Cold wether Pkg, NAV, Satellite

Maybe it wasn't the age, but the sex?

I am a 62 year old agressive driver and get POed at geezers on the road. Probably you idea is correct, but age is too low. Drivers generally start losing it in their 70s.
Originally Posted by ipse dixit' date='Aug 29 2005, 01:25 AM
How many people here think there should be an upper age limit for driving??

As in, say, older than 55 you need to have a younger adult in the car??

Or if older than 60 cannot drive at night?

And if older than 65 cannot drive, period?

Reason I ask is because today I was driving behind a "mature" driver and she was driving no faster than 25 mph in a 45 mph zone, taking about 5 seconds to make a lane change, and refused to yield to about 4 cars tailing her? ? ... And when she decided to make a left turn she almost ran over a pedestrian ...?

Oh, and I almost forgot the worst part ... she was driving a 545i.?
[snapback]164591[/snapback]
Old 08-29-2005, 08:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi Auto, premium pkg, PDC, HUD, Cod weather pkg, NAV, Satellite, heated rear seats, fold down seats 2006 330i Auto, Sport pkg, Prremium pkg, Cold wether Pkg, NAV, Satellite
Rudy is dead on!

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Aug 29 2005, 03:38 AM
It shouldn't be about age, it should be about ability.? I know a 90 year old that can drive better than many 40 year olds.?

Mandatory re-testing at some set interval (every 5 years or so) would help tremendously.? Also, at least in the US, the test should be much more stringent to become licensed...
[snapback]164621[/snapback]
Old 08-29-2005, 08:33 AM
Members

Smile

I don't think one has to pick either one.

Originally Posted by pipper' date='Aug 29 2005, 08:40 AM
whats worse, the older drivers who obey the laws, or the young punks who drive like idiots??
i'll take the older drivers any day of the week.
[snapback]164679[/snapback]
Old 08-29-2005, 08:37 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' date='Aug 29 2005, 12:25 AM
How many people here think there should be an upper age limit for driving??

Reason I ask is because today I was driving behind a "mature" driver and she was driving no faster than 25 mph in a 45 mph zone, taking about 5 seconds to make a lane change, and refused to yield to about 4 cars tailing her? ? ... And when she decided to make a left turn she almost ran over a pedestrian ...??

Oh, and I almost forgot the worst part ... she was driving a 545i.??
I'm 60 and drive a 545i just fine thank you.
I have seen quite a few younger drivers drive quite recklessly from running red lights to
speeding excessively.

By the way which age group has the highest insurance rates and greatest accidents?
Not the 55-65 year olds! We are among the safest drivers. My insurance rates are low!
Old 08-29-2005, 08:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by hpowders' date='Aug 29 2005, 11:37 AM
[quote name='ipse dixit' date='Aug 29 2005, 12:25 AM']How many people here think there should be an upper age limit for driving??

Reason I ask is because today I was driving behind a "mature" driver and she was driving no faster than 25 mph in a 45 mph zone, taking about 5 seconds to make a lane change, and refused to yield to about 4 cars tailing her? ? ... And when she decided to make a left turn she almost ran over a pedestrian ...??

Oh, and I almost forgot the worst part ... she was driving a 545i.??
I'm 60 and drive a 545i just fine thank you.
I have seen quite a few younger drivers drive quite recklessly from running red lights to

speeding excessively.
By the way which age group has the highest insurance rates and greatest accidents?
Not the 55-65 year olds! We are among the safest drivers. My insurance rates are low scumbag!
[snapback]164735[/snapback]
[/quote]
Your RIGHT in what you say. we all have our opinions but scumbag.Lighten up.
cheers
vern
Old 08-29-2005, 10:02 AM
Senior Members

guys...seriously...if were going to discriminate against certain groups of drivers shouldnt it be women?

i mean seriously...for every 1 crap male driver you get 10 awful female ones.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:17 AM
Senior Members

In Norway you will need a confirmation from your doctor stating that your vision/eyes are all ok as long as you're over 70 and want to keep you driver's license.

Quick Reply: Upper Age Limit for Drivers?