Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Upper Age Limit for Drivers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 09:25 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many people here think there should be an upper age limit for driving?

As in, say, older than 55 you need to have a younger adult in the car?

Or if older than 60 cannot drive at night?

And if older than 65 cannot drive, period?

Reason I ask is because today I was driving behind a "mature" driver and she was driving no faster than 25 mph in a 45 mph zone, taking about 5 seconds to make a lane change, and refused to yield to about 4 cars tailing her ... And when she decided to make a left turn she almost ran over a pedestrian ...

Oh, and I almost forgot the worst part ... she was driving a 545i.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

It shouldn't be about age, it should be about ability. I know a 90 year old that can drive better than many 40 year olds.

Mandatory re-testing at some set interval (every 5 years or so) would help tremendously. Also, at least in the US, the test should be much more stringent to become licensed...
Old 08-29-2005, 03:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 525i Sport. Mystic Blue. Logic 7, 6 CD Changer, Floormats. Just call me the last of the big spenders!!

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' date='Aug 29 2005, 06:25 AM
As in, say, older than 55 you need to have a younger adult in the car??
[snapback]164591[/snapback]
You are asking for trouble mate! You must be very young.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:25 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Aug 29 2005, 02:38 AM
It shouldn't be about age, it should be about ability.? I know a 90 year old that can drive better than many 40 year olds.?

Mandatory re-testing at some set interval (every 5 years or so) would help tremendously.? Also, at least in the US, the test should be much more stringent to become licensed...
[snapback]164621[/snapback]
I agree!
Old 08-29-2005, 03:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I think that it should be required for anyone over the age of 65 to be tested once every 5 years.

I almost plowed into an old man who pulled out in front of me yesterday. Lucky for me, BMW brakes are so good. I went from 55 to a dead stop in no time... and without making any screeching noise. I was impressed. Had I been in my old Lexus SUV, I would have plowed right into him.

Absolutely, 100% his fault, too. The guy was old, and had on those super-dark glasses like he had just had laser surgery. It was broad daylight, and he either did not look.... or could not see me with those dark glasses.

There is no excuse for people like that to be on the roads. They should be treated the same as drunk drivers.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Aug 29 2005, 06:56 AM
I think that it should be required for anyone over the age of 65 to be tested once every 5 years.

I almost plowed into an old man who pulled out in front of me yesterday.? Lucky for me, BMW brakes are so good.? I went from 55 to a dead stop in no time...? and without making any screeching noise.? I was impressed.? Had I been in my old Lexus SUV, I would have plowed right into him.

Absolutely, 100% his fault, too.? The guy was old, and had on those super-dark glasses like he had just had laser surgery.? It was broad daylight, and he either did not look.... or could not see me with those dark glasses.

There is no excuse for people like that to be on the roads.? They should be treated the same as drunk drivers.
[snapback]164670[/snapback]
To a centain point I totally agree with you but on the other hand that doesn't give the right to the younger drivers to use the roadways as a RACE COURSE.
cheers
vern
Old 08-29-2005, 04:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525

whats worse, the older drivers who obey the laws, or the young punks who drive like idiots?
i'll take the older drivers any day of the week.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 545i

Don't forget, we all will get old someday. Think twice before getting too anxious taking people's priveliges away, because ultimately, you're taking it away from yourself as well.

That being said, I think there are some people in every age group that don't deserve to drive.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:47 AM
SDS
Members

My Ride: 2006 530 xi, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Leather,poplar grain wood trimi, prem. pkg., prem. sound pkg., cold weather pkg., steptronic auto. trans., front comfort seats, split folding rear seats w/ski bag,rear heated seating, power rear sunshade and manual rear side window shades, park distance control, BMW on-board navigation system and satellite radio.

This is the most ridiculous mode of thinking that I've encountered here. Surely you jest.
I suggest you print out your post and read it again in about 30 YEARS when you turn 50 and see how you feel about it then
Old 08-29-2005, 05:50 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' date='Aug 29 2005, 12:25 AM
How many people here think there should be an upper age limit for driving??

As in, say, older than 55 you need to have a younger adult in the car??

Or if older than 60 cannot drive at night?

And if older than 65 cannot drive, period?

Reason I ask is because today I was driving behind a "mature" driver and she was driving no faster than 25 mph in a 45 mph zone, taking about 5 seconds to make a lane change, and refused to yield to about 4 cars tailing her? ? ... And when she decided to make a left turn she almost ran over a pedestrian ...?

Oh, and I almost forgot the worst part ... she was driving a 545i.?
[snapback]164591[/snapback]
You tempt me to use CAPS!

Albeit some very good suggestions followed your post.

Quick Reply: Upper Age Limit for Drivers?