Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Top Gear is a wonderful TV programme !!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 04:07 PM
SKK
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats right - a new season is currently being broadcast in the UK. Next week they should be testing the Bugatti Veyron amongst others.

Here in the UK some of the cable channels show old series repeats. For example last night they had an old one where Clarkson was driving practically non stop from London to Oslo in a Mclaren Mercedes SLR whilst the other two nutcases were trying to get there quicker than him using public transport (well if you classify planes, ferries and power boats as public transport). Quite a beast the SLR - and an entertaining programme as well ! Apparently at full pelt (over 200mph) the SLR's 21 gallon tank empties in 19 minutes !!. Another useless fact but still quite astonishing.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 520i, mystic blue, steptronic, beige leather, pdc, bluetooth, rain sensor, BMW sport kit fitted, 18" 166 rep BMW rims , de-badged, cherished reg. chrome grill,

Originally Posted by SKK' post='206912' date='Dec 4 2005, 11:50 AM
I just watched back to back episodes of this programme. It really is a class act and worth watching on a weekly basis.

Sure you have to put up with Clarkson's anti BMW vomit but he is actually getting more nuetral to them - he in fact likes the M6 and M5 !

In the two episodes I just watched they had amongst several other cars -

- a shootout in the Isle of Mann between a Porsche 911, Aston Martin and BMW M6. After driving them around for a while they fly out the The Stig (ex prof racing driver), close off one of the roads used in the Isle of Man TT race and let him rip. The M6 was no faster than the AM over the same stretch of winding road even though it had over 120 bhp more on tap. The Porsche has 140bhp less but was a full 6 seconds quicker than the M6 (129 sec vs 135). It looked blo*dy cold out there but they all seemed to have so much fun - the place was just deserted. The amazing thing was that Clarkson preferred the M6 but the other two went with the Porsche.

- Maserati Quattroporte. James May drove ths around some beautiful locations in Italy.

- Mercedes CLS

- Ascari supercar

- Ford GT40 (which I think Clarkson has bought personally and the other two were taking the piss out of him - it gave 4mpg around the test track)

They seem to test every good car out there week in week out and above all make the programme interesting by just having lots of fun. Then there is their dedicated test track and The Stig and every car they have on the programme goes through a lap and its time posted on their board (I think the Pagani Zonda, Ferrari Enzo were the top two fastest cars out there).

They also do some really good somparison stuff - like once they had two E60's - one a 535d and the other a 545i. I think the Stig was at the wheel of the 545i but he simply could not get past Clarkson in the 535d. They only did it to prove the point around the diesels torque.

I think we are lucky to have it.

If you watch it, do you have any favourite episodes or any that really stood out ?
Yea great if your buying budget is from ?60.000 to ?120.000 personally I think it does not relate to the majority of motorists 5th gear is better by far
Old 12-06-2005, 11:28 PM
SKK
Senior Members

Originally Posted by norham' post='208206' date='Dec 7 2005, 06:07 AM
Yea great if your buying budget is from ?60.000 to ?120.000 personally I think it does not relate to the majority of motorists 5th gear is better by far
Not true at all - they have loads of "normal" cars on the show (including most BMW's I hasten to add including from recollection the X3, 3 Series and loads of 5 series . Most of the cars they review are within normal budgets. Sure they have the exotic stuff on the show as well and in my opinion the show is better for it - I mean would you rather see a Aston Martin DB9 go round a track or a Toyota Camry ???
Old 12-07-2005, 09:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 520i, mystic blue, steptronic, beige leather, pdc, bluetooth, rain sensor, BMW sport kit fitted, 18" 166 rep BMW rims , de-badged, cherished reg. chrome grill,

Originally Posted by SKK' post='208221
Not true at all - they have loads of "normal" cars on the show (including most BMW's I hasten to add including from recollection the X3, 3 Series and loads of 5 series . Most of the cars they review are within normal budgets. Sure they have the exotic stuff on the show as well and in my opinion the show is better for it - I mean would you rather see a Aston Martin DB9 go round a track or a Toyota Camry ???
[/quote]
They are self opinionated rude, and display an attitude of I don't like so no one will, and as for Clarkson who has a svengali like hold over the other two it is so nauseating to watch, like I ask you who want's to know what will go round a track faster where in any brochure have you seen the manufacturers use this useless info to sell their cars and Clarkson's attitude to diesel powered cars is downright ignorant and rude Yep if you want to know about cars and which one's to buy tune into topgear I don't think so