Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Top Gear is a wonderful TV programme !!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 02:50 AM
SKK
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just watched back to back episodes of this programme. It really is a class act and worth watching on a weekly basis.

Sure you have to put up with Clarkson's anti BMW vomit but he is actually getting more nuetral to them - he in fact likes the M6 and M5 !

In the two episodes I just watched they had amongst several other cars -

- a shootout in the Isle of Mann between a Porsche 911, Aston Martin and BMW M6. After driving them around for a while they fly out the The Stig (ex prof racing driver), close off one of the roads used in the Isle of Man TT race and let him rip. The M6 was no faster than the AM over the same stretch of winding road even though it had over 120 bhp more on tap. The Porsche has 140bhp less but was a full 6 seconds quicker than the M6 (129 sec vs 135). It looked blo*dy cold out there but they all seemed to have so much fun - the place was just deserted. The amazing thing was that Clarkson preferred the M6 but the other two went with the Porsche.

- Maserati Quattroporte. James May drove ths around some beautiful locations in Italy.

- Mercedes CLS

- Ascari supercar

- Ford GT40 (which I think Clarkson has bought personally and the other two were taking the piss out of him - it gave 4mpg around the test track)

They seem to test every good car out there week in week out and above all make the programme interesting by just having lots of fun. Then there is their dedicated test track and The Stig and every car they have on the programme goes through a lap and its time posted on their board (I think the Pagani Zonda, Ferrari Enzo were the top two fastest cars out there).

They also do some really good somparison stuff - like once they had two E60's - one a 535d and the other a 545i. I think the Stig was at the wheel of the 545i but he simply could not get past Clarkson in the 535d. They only did it to prove the point around the diesels torque.

I think we are lucky to have it.

If you watch it, do you have any favourite episodes or any that really stood out ?
Old 12-04-2005, 07:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by SKK' post='206912' date='Dec 4 2005, 03:50 AM
I just watched back to back episodes of this programme. It really is a class act and worth watching on a weekly basis.

Sure you have to put up with Clarkson's anti BMW vomit but he is actually getting more nuetral to them - he in fact likes the M6 and M5 !

In the two episodes I just watched they had amongst several other cars -

- a shootout in the Isle of Mann between a Porsche 911, Aston Martin and BMW M6. After driving them around for a while they fly out the The Stig (ex prof racing driver), close off one of the roads used in the Isle of Man TT race and let him rip. The M6 was no faster than the AM over the same stretch of winding road even though it had over 120 bhp more on tap. The Porsche has 140bhp less but was a full 6 seconds quicker than the M6 (129 sec vs 135). It looked blo*dy cold out there but they all seemed to have so much fun - the place was just deserted. The amazing thing was that Clarkson preferred the M6 but the other two went with the Porsche.

- Maserati Quattroporte. James May drove ths around some beautiful locations in Italy.

- Mercedes CLS

- Ascari supercar

- Ford GT40 (which I think Clarkson has bought personally and the other two were taking the piss out of him - it gave 4mpg around the test track)

They seem to test every good car out there week in week out and above all make the programme interesting by just having lots of fun. Then there is their dedicated test track and The Stig and every car they have on the programme goes through a lap and its time posted on their board (I think the Pagani Zonda, Ferrari Enzo were the top two fastest cars out there).

They also do some really good somparison stuff - like once they had two E60's - one a 535d and the other a 545i. I think the Stig was at the wheel of the 545i but he simply could not get past Clarkson in the 535d. They only did it to prove the point around the diesels torque.

I think we are lucky to have it.

If you watch it, do you have any favourite episodes or any that really stood out ?
I agree, but the recollection of the 545 vs 535 episode is off, it was other way around. The 545 was quicker round the track than the 535.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2003 X5 3.0----->gone 2004 Porsche Cayenne S : Gemballa front and back bodykit, fabspeed bypass pipes, Gemballa exhaust pipes, full option, 20" factory sport design rims------>gone 2005 545i 6-spd manual---->de-badged, CDV removal, Autosolutions short shift kit, resonator removal, premium package, PDC, xenon, almost full options, hardwire V1 install ....looking for mods... 2007 550i 6-spd----> Premium package, sport package, Logic7, heated everything, Rogue Engineering SSK, CDV removal, hardwire V1 install, aFe cold air intake, Custom Magnaflow exhaust....

wow....the 997 with 140bhp less was actually quite alot faster than teh M6.....damn I gotta watch that episode....
Old 12-04-2005, 07:40 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Jeffs' post='206995' date='Dec 4 2005, 08:32 AM
wow....the 997 with 140bhp less was actually quite alot faster than teh M6.....damn I gotta watch that episode....
Link posted here:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=18756
Old 12-04-2005, 07:49 AM
SKK
Senior Members

Originally Posted by stream' post='207003
Link posted here:
[/quote]

Stream - I assume the programme is actually broadcast in the States as well. Watching the video on the net sucks - much better on a 50" display !!!
Old 12-04-2005, 07:54 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by SKK' post='207008
Originally Posted by Jeffs' post='206995' date='Dec 4 2005, 08:32 AM
Link posted here:
Stream - I assume the programme is actually broadcast in the States as well. Watching the video on the net sucks - much better on a 50" display !!!
[/quote]

Top Gear is broadcast in the states, but we usually get 6 months+ old episodes, so it's either watch it on the web, or wait to watch it on my 60" TV. Sometimes I do both!
Old 12-04-2005, 08:56 AM
Senior Members

I agree. It is a reaIIy great programme.

If only Clarkson was smart enough to use i-Drive
Old 12-04-2005, 09:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 530iSE, Black Saphire with beige leather, auto, lux pack, comms pack, viz pack, power mirrors, 122 wheels

In London, unlike Southern California, we have the rain, dirty E60's and chilly winds, but at least we get Top Gear on Sundays as consolation.

Now let me think what would I prefer.......

I am crazy enough to subscribe to the magazine as well
Old 12-04-2005, 09:23 AM
SKK
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BMW#5' post='207030' date='Dec 4 2005, 05:56 PM
I agree. It is a reaIIy great programme.

If only Clarkson was smart enough to use i-Drive

True - the guy is a great reviewer but a muppet when it comes to technology.

Wonder whats on tonights programme.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:31 AM
Members

Originally Posted by stream' post='207010' date='Dec 4 2005, 11:54 AM
Top Gear is broadcast in the states, but we usually get 6 months+ old episodes, so it's either watch it on the web, or wait to watch it on my 60" TV. Sometimes I do both!
Where is it broadbast? I haven't seen it on BBC America. Used to watch it all the time in Ireland.

Quick Reply: Top Gear is a wonderful TV programme !!