Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Thinking about moving to CA, please advise~!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 03:25 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Move to TX! For about $1000 a month you can BUY a house here! Serious.
Though it is not much cooler than AZ.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 02" Porsche Carrera 911

Thanks very much guys, i figured $900 is too low for sandiego! i'll look into the other areas you were talking about!

The problem is that Scottsdale is VERY VERY NICE, but you can find an apartment or a condo here for about $900. I don't want to move somewhere ghetto then regret it in Cali... But i really wanted to change!
Old 08-30-2008, 04:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 jet black 530I, M-tech body kit, ac shnitzer roof and trunk spoiler. kelleners sport exhaust and pully kit on its way from germany.

for 900 a month it wont happen in cali. the closer you get to the beach the more you will pay.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:20 PM
Members

Originally Posted by tarek307' post='658130' date='Aug 30 2008, 08:00 PM
Thanks very much guys, i figured $900 is too low for sandiego! i'll look into the other areas you were talking about!

The problem is that Scottsdale is VERY VERY NICE, but you can find an apartment or a condo here for about $900. I don't want to move somewhere ghetto then regret it in Cali... But i really wanted to change!
It's not just San Diego that's way above $900, it's everywhere. Trust me, I've lived here all my life; North, South and Central Coast. The only places you'll find for $900 are way inland or in difficult neighborhoods. And it will be "ghetto" with a capital G. And it will be the kind of change you don't ever want, believe me.

Try the Central Valley, Fresno, etc.. for cheap(er) housing. But Scottsdale has those places beat by a long shot.

You are either going to have to pony up more money, or (as has already been suggested) do the multiple roommate thing.

On the other hand, wages reflect the cost of living here. Once you are gainfully employed you can step up.

It's all about LOCATION, LOCATION. And unfortunately you want what everybody else wants. Location is a huge commodity and so you'll have to pay some big prices.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:22 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by TwistTie' post='658145' date='Aug 30 2008, 07:20 PM
It's not just San Diego that's way above $900, it's everywhere. Trust me, I've lived here all my life; North, South and Central Coast. The only places you'll find for $900 are way inland or in difficult neighborhoods. And it will be "ghetto" with a capital G. And it will be the kind of change you don't ever want, believe me.

Try the Central Valley, Fresno, etc.. for cheap(er) housing. But Scottsdale has those places beat by a long shot.

You are either going to have to pony up more money, or (as has already been suggested) do the multiple roommate thing.

On the other hand, wages reflect the cost of living here. Once you are gainfully employed you can step up.

It's all about LOCATION, LOCATION. And unfortunately you want what everybody else wants. Location is a huge commodity and so you'll have to pay some big prices.

I hear ya Twistie, the thing is i'm def not doing the room mate thing, and def not living in the Ghetto!

Man you guys are really letting me know there is no chance...i think you guys just dont want another Egyptian in Cali..lol kidding!
Old 08-30-2008, 04:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 jet black 530I, M-tech body kit, ac shnitzer roof and trunk spoiler. kelleners sport exhaust and pully kit on its way from germany.

raise you price about 400 and you can get a Loft in Belmont Shores. but it is real small.

edit my Barbar is egyptian
Members

Originally Posted by tarek307' post='658147' date='Aug 30 2008, 08:22 PM
I hear ya Twistie, the thing is i'm def not doing the room mate thing, and def not living in the Ghetto!

Man you guys are really letting me know there is no chance...i think you guys just dont want another Egyptian in Cali..lol kidding!

Actually, that's one of the great things about living here. The diversity is pretty incredible. LA is a global city. That's partly why it's so exciting and dynamic.
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by tarek307' post='658147' date='Aug 30 2008, 05:22 PM

you might find a spot in an area you like..it'll just be really out-dated...found a few on craigslist in your price range mentioned..but looked like they were out of an episode of "That 70's Show"...
Old 08-30-2008, 04:35 PM
Members

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='658150' date='Aug 30 2008, 08:25 PM
you might find a spot in an area you like..it'll just be really out-dated...found a few on craigslist in your price range mentioned..but looked like they were out of an episode of "That 70's Show"...
Be careful what you see on craigslist. I can promise you that a $900 rental is not where you want to live.

I own property in Santa Barbara (it's in a long term lease now, so don't even think about it, Tarek ) and another thing the sub-prime/foreclosures debacle has created is a stronger demand for rentals. That has really driven the price of rental property up. If you're buying a house in Cali, you've got the upper hand. But renting is another story. In addition, credit is now much tighter and landlords are way more picky when it comes to tenants. You'll have to have a lot of cash up front for a lease.

Sorry, but more strikes against you.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:39 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by TwistTie' post='658153' date='Aug 30 2008, 08:35 PM
Be careful what you see on craigslist. I can promise you that a $900 rental is not where you want to live.

I own property in Santa Barbara (it's in a long term lease now, so don't even think about it, Tarek ) and another thing the sub-prime/foreclosures debacle has created is a stronger demand for rentals. That has really driven the price of rental property up. If you're buying a house in Cali, you've got the upper hand. But renting is another story. In addition, credit is now much tighter and landlords are way more picky when it comes to tenants. You'll have to have a lot of cash up front for a lease.

Sorry, but more strikes against you.
Well that sucks! Florida is so much cheaper, but i don't want to live there!

Quick Reply: Thinking about moving to CA, please advise~!