Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Be ready for over $6 / gallon.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 09:05 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 DINAN 135 convertible

Originally Posted by adam81osu' post='589182' date='May 27 2008, 12:15 PM
Two words: PEAK OIL. Read up on it online, it's depressing. If gas prices exceed $10 a gallon which many expect them to as early as 2010 the following will occur:
--Continued recession with public rioting, unrest, etc.
--Utility bills (gas, electricity, water) will go through the roof making it unaffordable for many to have basics
--Average American will no longer be able to afford a vehicle
--Suburban living will be destroyed as people are forced to live close to their jobs and basic necessities (grocery stores, medical etc)
--Products offered locally will be minimized as shipping costs will exceed product costs and make heavy transportation unaffordable
--Food costs will continue to rise for those foods which are shipped in and not produced locally
--Anything that requires some form of oil in the manufacturing process (ALMOST EVERYTHING! plastics, metals, you name it, it requires oil) will also skyrocket

Anyone else excited?

Many scientists predict that we will literally bump ourselves back to the stone age because EVERYTHING we use requires some form of oil to be produced. They look at our evolution on a huge timeline and the amount of technology we created in the last century looks like a tiny blip. It's scary!

My advice? Grow a garden in your backyard and pray
I don't see that happening for a number of reasons, the least of which is that if there were riots, a recession and a complete halt of commerce, the government would subsidize the price of gas/oil like China does/did to get things moving. The country would not turn into Lord of the Flies overnight.

Also, as I alluded to earlier, there are many other ways to find/get oil or oil substitutes that become economically viable as the price of oil goes up. There is oil locked in shale, in the sand in Canada, under the floor of the ocean. Those may all be expensive ways of getting to oil, but it is there and would be tapped if a barrel of oil cost $600. Suddenly, it becomes profitable to build that oil sand conversion facility or to build a plant to recycle plastic and frying oil into gasoline or something like that.

Regarding people not being able to commute, I think you would see (1) more telecommuting and working from home, (2) more motorcycles and scooters, which get 50-80 mpgs, and (3) more public buses/public transportation to alleviate that, even for suburb dwellers.

Finally, the materials I have read suggest that the world would hit an oil plateau in 50 years, but no peak, and certainly not this year or this decade.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by miguex' post='589185' date='May 27 2008, 07:17 PM
Expensive
Finland: $7.01/litre
The diesel costs now over here Euro 1,50 ($2.40) / liter that is $8.70 / gallon.
Gasoline costs even 15 euro cents more.

Therefore a 520d is not a bad E60 option...

?BMW Beats Prius in MPGs?

Read this article.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 Alpine White 530i

Research shows we've hit the peak now, or will in the next 5 years. By peak, I mean the gap increasing between what we demand worldwide and what we can produce. We're passing that balance point where production is keeping up with demand.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, A/T & Paddle Shifters, AW, NB Leather, Sport, Premium, Nav, 6FL

Let's all face it folks, Bush & Cheaney are CORRUPT MuddaF***ers!

Bush is retiring with a multi-million bank account and America is not questioning it. WHY??

Cheaney owns the construction company that's contracted with the military and we're at war and Cheaney is getting richer so as teammate Bush.

People in office are CORRUPT. They know people don't give a SHIT so they take advantage.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

Sorry, a mistyped: (It is not Finland)

Sierre Leone: 4.87/litre or 8.43 gallon.

by the way Finland, Germany and Netherlands are still expensive $2.36/litre or $8.93 gallon.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by jcool10181' post='589268' date='May 27 2008, 12:44 PM
Let's all face it folks, Bush & Cheaney are CORRUPT MuddaF***ers!

Bush is retiring with a multi-million bank account and America is not questioning it. WHY??

Cheaney owns the construction company that's contracted with the military and we're at war and Cheaney is getting richer so as teammate Bush.

People in office are CORRUPT. They know people don't give a SHIT so they take advantage.
1) Bush is retiring with a multi-million bank account and America is not questioning it. WHY?? Why? Because he came into office with a multi-million dollar bank account, unlike the Clinton's...

2) Cheaney owns the construction company that's contracted with the military and we're at war and Cheaney is getting richer so as teammate Bush. Um, not quite. He was once the CEO but left the job to take office and no longer owns any stock. Halliburton is a publicly traded company...

3) People in office are CORRUPT. They know people don't give a SHIT so they take advantage. Can't totally disagree with this one! But did want to set the facts straight on the first two...
Old 05-27-2008, 09:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by miguex' post='589269' date='May 27 2008, 08:44 PM
Sorry, a mistyped: (It is not Finland)

Sierre Leone: 4.87/litre or 8.43 gallon.

by the way Finland, Germany and Netherlands are still expensive $2.36/litre or $8.93 gallon.

That is Canadian dollars and GB gallons or what?

One Euro is worth today about 1,58 USD and 1,56 CAD.

The gasoline costs around 1,40 - 1,70 Euros in Europe today per metric liter.

One US gallon is about 3,8 liters.

Also note, that there is a difference between US and GB gallons and miles!
Old 05-27-2008, 09:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, A/T & Paddle Shifters, AW, NB Leather, Sport, Premium, Nav, 6FL

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='589274' date='May 27 2008, 10:51 AM
1) Bush is retiring with a multi-million bank account and America is not questioning it. WHY?? Why? Because he came into office with a multi-million dollar bank account, unlike the Clinton's... Are you saying BUSH is NOT CORRUPT at all??? Ya right!

2) Cheaney owns the construction company that's contracted with the military and we're at war and Cheaney is getting richer so as teammate Bush. Um, not quite. He was once the CEO but left the job to take office and no longer owns any stock. Halliburton is a publicly traded company... Of course they want Cheaney out just to make him look clean but I bet he's getting some $$ from Halliburton.

3) People in office are CORRUPT. They know people don't give a SHIT so they take advantage. Can't totally disagree with this one! But did want to set the facts straight on the first two...
Old 05-27-2008, 10:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue, Black Interior, Sport Package, Satellite

I'm looking to replace one of our cars with a more fuel efficient car. I was close to buying a Pirus, but the price keeps going up-- I think they are a BAD value and not very safe. I believe you pay a $5k plus premium for the Hybrid because a tin can like a Prius should cost less than $22K IMO. You will never recoup that premium in fuel savings. Dealers in california are charging full MSRP and above. A Prius with leather and Nav costs about $28k new right now. I went to the dealer in Palo Alto to drive one and found that Channel 7 news was doing a story on the price of gas and the popularity of the Prius.

I have been looking into diesel cars. I am not seeing any sedans (lots of pick-ups thought!) that are offered for sale in the US currently through dealers. On Craigslist, I can find a few Mercedes (old) and Volkswagen Golf/Jetta diesels, but looking at the Volkswagen website, they only offer the Toureg in a TDI version currently, although they say that other models with TDI engines will be available in the US in the fall that use a new low-sulphur diesel fuel. I don't know if you need a special engine to run that type of fuel... information is very sketchy.

Anyway, my point is that gas hybrids are not big winners in my opinion because they are offered in lousy models that aren't very attractive / safe. Diesel seems like a good solution to me, but I can't find any models for sale in the US currently. If there were a Golf/Rabbit diesel avail and I could get leather, nav, sport package (ie. like GTI), i would buy it in a heartbeat. Better yet, the BMW 520d would be fantastic. Perhaps when the new fuels are available....
Old 05-27-2008, 10:54 AM
Members

I'm not too worried, I get considerable enjoyment from just looking at my 550 -- and that doesn't require any fuel?!

I have a friend at work that thinks he's an environmentalist, and drives a '87 Toyota 4-cylinder... He gets worse mileage than my 550, and pollutes a heck of alot more to boot.

-- Kelly

Quick Reply: Be ready for over $6 / gallon.