Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Parents and Discipline.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 07:15 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As the Chinese would say, "you rack disciprine"
Old 02-19-2010, 07:51 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Krozi
As the Chinese would say, "you rack disciprine"
RACIST!

Old 02-19-2010, 08:32 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by craigm1841
RACIST!

Hahaha, or as The German, Hans Blitzalot, would say, NEIN! Yuu have no discipleen!
Old 02-19-2010, 10:39 AM
Senior Members

Or as the indians say. Yeh gora insan bare pagal ho tha hay.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04 530i Space Gray/ Black Dakota Leather interior with SMG, Sports Package+ Paddle Shifters, HUD, NAV, Premium Package, Multi-Contour Seats, Xenons , Logic 7.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Or as us white trash would say: u sure do gotta purdy mouth
Old 02-19-2010, 09:02 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by melimel
I beat my kids and husband daily..
Lucky husband......
Old 02-20-2010, 12:58 AM
Members

after reading some of the posts, some of them being real sad, about people talking about their past, i can't help but to share my experience as well.

i am also an Asian decent, i got my fair share of beating. my father is a very strict person, i got beaten whenever i got a bad grade, fought with my siblings or did anything that was not appropriate; he also forced me to learn a lot of things from music to sports. When i was a kid, i was afraid of him. He could just literally look at me and make me quiet when i was crying after being scold or beaten. i also don't like how he forced me to learn a lot of things, because that would take away most of my holiday time. however, my mother would always be the person who care and console me after i got beaten. she was the one who let me felt that i am still being loved after i got beaten. she always took time to explain that all my father doings was because he loved me. because of this, i never really hated my dad, but i was still afraid of him.

as i grew up to understand what is right and what is wrong, my father also changed. He is still strict to me, but no more beating was used to discipline us kids. he still scold me at times when i did something wrong, but then i have come to understand that its all for my good. i also come to appreciate all his beating and forcing that he did for me; i even regretted he didn't forced me enough in some of the things, like learning piano and mandarin. this is because i know, if he hadn't forced me, i wouldn't have known how to speak english, how to swim or even how to protect myself. if he hadn't straighten my path, i might not even be the person that i am now.

now that im almost 20, my father has changed and gotten older a lot. he still at times look out and guide me, but he now believes that i know whats the best for myself. even i am now 18000 miles away from home, my parents don't need to monitor me from time to time. although i don't work, i get my own financial freedom. compare to some of my friends need her mom to control him/her financially just to make sure that he/she does not do anything stupid. i am not perfect and i don't claim to be perfect, but i am happy that at least i can make my parents feel proud of me. i also understand that some of you have different experiences with different level of beating from me, and i don't think they are right. but looking at my cousins here, whose parents never beat or even rarely scold them, hold no respect for their parents are just disheartening. therefore, i still have to agree to beating(with no intent to harming) is necessary for parents to discipline their kids, until the point that they know for themselves what is and is not right to do. as for step-parents, its a different story as they are not actually "your" parents.

ps for krozi; i am a currently an undergraduate psych student at ucla, but i have no intention to be a psychologist or psychiatrist myself. it is true that psychologist/psychiatrist is a job with the highest suicide rate, but hey, maybe its because diagnosing a depressed person end up depressing u as well.
also my friend, people don't become psychologist/psychiatrist because they are mentally unstable, it is because they want to help people.

Cheers,
unlimited90
Old 02-20-2010, 06:08 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by aretardedorange
Or as the indians say. Yeh gora insan bare pagal ho tha hay.
what'd ya just call 'em?

Originally Posted by unlimited90
after reading some of the posts, some of them being real sad, about people talking about their past, i can't help but to share my experience as well.

i am also an Asian decent, i got my fair share of beating. my father is a very strict person, i got beaten whenever i got a bad grade, fought with my siblings or did anything that was not appropriate; he also forced me to learn a lot of things from music to sports. When i was a kid, i was afraid of him. He could just literally look at me and make me quiet when i was crying after being scold or beaten. i also don't like how he forced me to learn a lot of things, because that would take away most of my holiday time. however, my mother would always be the person who care and console me after i got beaten. she was the one who let me felt that i am still being loved after i got beaten. she always took time to explain that all my father doings was because he loved me. because of this, i never really hated my dad, but i was still afraid of him.

as i grew up to understand what is right and what is wrong, my father also changed. He is still strict to me, but no more beating was used to discipline us kids. he still scold me at times when i did something wrong, but then i have come to understand that its all for my good. i also come to appreciate all his beating and forcing that he did for me; i even regretted he didn't forced me enough in some of the things, like learning piano and mandarin. this is because i know, if he hadn't forced me, i wouldn't have known how to speak english, how to swim or even how to protect myself. if he hadn't straighten my path, i might not even be the person that i am now.

now that im almost 20, my father has changed and gotten older a lot. he still at times look out and guide me, but he now believes that i know whats the best for myself. even i am now 18000 miles away from home, my parents don't need to monitor me from time to time. although i don't work, i get my own financial freedom. compare to some of my friends need her mom to control him/her financially just to make sure that he/she does not do anything stupid. i am not perfect and i don't claim to be perfect, but i am happy that at least i can make my parents feel proud of me. i also understand that some of you have different experiences with different level of beating from me, and i don't think they are right. but looking at my cousins here, whose parents never beat or even rarely scold them, hold no respect for their parents are just disheartening. therefore, i still have to agree to beating(with no intent to harming) is necessary for parents to discipline their kids, until the point that they know for themselves what is and is not right to do. as for step-parents, its a different story as they are not actually "your" parents.

ps for krozi; i am a currently an undergraduate psych student at ucla, but i have no intention to be a psychologist or psychiatrist myself. it is true that psychologist/psychiatrist is a job with the highest suicide rate, but hey, maybe its because diagnosing a depressed person end up depressing u as well.
also my friend, people don't become psychologist/psychiatrist because they are mentally unstable, it is because they want to help people.

Cheers,
unlimited90
Hey, thanks for sharing
IMO takes balls to just up and open to a bunch of strangers, but that's what it takes sometimes to keep moving forward... who knows, right?

Actually, just wanted to reflect a little on your address to Krozi regarding the suicide rate in Psych professionals. I think too many people in this profession themselves often do not know how to "unload" all the negativity that they accept in the course of their work hours from their patients. As a result, they are not as social and that leads to more issues and it ends up kind of snowballing with a whole lot of issues, bottles up inside and eventually just snaps the nerves of the host. I have a few friends who are in the Psych profession - both private psychiatrists and social workers. Amazingly enough, the friend who is a social worker is the happiest guy of all - he went into this profession wanting to make the world a better place and he has this look on his face like he's succeeding a little bit every day. I won't draw any conclusions from this now, but it is food for thought...
Old 02-20-2010, 07:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Originally Posted by v_therussian
what'd ya just call 'em?

Hey, thanks for sharing
IMO takes balls to just up and open to a bunch of strangers, but that's what it takes sometimes to keep moving forward... who knows, right?

Actually, just wanted to reflect a little on your address to Krozi regarding the suicide rate in Psych professionals. I think too many people in this profession themselves often do not know how to "unload" all the negativity that they accept in the course of their work hours from their patients. As a result, they are not as social and that leads to more issues and it ends up kind of snowballing with a whole lot of issues, bottles up inside and eventually just snaps the nerves of the host. I have a few friends who are in the Psych profession - both private psychiatrists and social workers. Amazingly enough, the friend who is a social worker is the happiest guy of all - he went into this profession wanting to make the world a better place and he has this look on his face like he's succeeding a little bit every day. I won't draw any conclusions from this now, but it is food for thought...
True dat! A good shrink needs a good shrink

Quick Reply: Parents and Discipline.