Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Parents and Discipline.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 05:31 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being from a "desi" backround. (Indian/Pakistani) we have very strict discipline in our households. From an early age I got beat by "Chappal" or as you guys call them flip flops,wooden spatulas, hands, you name it. I still get the "smack" sometimes due to grades, or behavior.

Us indian/pakis don't believe in grounding the kids or taking away cell phones/video games/etc. The thinking is "A good beating" would fix the problem. Which I have to admit does.

I know we have many Indian/Pakistani members on this board they will recall these days. I also know we have many teenagers, fathers and mothers on this board. So kids/parents what type of discipline works in your house?
Old 02-17-2010, 05:38 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

imho beating only works when the kid doesn't understand right/wrong (<12 yrs old?).
Old 02-17-2010, 05:48 PM
Contributors

i would have let my parents beat the fuck out of me if they bought me a 5 series.

oh wait... they did, and i drove a piece of shit.

shut up.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:56 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by acuteperformance
imho beating only works when the kid doesn't understand right/wrong (<12 yrs old?).
+1, hopefully the parents find a good balance between talking and woopin' so that by that age, the kids understand what's right and what's wrong and when they are being little sh*ts

When I see a parent who bargains with their kid with food or toys for good behaviour, I 1) laugh 2) fast forward a couple of years when that kid is gonna be some DB little prick who doesn't give two sh*ts about anything...

If you haven't noticed, I am not very fond of kids in the 7-14 age groups, due to the fact that most of them are annoying little sh*ts who haven't learned to touch something without breaking it. Man I hate that the most...
For some reason I get along with people the best when they are at least 22...when they are somewhat out of the toolbag phase...
Old 02-17-2010, 06:10 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by acuteperformance
beating also works when parents don't know how to parent. eventually they just chase you with hockey sticks, bats, and cars. needless to say I was fairly athletic. then one day i broke my stepfathers leg. that is when he realized the tables turned. that was the last fight we had.

Note to parents... if you hit your kids, and you are 5'9, 130 lbs, there is a good chance your kid could one day be bigger then you and beat your ass one day.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:13 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Krozi
+1, hopefully the parents find a good balance between talking and woopin' so that by that age, the kids understand what's right and what's wrong and when they are being little sh*ts

When I see a parent who bargains with their kid with food or toys for good behaviour, I 1) laugh 2) fast forward a couple of years when that kid is gonna be some DB little prick who doesn't give two sh*ts about anything...

If you haven't noticed, I am not very fond of kids in the 7-14 age groups, due to the fact that most of them are annoying little sh*ts who haven't learned to touch something without breaking it. Man I hate that the most...
For some reason I get along with people the best when they are at least 22...when they are somewhat out of the toolbag phase...
Maybe it is the military in me. I hit my dog once when he was a puppy (which i regret, but it wasn't that bad). Now when i say something, he snaps to it like death is eminent. Sometimes I break out my NCO voice (some of you know what i am talking about) and my dog will INSTANTLY do what I say.

I don't ever plan on hitting my children, but they will be disciplined. I don't fuck around. period.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:26 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Whatever my parents did seemed to have worked pretty well...so that's what I'm gonna do lol
It's not like I got beaten with a belt lol, but the occasional smack on the head did the trick lol that little ring hurts on the back head hahahaha
What kinda dog you got?
Old 02-17-2010, 06:34 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Krozi
Whatever my parents did seemed to have worked pretty well...so that's what I'm gonna do lol
It's not like I got beaten with a belt lol, but the occasional smack on the head did the trick lol that little ring hurts on the back head hahahaha
What kinda dog you got?
I learned a lot from my parents. sometimes learning what not to do is the best lesson. When I was in the Army I learned the most from the bad leaders.

My dog is one of a kind! he is an Oscar dog! actually i think he is a golden retriever/border collie mix

Old 02-17-2010, 08:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Sport Package, Black/Grey. Got it July 09.
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by craigm1841
beating also works when parents don't know how to parent. eventually they just chase you with hockey sticks, bats, and cars. needless to say I was fairly athletic. then one day i broke my stepfathers leg. that is when he realized the tables turned. that was the last fight we had.

Note to parents... if you hit your kids, and you are 5'9, 130 lbs, there is a good chance your kid could one day be bigger then you and beat your ass one day.
i cant imagine how little one could respect their parents, if at all, to even consider raising a hand against them.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by craigm1841

Originally Posted by danzanchy
i cant imagine how little one could respect their parents, if at all, to even consider raising a hand against them.
Doesn't everyone pass the stage where you become better at something than your parents? I think so; its a right of passage (or whatever they call it).

Nah, if you have a stepfather who physically abuses you, you got my "ok"... just don't go overboard - block, apply some holds, show that DB his place and let him save his face for you mom's sake

Quick Reply: Parents and Discipline.