Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Parents and Discipline.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 05:36 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Originally Posted by aretardedorange
Being from a "desi" backround. (Indian/Pakistani) we have very strict discipline in our households. From an early age I got beat by "Chappal" or as you guys call them flip flops,wooden spatulas, hands, you name it. I still get the "smack" sometimes due to grades, or behavior.

Us indian/pakis don't believe in grounding the kids or taking away cell phones/video games/etc. The thinking is "A good beating" would fix the problem. Which I have to admit does.

I know we have many Indian/Pakistani members on this board they will recall these days. I also know we have many teenagers, fathers and mothers on this board. So kids/parents what type of discipline works in your house?
Reminds me of this clip
(Yes it's a repost)
Old 02-18-2010, 05:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

I beat my kids and husband daily..
Old 02-18-2010, 08:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04 530i Space Gray/ Black Dakota Leather interior with SMG, Sports Package+ Paddle Shifters, HUD, NAV, Premium Package, Multi-Contour Seats, Xenons , Logic 7.

Being from a "desi" backround. (Indian/Pakistani) we have very strict discipline in our households. From an early age I got beat by "Chappal" or as you guys call them flip flops,wooden spatulas, hands, you name it. I still get the "smack" sometimes due to grades, or behavior.

Us indian/pakis don't believe in grounding the kids or taking away cell phones/video games/etc. The thinking is "A good beating" would fix the problem. Which I have to admit does.

I know we have many Indian/Pakistani members on this board they will recall these days. I also know we have many teenagers, fathers and mothers on this board. So kids/parents what type of discipline works in your house?
I come from a desi background too and my mom would smack me around when I was very young but my dad rarely hit me cause he hated smacking kids and always treated us like his best friends. If we did anything stupid he would only scold us but if it was something serious,he would smack me once and wouldn't talk to us for a couple of days. Over the years I got used to my mom smacking me around but my dad's methods were always effective. I'm 27 now so obviously things have changed, now I use the same discipline concepts on my son(4 yr old) and it seems to be working pretty well most of the times.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:12 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by acuteperformance
imho beating only works when the kid doesn't understand right/wrong (<12 yrs old?).

I agree, I am very strict with my boys now (they are 3 and 1) so that, hopefully, as they grow I can loosen up and let them make their own decisions. At some point you have to trust in what you taught your children and that they have absorbed and learned from it.
My parents were a lot like your "desi" ones, I guess Latin culture isn't all that different. While I do believe in "spare the rod, spoil the child" there are limits and there has to be a level of trust you have in your kids - yes they will make mistakes, but they only need harsh discipline when they don't and/or refuse to LEARN from them.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:33 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by MIK_82
I come from a desi background too and my mom would smack me around when I was very young but my dad rarely hit me cause he hated smacking kids and always treated us like his best friends. If we did anything stupid he would only scold us but if it was something serious,he would smack me once and wouldn't talk to us for a couple of days. Over the years I got used to my mom smacking me around but my dad's methods were always effective. I'm 27 now so obviously things have changed, now I use the same discipline concepts on my son(4 yr old) and it seems to be working pretty well most of the times.
+1 my mom is the only one that did the "severe" things. My dad raised his voice or give me a scolding when I was young but no physical stuff. But this type of parenting is effective I have to say.

Pjinca I guess us desis, you latino folks share a lot of common things. Same way of parenting ANDDDD the food is the same level of "hotness/spicy". Plus many more things that I am to lazy to list. lol
Old 02-18-2010, 01:12 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by danzanchy
i cant imagine how little one could respect their parents, if at all, to even consider raising a hand against them.
Good, I don't imagine how one could think it is okay to be beaten for 10 years. After he had broken a hand on my brother, and had a stroke chasing my other brother, it was my turn. I turned around and pushed him while he was chasing me (edit, he punched me, not the other way around) following a punch in the face, he fell, broke a leg.

so guess what? Fuck off. Preach to someone when you know the whole story.

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Doesn't everyone pass the stage where you become better at something than your parents? I think so; its a right of passage (or whatever they call it).

Nah, if you have a stepfather who physically abuses you, you got my "ok"... just don't go overboard - block, apply some holds, show that DB his place and let him save his face for you mom's sake
in all reality, i just got taller then him at that point. he was still much stronger. now I outweigh him by about 80 lbs, and I am pretty solid. we get along fine in passing.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04 530i Space Gray/ Black Dakota Leather interior with SMG, Sports Package+ Paddle Shifters, HUD, NAV, Premium Package, Multi-Contour Seats, Xenons , Logic 7.

+1 my mom is the only one that did the "severe" things. My dad raised his voice or give me a scolding when I was young but no physical stuff. But this type of parenting is effective I have to say.

Pjinca I guess us desis, you latino folks share a lot of common things. Same way of parenting ANDDDD the food is the same level of "hotness/spicy". Plus many more things that I am to lazy to list. lol
I used to love it when my mom tried to smack me cause she would get hurt more than i did and at the end there was always a good meal after getting smacked.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:24 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by craigm1841
in all reality, i just got taller then him at that point. he was still much stronger. now I outweigh him by about 80 lbs, and I am pretty solid. we get along fine in passing.
You know what they say...a good fist fight brings people together
Old 02-18-2010, 02:12 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by MIK_82
I used to love it when my mom tried to smack me cause she would get hurt more than i did and at the end there was always a good meal after getting smacked.
7 years old I remember. Mom got mad tried smacking me hit a cup of chai it fell and the cup broke not to mention the carpet got stained.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:47 PM
Senior Members

7 years old I remember. Mom got mad tried smacking me hit a cup of chai it fell and the cup broke not to mention the carpet got stained.
Oh boy, my mom would kill me if something broke while she was running around trying to smack me

Quick Reply: Parents and Discipline.