Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

NYPD shoots and kills one of its own...

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 02:25 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Thats absolutely terrible. A by-product of the gun culture I'd guess. Shoot first and talk afterwards. And it seems to be getting more prevelant.

The other thing that gets me is the number of rounds they fire. They sure seem keen on emptying every clip.

It just reminded me of a short news clip within the last week or so where a cop pushed some poor unfortunate against a wall and he ended up in a coma. I haven't heard anything else since but I do hope he pulls through it.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i, Sport and Premium package, Titanium Silver with Black Dakota Leather interior

Originally Posted by IrishEyes' post='895951' date='May 31 2009, 06:25 PM
Thats absolutely terrible. A by-product of the gun culture I'd guess. Shoot first and talk afterwards. And it seems to be getting more prevelant.

The other thing that gets me is the number of rounds they fire. They sure seem keen on emptying every clip.

It just reminded me of a short news clip within the last week or so where a cop pushed some poor unfortunate against a wall and he ended up in a coma. I haven't heard anything else since but I do hope he pulls through it.
Bad assumption Irish. There are millions of responsible legal gun owners here. Your assumption would suggest millions of gun incidents. Not true, doesn't happen. This was an incident between 2 LEOs (law enforcement officers). For you to suggest that this incident is the result of a "gun culture" is ridiculous.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Originally Posted by rogerj' post='896000' date='Jun 1 2009, 01:07 AM
Bad assumption Irish. There are millions of responsible legal gun owners here. Your assumption would suggest millions of gun incidents. Not true, doesn't happen. This was an incident between 2 LEOs (law enforcement officers). For you to suggest that this incident is the result of a "gun culture" is ridiculous.

Ooops, I think I upset a gun owner Pistols at dawn.

Could very well be a bad assumption.

When I'm over on hols in the US, I assume everyone has a gun. At home (or nearly everywhere else I've been for that matter) I don't.

Would LEO's in general think the same and assume the worst? I don't know how many times I've seen cops approaching cars pulled over for some minor offence and nearly all approach cautiously, some with their hand poised over the gun. I think thats an awful position to be in. For both parties.
All it needs is the wrong move, however innocent and the chances of bullets flying increases. Thats the bit that scares the hell out of me. And then to make things worse, swap in a gun novice. LEO or otherwise.

The place is awash with guns and unfortunately not everyone with a gun is a responsible law abiding citizen. My simple brain can only deduce that the more guns out there the more likely something bad is going to happen.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:56 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by CWS530' post='894450' date='May 29 2009, 08:56 PM
What a drag. This should be a lesson to anyone who carries, not just police officers. I was told a story by a range intructor about a guy who saw some dude covered in blood yelling, "Stay back or I'll kill you bitch." He couldn't see the woman. He drew his gun and told the bloody guy to freeze. When the guy instinctually turned toward him to see who was yelling at him, the good sammaritan shot and paralyzed him. Turns out the woman was a hooker who'd gotten in an argument over the amount for a parking lot BJ with the first guy and began attacking him with a knife. The guy was backing up and trying to get her to stop by drawing his gun. In other words, you never know what the situation is, so don't draw unless you absolutely have to, period. The shooter was a prominent local citizen who was convicted for shooting the guy and then sued by the man he paralyzed. Now he's in jail and penniless, his family is devastated, and the another guy is paralyzed.
as a civilian, you NEVER pull out a gun unless you plan on pulling that trigger. civilians dont have the right to pull out a weapon as a form of intimidation or a way to get someone to stop doing something. you pull it, you use it. period. otherwise leave it concealed. a weapon is not a reasoning tool for a civilian. If you dont need to kill someone to protect life, dont pull out your weapon.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Pathetic situation all around. I've read all the posts and they are just excellent. I personally wouldn't play the race card, though. I'd wait and see what the evidence is post-investigation. Playing the race card, this early (even before the investigation has begun) is a really sad commentary.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i, Sport and Premium package, Titanium Silver with Black Dakota Leather interior

Originally Posted by IrishEyes' post='897182' date='Jun 1 2009, 07:35 PM
Ooops, I think I upset a gun owner Pistols at dawn.

Could very well be a bad assumption.

When I'm over on hols in the US, I assume everyone has a gun. At home (or nearly everywhere else I've been for that matter) I don't.

Would LEO's in general think the same and assume the worst? I don't know how many times I've seen cops approaching cars pulled over for some minor offence and nearly all approach cautiously, some with their hand poised over the gun. I think thats an awful position to be in. For both parties.
All it needs is the wrong move, however innocent and the chances of bullets flying increases. Thats the bit that scares the hell out of me. And then to make things worse, swap in a gun novice. LEO or otherwise.

The place is awash with guns and unfortunately not everyone with a gun is a responsible law abiding citizen. My simple brain can only deduce that the more guns out there the more likely something bad is going to happen.
<div align='left'></div>

I agree whole-heartedly... and as a law abiding citizen... I choose to protect myself against those irresponsible, non-law-abiding citizens.

Unless you can identify, control, and contain ALL those who may use a deadly weapon against me or mine. I INSIST that that I have access to the same defense that may be used as an offense against me.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by juris335' post='897229' date='Jun 1 2009, 08:13 PM
Pathetic situation all around. I've read all the posts and they are just excellent. I personally wouldn't play the race card, though. I'd wait and see what the evidence is post-investigation. Playing the race card, this early (even before the investigation has begun) is a really sad commentary.
+1.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Irish- Please put the facts into proper perspective. Consider :
1. Ireland (your entire country) has 4+ million citizens substantiall all are of Irish descent.
2. Houston (just one American city) has 2.2 million citizens. America has 300 million very diverse citizens.
3. Our liberally biased media hates guns and will give tremendous play to any story placing guns and gun ownership in a bad light.
4. Thus, you see plenty of stories that are negative about guns.

As for Racisism it is mindless to scream racisism before the facts are investigated. Emotions often blind intellect so the intellect cannot be used. This case may be racism or it may not. No one on this site was an eye witness so no one can use his intellect and claim it was racism. The instant I see a story about a black cop who shoots a white guy I do not assert it was racism. I wait till the investigation is complete then make my own intellectual analysis. It is racisim to play the race card before any facts are known. Just my 2 cents.