Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

NYPD shoots and kills one of its own...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 07:51 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by lightfytr' post='893957' date='May 29 2009, 08:28 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/05/29/ny.officer.killed/

NEW YORK (CNN) -- A police officer was shot to death by another officer as he was chasing a man he saw breaking into his car in New York's East Harlem neighborhood , authorities said.

New York Police Department Officer Omar Edwards, 25, was shot twice about 10:30 p.m. Thursday just blocks from the precinct where he had finished his shift. He was pronounced dead less than an hour later at Harlem Hospital.

Edwards, in plainclothes, had just left the Housing Bureau Station House on East 124th St., said Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly. As Edwards approached his car, he saw a man rummaging through it.

"We believe that at this point, Officer Edwards, with his gun drawn, chased the individual north to 125th Street and east toward First Avenue," Kelly said at a news conference in New York early Friday at Harlem Hospital.

Edwards was not wearing a bulletproof vest and did not fire a shot, Kelly said.

Plainclothes officers patrolling the neighborhood in an unmarked vehicle saw the chase and went after Edwards and the suspect.

"One of the officers, after exiting the vehicle, fired six times from a 9 mm Glock," Kelly said.

Edwards was shot in the chest and arm. It was not clear whether any of the officers had identified themselves as law enforcement.

The officer who fired the shots has four-and-a-half years' experience, authorities said. The shooting is under investigation, Kelly said.

A man was later arrested on suspicion of breaking into Edwards' car.
The problem was that the dead cop was guilty of being an UCWB (undercover cop while black) and his shooter was a white cop. Typical NY, racist cops..... Some things never change. I'm really pissed....
Old 05-29-2009, 09:04 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im pretty sure the shoot officer didnt identify himself correctly perhaps the dead cop reached for his badge but got shot up smfh real corny stuff going on around lately
Old 05-29-2009, 09:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Truly sad on both ends. We have one dead officer who was attempting to protect his property and effect an arrest. And we have one who was working his shift and saw what he thought was a male chasing another one with a gun. Nobody wins in these situations and so many questions arise from this. Experience, gun control and tactics all play a major part. There are no winners here everyone will pay a price one way or another.

Rick..
Old 05-29-2009, 04:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

What a drag. This should be a lesson to anyone who carries, not just police officers. I was told a story by a range intructor about a guy who saw some dude covered in blood yelling, "Stay back or I'll kill you bitch." He couldn't see the woman. He drew his gun and told the bloody guy to freeze. When the guy instinctually turned toward him to see who was yelling at him, the good sammaritan shot and paralyzed him. Turns out the woman was a hooker who'd gotten in an argument over the amount for a parking lot BJ with the first guy and began attacking him with a knife. The guy was backing up and trying to get her to stop by drawing his gun. In other words, you never know what the situation is, so don't draw unless you absolutely have to, period. The shooter was a prominent local citizen who was convicted for shooting the guy and then sued by the man he paralyzed. Now he's in jail and penniless, his family is devastated, and the another guy is paralyzed.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='894069' date='May 29 2009, 11:51 AM
The problem was that the dead cop was guilty of being an UCWB (undercover cop while black) and his shooter was a white cop. Typical NY, racist cops..... Some things never change. I'm really pissed....
ya know thats not fair to say.. not all ny cops are racist.. honestly! racism is worldwide, unfortunately even in law enforcement.. whos to say this cop wasnt a rookie or just wreckless and fired his gun? he obviously fired it 6 times and hit the poor guy twice! he wasnt running at the officer-from what i heard. correct me if im wrong then

i dont know, but to say all n.y cops are racist i think is wrong, ive grown up with alot around me and met alot along the way and would never be able to say that about any of them that i know

im pissed too because it makes the friggen police up here in n.y look retarded! over and over.. so it pisses me off too
Old 05-29-2009, 07:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

I cannot believe that the police used proper procedures here. Seems to me that this would not have occurred if the shooting officer had demanded that the victim identify himself. I can only conclude that the shooter did not realize that the off duty cop was indeed a cop before he shot.

As far as racism goes, some cops are racist and some are not -- just like everyone else.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:33 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

horrible
Old 05-31-2009, 05:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by melimel' post='894579' date='May 29 2009, 11:39 PM
ya know thats not fair to say.. not all ny cops are racist.. honestly! racism is worldwide, unfortunately even in law enforcement.. whos to say this cop wasnt a rookie or just wreckless and fired his gun? he obviously fired it 6 times and hit the poor guy twice! he wasnt running at the officer-from what i heard. correct me if im wrong then

i dont know, but to say all n.y cops are racist i think is wrong, ive grown up with alot around me and met alot along the way and would never be able to say that about any of them that i know

im pissed too because it makes the friggen police up here in n.y look retarded! over and over.. so it pisses me off too
Sorry, Mel, police racism is alive and well everywhere:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/yt-YTe8M10aQeA/new_york_police_brutality_racism_against_blacks/
http://www.indypendent.org/2009/02/27/racist-tactics/
Old 05-31-2009, 06:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

This was a very sad story. I was reading it in Newsday yesterday. I feel terrible for his family and children. He sounded like a great person.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i, Sport and Premium package, Titanium Silver with Black Dakota Leather interior

Originally Posted by CWS530' post='894450' date='May 29 2009, 08:56 PM
What a drag. This should be a lesson to anyone who carries, not just police officers. I was told a story by a range intructor about a guy who saw some dude covered in blood yelling, "Stay back or I'll kill you bitch." He couldn't see the woman. He drew his gun and told the bloody guy to freeze. When the guy instinctually turned toward him to see who was yelling at him, the good sammaritan shot and paralyzed him. Turns out the woman was a hooker who'd gotten in an argument over the amount for a parking lot BJ with the first guy and began attacking him with a knife. The guy was backing up and trying to get her to stop by drawing his gun. In other words, you never know what the situation is, so don't draw unless you absolutely have to, period. The shooter was a prominent local citizen who was convicted for shooting the guy and then sued by the man he paralyzed. Now he's in jail and penniless, his family is devastated, and the another guy is paralyzed.
Good points Cal. When I took my CCW class, the instructor gave the following scenario: Say you are in your car driving through a residential neighborhood. A man runs out into the street being chased by a man with a gun. The unarmed man falls down in the street and the man with the gun jumps on top of him. You are carrying your gun, what do you do? The answer is NOTHING! Of course every class has a dipshit who says he would get out and shoot the gunman. The instructor than proceeds to tell him that you just shot an undercover cop.

Sounds like what happened here. Dumbass got involved without knowing the circumstances. And I wonder whose life was being threatened to justify deadly force? Must also question why the dead officer had his gun out. Was he gonna shoot the guy for rummaging through his car? I doubt it. Then it shouldn't have been out of his holster.

A tragedy all the way around. The criteria for the use of deadly force is the same for police as it it for us non-LEOs. This will be investigated thoroughly because the dead guy was a LEO. If he was a citizen with a CCW, case closed, justified police shooting. It is unbelievable down here in South Florida how many unarmed people are shot and killed by police and 99.9% of them or determined to be justified. I am rambling now so I will quit.

Quick Reply: NYPD shoots and kills one of its own...