Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

NYC speeding ticket advice please

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009 | 05:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Originally Posted by sundell' post='1051835' date='Nov 10 2009, 03:12 PM
all you did was show up to court and they offered you a reduced fine? were you required to show up in court or did you plea 'not guilty' on your ticket, mail it in, and then wait for your court date. did you have to plea your case before the judge?

the road in question is completely desserted, between two cemetaries under the BQE!!!, but a few months ago 3 kids were killed there cause they were speeding at 3am, lost control and crashed into the support columns, so now they have cops posted there from time to time handing out tickets to everyone is what the cop told me.

apologies for all the questions, what ive done in the past is just mail the ticket in with a check, which i now know is the dumbest thing to do.
apparantly the officer was under investigation by IAB and therefore was told could NOT let me go with the inital ticket. true or not whatever...
i didnt know they put up a new and different sign. i went straight when i was told i had to turn left. no biggie, but nonetheless it was a moving violation. my dad told me to go to court, plead not guilty and see what happens.. i did go, pleaded and told the judge my story, how i didnt know, its a new sign, etc.. he reduced it and that was it. it all happened so fast. i would assume the points still stayed even after the fine was paid, but i cant recall my insurance going up at all.. its my first moving violation and it was about 3 and a half years ago if not more....i would try to plead not guilty. i mean if your record is clean, the fine wont go up.. and at the very least it will get reduced..
Old 11-11-2009 | 06:03 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 545i

just talked to geico and they said my rates wont go up since i have a perfect record. the customer service rep (who was also from NYC) said she has gone to court many times and they would automatically reduce it to no points if you show up. so now i dont want to pay the mandatory surcharge ($300) from DMV.
will keep you all posted.

i appreciate all the replies.
Old 11-11-2009 | 06:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525

NYC is becoming such a bitch place to live in. $11 to cross the verazano bridge, mandatory $25 license plates, $300 surcharges on tickets...its no wonder so many people are moving out of NYC.
good luck dude.
Old 11-11-2009 | 06:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by pukka' post='1051922' date='Nov 10 2009, 05:54 PM
What a coincidence - I was in traffic court today for a speeding ticket I got awhile back.

Depending on the county/municpality things could work out differently. In GA, I've been in courts where your very first appearance pits you against the police officer in front of the judge.

Today the court I went to held a pre-trial (no officer present) hearing where I had 3 plea options:

Guilty
Not Guilty (sets up the bench trial)
Pre-trial (allows you to talk one on one with the judge to review the charges and possibly get a reduced fine)

Either way, if your record is clean the judge will most likely reduce or eliminate the points. If you are REALLY lucky the fine will get reduced. Best thing to do is call the courthouse and speak with the clerk. That person can tell you what to expect. Good Luck!
In Mass. your first appearance is always in front of a magistrate (no cop present) where there's one officer who just reads the charges and you try to make your point to the magistrate. Of course, 95% of the time all you're going to get is either an offer of reduced fine or a plain 'responsible' verdict. At this point you tell them that you would like to appeal, pay $20 and then you will get a letter telling you when the hearing is scheduled for. This may take anywhere from a few months to a year. The original cop has to be at the appeal hearing. If he doesn't show up, you automatically get your ticket dismissed.

In my driving history (34 years) I have had five tickets. Two were won at the magistrate (I had compelling photographic evidence about signs that were supposedly there but, in fact, were not), two were dismissed at the appeal hearing when the original cops did not show up, and one was won at the appeal when I made the cop change his story and got the judge to dismiss based on the "incompetent witness." That one felt great and it's truly one for the ages.

Anyway, moral of the story, always appeal your tickets.
Old 11-11-2009 | 09:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

Originally Posted by sundell' post='1052368' date='Nov 11 2009, 11:03 AM
just talked to geico and they said my rates wont go up since i have a perfect record. the customer service rep (who was also from NYC) said she has gone to court many times and they would automatically reduce it to no points if you show up. so now i dont want to pay the mandatory surcharge ($300) from DMV.
will keep you all posted.
I am not sure you are getting accurate advice from the Geico rep. Even if the points do not have an immediate impact on your rate, they will certainly be considered next time you go to renew. And what happens if you get more points between now and then. And they most definitely will not "automatically" reduce it to no points if you show up. If you plead not guilty and show up at court, the prosecutor will confer with the cop to determine what they are willing to plead it down to. Sometimes they will give you a no point ticket with a fine (illegal parking on the side of the road), but sometime the will only reduce the number of points by reducing the speed.