Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

NYC speeding ticket advice please

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009 | 10:17 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 545i

i havent gotten a speeding ticket in over 10 years. i was on a desserted stretch of road in queens this morning and got clocked doing 56 in a 30 zone....$200 ticket. ouch. my fault, im not gonna blame the cop, he was just doing his job. though he did check my record and agreed it was spotless, he coudve given me a break...its my birthday in a few days for petes sake!!!!

my main concern is insurance, i would hate to have my rates go up. i just took a defensive driving course a few weeks ago, just to lower my premiums. the last time i got a ticket many many moons ago i just manned up and paid the ticket and watched my insurance shoot through the roof.

any advice for NYC? does hiring a lawyer help? if so, how much do they typically charge? can i plead not guilty, show up in court myself and admit i was wrong but tell the judge i have a spotless record? i dont want the ticket dismissed, i dont mind paying the $200, i just dont want it to show up on my insurance. can i get it reduced to something else?

any help would be appreciated. thanks.
Old 11-10-2009 | 10:23 AM
Contributors

see if there is any articles to keep it off the insurance. in louisiana its article 894, it can be used only once for first time offence. The violation goes on a court record but the ins co does not know about it. hope this helps.
Old 11-10-2009 | 10:35 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sundell' post='1051785' date='Nov 10 2009, 03:17 PM
i havent gotten a speeding ticket in over 10 years. i was on a desserted stretch of road in queens this morning and got clocked doing 56 in a 30 zone....$200 ticket. ouch. my fault, im not gonna blame the cop, he was just doing his job. though he did check my record and agreed it was spotless, he coudve given me a break...its my birthday in a few days for petes sake!!!!

my main concern is insurance, i would hate to have my rates go up. i just took a defensive driving course a few weeks ago, just to lower my premiums. the last time i got a ticket many many moons ago i just manned up and paid the ticket and watched my insurance shoot through the roof.

any advice for NYC? does hiring a lawyer help? if so, how much do they typically charge? can i plead not guilty, show up in court myself and admit i was wrong but tell the judge i have a spotless record? i dont want the ticket dismissed, i dont mind paying the $200, i just dont want it to show up on my insurance. can i get it reduced to something else?

any help would be appreciated. thanks.
Congratulations for manning up. Not many people do that.

Good example for all of us.
Old 11-10-2009 | 10:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Driving school? Then it won't show up on your record.
Old 11-10-2009 | 10:54 AM
Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc' post='1051814' date='Nov 10 2009, 02:49 PM
Driving school? Then it won't show up on your record.
i took an online defensive driving course a few weeks ago, im assuming thats the same thing as driving school. i told the cop and he said the course didnt show up on my records yet.
Old 11-10-2009 | 11:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

wish i could help. i got a ticket about 3 or 4 years ago for making a turn where i shouldnt have.. whatever- the sign was new.. bastard gave me a ticket too, moving violation, i got points, but i dont remember anything ever happening to my insurance.. i went to court, paid the fine which got reduced and that was that.i dont even know if the points are still there...
Old 11-10-2009 | 11:12 AM
Members

Originally Posted by melimel' post='1051825' date='Nov 10 2009, 03:04 PM
i went to court, paid the fine which got reduced and that was that.i dont even know if the points are still there...
all you did was show up to court and they offered you a reduced fine? were you required to show up in court or did you plea 'not guilty' on your ticket, mail it in, and then wait for your court date. did you have to plea your case before the judge?

the road in question is completely desserted, between two cemetaries under the BQE!!!, but a few months ago 3 kids were killed there cause they were speeding at 3am, lost control and crashed into the support columns, so now they have cops posted there from time to time handing out tickets to everyone is what the cop told me.

apologies for all the questions, what ive done in the past is just mail the ticket in with a check, which i now know is the dumbest thing to do.
Old 11-10-2009 | 12:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by sundell' post='1051816' date='Nov 10 2009, 11:54 AM
i took an online defensive driving course a few weeks ago, im assuming thats the same thing as driving school. i told the cop and he said the course didnt show up on my records yet.
I am assuming that this defensive driving course was voluntary, and you took it to be a better driver (and lower your insurance). Driving school for traffic offense is not the same as the defensive driving course.
Old 11-10-2009 | 12:47 PM
Members

i just found out that if u get 6 points on your license in 18 months (which is anything > 20 mph over the limit) and DMV sends you a $100 fine every year for the next 3 years. f#ck me!
Old 11-10-2009 | 01:54 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

What a coincidence - I was in traffic court today for a speeding ticket I got awhile back.

Depending on the county/municpality things could work out differently. In GA, I've been in courts where your very first appearance pits you against the police officer in front of the judge.

Today the court I went to held a pre-trial (no officer present) hearing where I had 3 plea options:

Guilty
Not Guilty (sets up the bench trial)
Pre-trial (allows you to talk one on one with the judge to review the charges and possibly get a reduced fine)

Either way, if your record is clean the judge will most likely reduce or eliminate the points. If you are REALLY lucky the fine will get reduced. Best thing to do is call the courthouse and speak with the clerk. That person can tell you what to expect. Good Luck!

Quick Reply: NYC speeding ticket advice please