Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

NFL Playoff Time Again...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Thanks man! We sure are having some fun watching Ben develop this year. He was amazing last year as a rookie but for a 23 year old, he's matured tremendously and is playing like a much older and wiser quarterback...
Old 01-16-2006, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='224846' date='Jan 16 2006, 05:21 AM
Did anyone else think the officiating was horrendous today? That interception + fumble + recovery by Troy Polamalu that was reversed was just stupid...
I have been watching the game on TV and I can't see where the officials made mistakes. Sorry Rudy. To me it all looked correct. And that reversed INT FUM REC... The moment it was whistled dead I knew it wasn't an INT.
Anyways, this is a great victory... and it's even bigger for Jerome Bettis.

Congrats!
Old 01-16-2006, 04:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i Silver Gray/Black, Sport, Prem., Logic 7, Cold Weather, Auto, M Aero package, Nav, Comfort Seats, IPod aux

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='224936' date='Jan 16 2006, 09:30 AM
Thanks man! We sure are having some fun watching Ben develop this year. He was amazing last year as a rookie but for a 23 year old, he's matured tremendously and is playing like a much older and wiser quarterback...

Rudy--- I'm still pulling for a Steelers/Panthers SuperBowl!!!!

Old 01-16-2006, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='225172
Did anyone else think the officiating was horrendous today? That interception + fumble + recovery by Troy Polamalu that was reversed was just stupid...
I have been watching the game on TV and I can't see where the officials made mistakes. Sorry Rudy. To me it all looked correct. And that reversed INT FUM REC... The moment it was whistled dead I knew it wasn't an INT.

Congrats!
[/quote]
Sorry Iceman, you and the ref are the only ones with that (incorrect) perspective on the play...just about everyone on television and radio today (not just local stuff, I'm talking things like ESPN, etc.) said it should have been an interception and a fumble with a recovery. Besides, it wasn't whistled dead, it was whistled an interception on the field. It was Dungy's challenge that overturned the call on the field...

Still, not satisfied? I guess you'll just have to take the NFL's word for it then:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06016/639045.stm
http://www.superbowl.com/news/story/9168866

Thankfully, it didn't affect the outcome of the game! Thanks for the good wishes -- keep rooting for us to beat Jake #1 (Plummer) and maybe we'll be playing against Jake #2 (Delhomme) in the Super Bowl...
Old 01-17-2006, 02:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='225230
Originally Posted by Rudy' post='224846' date='Jan 16 2006, 05:21 AM

Congrats!
Sorry Iceman, you and the ref are the only ones with that (incorrect) perspective on the play...just about everyone on television and radio today (not just local stuff, I'm talking things like ESPN, etc.) said it should have been an interception and a fumble with a recovery. Besides, it wasn't whistled dead, it was whistled an interception on the field. It was Dungy's challenge that overturned the call on the field...

Still, not satisfied? I guess you'll just have to take the NFL's word for it then:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06016/639045.stm
http://www.superbowl.com/news/story/9168866

Thankfully, it didn't affect the outcome of the game! Thanks for the good wishes -- keep rooting for us to beat Jake #1 (Plummer) and maybe we'll be playing against Jake #2 (Delhomme) in the Super Bowl...
[/quote]

Yeah, and how about that guy in Pittsburgh who had a heart attack when Bettis fumbled? When I heard about that my mind conjured up those old SNL skits of the fat Chicago Bears fans sitting around talking about Ditka and eating piles of meat. I remembered on one of the skits Chris Farley's character had a heart attack and beat his chest until his heart started back up.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='225230' date='Jan 17 2006, 03:56 AM
Well, the TV commentators (US) had the same "incorrect" perspective on the play in question. And I remember reading about something like this somewhere in the rule book. But I am too lazy to search for it, and it wouldn't change anything. In the end, the RIGHT team won, and that's what counts!
Old 01-17-2006, 04:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='225680
Well, the TV commentators (US) had the same "incorrect" perspective on the play in question. And I remember reading about something like this somewhere in the rule book. But I am too lazy to search for it, and it wouldn't change anything. In the end, the RIGHT team won, and that's what counts!
[/quote]

The NFL came out Monday (a US holiday - so you know it was serious) to announce that an error had been made during the call you and Rudy are discussing. Rudy's links said as much. There really isn't a question anymore, the NFL has spoken and provided the definitive word. The NFL did not have to comment at all, let alone so promptly on a national holiday. It would only do so to correct what it also considered to be an eggregious error. It was an interception, a fumble, and a recovery. All by the same player.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

I wonder how the NFL would have reacted if the bad call would have affected the outcome of the game? Something tells me they may not have admitted to the error so quickly if Indy would have won.

Thankfully, as Iceman said, the right team won -- even the Colts are saying the better team won and that the Steelers earned/deserved to win.

As for the US commentators, I'll have to go back and watch it but I thought Dan Dierdorf was pretty adamant about it being an interception and when the ref overturned it, I thought he said something in disbelief like "well, the referee's opinion is the only one that counts." Who were the commentators that you got to see Iceman? Were they the CBS ones (Dick Enberg and Dan Dierdorf) that we saw over here?
Old 01-17-2006, 08:37 PM
Senior Members

Hey Rudy.......I'm rooting for the Steelers now. Troy Pulamalatofu is fun to watch.

I think your team has a real good shot. I loved seeing Manning get his arse handed to em. If the Pats had won their game my prediction of a rematch would have come true. At Foxboro no less. Oh well we'll be in the mix again next year............

Go Steelers!
Old 01-17-2006, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks jtxc. Yeah, Troy is an tremendous athlete -- he's seems to be everywhere all at the same time. No matter where the ball goes, he seems to be on it within a second. He (usually) plays clean and plays the game with great discipline (except for a short, uncharacteristic moment a couple weeks ago against Cincinnati where he lost it and took a penalty.)

I've not met him personally but everyone who knows him says he's the nicest guy off the field and that you'd never know he's a pro football player if you met him on the street.

He's a lot of fun to watch and I'm sure glad he's on our team!

NFL Playoff Time Again...-20060116mf_polamalu_taylor_fbnpj_450.jpg

NFL Playoff Time Again...-20060117pd_polamalu_int_reax_fbnpj_450.jpg

Here we go Steelers, here we go!

Quick Reply: NFL Playoff Time Again...