Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

New macbooks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 10:53 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 530d XDrive M Sport

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='697777' date='Oct 21 2008, 12:05 AM
ya I dont know why mac book price is higher when it gose out of the US, Like HK if they keep the price same as pc then I think they will sell more.
BUT in asia itis very hard to sell mac cos of the copy software that ppl can not get.
And the Macbooks are made in Asia!
Old 10-20-2008, 10:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 530d XDrive M Sport

In Korea, Macs are known purely has machines used in graphic design, music, video and photography. Because of the saturation of ActiveX in programming and web design, PCs are the default computers in this country. When I surf the net on Korean sites, I can't use my Mac...
Old 10-20-2008, 03:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='697994' date='Oct 20 2008, 02:34 PM
Well i don't quite agree with you man. I mean i found that with the iphone apple has really made a step further and brought mobile phones a step forward into the future. Now when i look at my normal smartphone SE P1i or even a blackberry it seems odd to have so many buttons and frankly so many functions that are used only a few times per year. Don't get me wrong, i'm not getting defensive here with apple, nor i'm trying to convince anyone anymore about my beliefs but i seem to find in the crippled (as in functions) iphone exactly what i wanted in a phone.

Ease of access, fast and stable OS (unlike Windows Mobile and especially Symbian) and a really great intuitive almost organic connection with the phone.

Someone asked me after i bought my iphone 3g if i would think it lacks something or if it needed to be improved. I said yes! For sure there are lots of things to imrove, like adress the copy paste issue, address the bluetooth issue (virtaully useless now) and other minor things like saving youtube videos etc etc. but for now for me it's just a very solid phone that still has room for improvement, but it's a phone and a nice gadget at the same time. I mean why would anyone pay for a super packed phone like the N95 and use the features only at 70% and when used at 100% having the batterl last 2 hours is beyond my understanding but to each of it's own.

I found out in the end that i don't really need copy paste that badly, nor do i bluetooth anything more often than 2-3 times per year, nor do i need videocalling since most of the people don't use it. In fact i had until now all my phone equipped with front and back cameras for videocalling and i only did it for 2 minutes once to see what's what and that was it.
As for camera, i wouldn't even really need the current one, let alone video recording and other stuff. I had even 5MP cell phone cameras and it still sucks compared to a 3 MP compact proper photo camera. When i see people taking pics with their expensive phones at concerts or any kind of events (5 MP and even more) i really feel pitty for them. It's like having a powerfull SUV and packed with extras but throw it on some twisties thinking that's fast.

Anyway back to apple macbook. I really think there is NO need now for Blur Ray support. NOT YET! I mean i dunno how much it hit US but here bluray is still a very expensive and rather useless technology. I mean a blak bluray costs here around 20 $ when for the same money you can get 50 DVDs. If total space wise there is no comparison one might ask aaah but what about the big 1080p formats ?! Well since the players here are still very expensive (1000$ +) the only option is to buy PC or laptop equipped with blu ray players/writer which cost less now, but what's the point in that if you're not likely to pay 1000$ for a player. Most people, myself included, prefere to hook up their laptops/PCs to the widescreen cinema display at home via HDMI and enjoy 1080p videos easy, efortlessly and cheap.

So bottom line is, until the blu ray standard drops in price to a more affordable level it will not really be needed. The same happened with the CDs and the DVDs at first, although not at the same degree. Also the technology itself needs to improve alot. I mean once (and i stress ONLY ONCE) when i burned a Blu Ray i almost fell asleep. Burning 25Gigs at 4x was just painful.

And apple, from what i saw, did innovate. I mean aren't they the first to bring this unibody enclosure? Sitting down now, and writing this reply on my Vaio SZ, although it is considered as a premium notebook, having a carbon fiber chassis, i'm telling you when i first held a macbook air i was amazed of how rigid and solid it felt, with little flex and no creaks and sqeaks due to the minimal use of chassis components. AND yet is was so light and thin i could hardly believe it.

Also weren't they the ones that brought backlit keyboards to notebooks? Plus from what i read i understood they hold the patent for the hdd drive shock sensor.

So IMO they do bring alot of innovation and most of it pays off. The same can be said about the huge success of the ipods and now iphone. I like the way they think: "We consider the iphone a great product but obviously the customer will be the one to decide on that, but in the end we truly believe in the iphone just as be believed in the ipod. If the customer will reject it, that's it...too bad, but we think it's a great product"

We'll have to agree to disagree. I see the iPhone (and other Apple products) as bringing advanced "techie" functionality to the masses - folks who don't quite understand how to wring the capabilities out of the hardware they buy. I had been doing much more with my WM devices years before the iPhone came out. There are still things that iPhone can't do that my WM6 device does quite easily (btw, WM 6.1 is rock-solid stable). The maddening thing is that Apple -could- make these capabilities available, they're just spoon-feeding the masses. That's the point of the graphic I put in my post. They get to decide what Apple users consume, what features they get to use. Shrug. If you're ok with that, then I'm happy for you. I can't subject myself to it - my company would have paid for an iPhone for me, I turned it down. The next year or so should be very interesting. I think Android is going to mop the floor with the iPhone and its closed system.

As for BluRay, I suppose the economies of it are different in the US than in Romania, but here I think it's time for BluRay in my computer hardware. I'm sure Sony isn't making it cheap enough for Apple - I'm sure they'd love to do it, but the cost is probably eating too much of their princely margins.

I'm pretty sure IBM has the patent on drive shock stuff, but we could be talking about different mechanisms. The fetid spec called Firewire is definitely Apple's abortion of an innovation... possibly the biggest and most persistent security hole in the last 10 years.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='698001' date='Oct 21 2008, 02:40 AM
You're the expert man so if you say so...
God forbid to get a blue screen while doing some long renderings

Off topic: Take a look at this
I never had a blue screen for over 5 years now in the office and home.
maybe because they are all dell computer and are very stable
the trick not to get a blue screen is, don`t install aload of crap from the internet and other 3rd party software.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:09 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='698366' date='Oct 20 2008, 05:01 PM
I never had a blue screen for over 5 years now in the office and home.
maybe because they are all dell computer and are very stable
Dell!? Ha! I've been so disappointed with their stuff in recent years. It used to be that Dell made good and bad computers and you got what you paid for. Now, I'm not so sure anymore and only their rack mounted stuff is worth anything. Just my opinion.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:38 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='698409' date='Oct 21 2008, 09:09 AM
Dell!? Ha! I've been so disappointed with their stuff in recent years. It used to be that Dell made good and bad computers and you got what you paid for. Now, I'm not so sure anymore and only their rack mounted stuff is worth anything. Just my opinion.
I like dell cos they have very good servise and they come next day to the office to change the parts if they brake down, not need to fix, just change.
also dell is same as DIY PC so I can do any mod with the machines.
1 think bad about them is I can not over clock the pc.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

this is turning into something like an MB vs BMW discussion....
Old 10-20-2008, 06:20 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='698453' date='Oct 21 2008, 09:42 AM
this is turning into something like an MB vs BMW discussion....
yep it will be all the same.
MB vs BMW
Canon vs Nikon
Honda vs Toyota
Old 10-20-2008, 09:47 PM
Contributors

this xbox360 mac G4 I like.
Attached Thumbnails New macbooks?-xboxg4_image057.jpg   New macbooks?-xboxg4_image059.jpg   New macbooks?-xboxg4_image061.jpg   New macbooks?-xboxg4_image063.jpg   New macbooks?-xboxg4_image065.jpg  

New macbooks?-xboxg4_image067.jpg   New macbooks?-xboxg4_image069.jpg   New macbooks?-xboxg4_image071.jpg  
Old 10-21-2008, 12:30 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='698355' date='Oct 21 2008, 02:37 AM
We'll have to agree to disagree. I see the iPhone (and other Apple products) as bringing advanced "techie" functionality to the masses - folks who don't quite understand how to wring the capabilities out of the hardware they buy. I had been doing much more with my WM devices years before the iPhone came out. There are still things that iPhone can't do that my WM6 device does quite easily (btw, WM 6.1 is rock-solid stable). The maddening thing is that Apple -could- make these capabilities available, they're just spoon-feeding the masses. That's the point of the graphic I put in my post. They get to decide what Apple users consume, what features they get to use. Shrug. If you're ok with that, then I'm happy for you. I can't subject myself to it - my company would have paid for an iPhone for me, I turned it down. The next year or so should be very interesting. I think Android is going to mop the floor with the iPhone and its closed system.

As for BluRay, I suppose the economies of it are different in the US than in Romania, but here I think it's time for BluRay in my computer hardware. I'm sure Sony isn't making it cheap enough for Apple - I'm sure they'd love to do it, but the cost is probably eating too much of their princely margins.

I'm pretty sure IBM has the patent on drive shock stuff, but we could be talking about different mechanisms. The fetid spec called Firewire is definitely Apple's abortion of an innovation... possibly the biggest and most persistent security hole in the last 10 years.
Maybe Apple decided to really be careful about their product as it is. I mean i prefer 100% a faster more stable product than a more complex and prone to failure product. The same could be said about the N95 and even WM 6.1 devices, be it HTC or whatever. I could simply not navigate faster, easier with other devices. But as i said to each of it's own. Taste is something too subjective.

About Blu Ray yes i think that's the major difference. Although i don't understand how can a Blu Ray disc cost 50 times more than a DVD. I mean what it has traces of gold in it?? Fifty times more than a DVD and it's virtually the same technology in it. Ok if the writer would cost lots more but the medium has no excuse for the ridiculous high price. At the beginning i thought it was a result of the Blu Ray vs HD DVD war but now that the war is over i expected the price to drop but that's not the case. So i assume this will not be widely (international) spread until it drops alot in price.

About firewire, i tthought that was a Sony thing. If you are refering to the connection type the rivals USB then i don't understand where the security hole comes from.