Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

New macbooks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 02:00 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='697627' date='Oct 20 2008, 05:47 PM
Why can't you use 3DS or maya? Boot camp?!?

ON TOPIC: I dig the new macbooks alot. Seen the presentations and all the possible pics. Like the new SSD 128 GB and the upgraded graphics BUT i had to settle for an iMac. As a newbie to apple i choose an iMac 3.06 Ghzm 8800 GS graphics and 1TB hdd. No money right now for a new laptop and besides that i still rely on my Sony Vaio SZ-4XN that cost me a fortune with extended battery and premium leather carrying case.

Maybe for Xmas i'll go for an MBA since it also got upgraded (9400M graphics AND 128 GB SSD).

PS: Did some tests with an MacBook Air with 64 GB SSD (1.8 GHz CPU) and an iMac 2.8 GHz and i was amaized to see the iMac booting slithly quicker than the SSD MBA. Run it twice, cuz i thought no way the MBA with SSD to be slower at boot time than the iMac.

Now i'm sold to Apple. Soon to replace my rig with the iMac (for work) i only got to get a macbook to be apple 100% (PS: got the iphone 3g also )

PSS: PC & windows = crap (except for hardcore gaming). My current rig (that will go home after i swap with the iMac) is a Intel quad core extreme QX9700 3.2 Ghz, Nvidia quad SLI 9800 GX2, 2 x Velociraptor 10 000 rpm HDD, 2 x Samsung 1 TB hdd, 4 GB DDR3 1800 MHZ ram AND nvidia 790i ultra motherboard. Guess what?! This custom rig cost me an arm and a leg and the iMac "runs circles" around it. I was like WTF!?!?!
tryed it way too slow and I use alot of plugins too.
also mac dont have a good 3D display card
Old 10-20-2008, 02:15 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='697629' date='Oct 20 2008, 01:00 PM
tryed it way too slow and I use alot of plugins too.
also mac dont have a good 3D display card
for heavy rendering i assume a mac pro would suit you?! with the nvidia quadro fx designed specially for those kind of activities (1.5 GB or video memory)

On the same sidenot i've seen lots of studios and video editors using mac pros. Although they are considered the best/fastest and most stable they cost indeed (mac pro) a fortune. I mean 3000 $ for that nvidia card is just crazy. But i assume it pays off for a rather large company.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:40 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='697631' date='Oct 20 2008, 06:15 PM
for heavy rendering i assume a mac pro would suit you?! with the nvidia quadro fx designed specially for those kind of activities (1.5 GB or video memory)

On the same sidenot i've seen lots of studios and video editors using mac pros. Although they are considered the best/fastest and most stable they cost indeed (mac pro) a fortune. I mean 3000 $ for that nvidia card is just crazy. But i assume it pays off for a rather large company.
work I have 2 Intel Xeon E5410A 2.33G 1333FSB,12M,LGA771, quadro fx1700, 8gb of ram, 500gb HDD and it all cost about $1800.
itis better to have many computer for rendering than just 1 mac pro.
For 3D rending you need at lest 5 computer, 4 to render and 1 to work on.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 530d XDrive M Sport

Originally Posted by BigMike' post='697567' date='Oct 20 2008, 03:02 PM
SSD--nice!!!! I'm waiting for them to come out here in Taiwan to get a MacBook (no SSD ). They're saying November so I've got a little wait ahead of me.
SSD for Macbooks is coming to Asia. It's just going to take a bit longer than North America.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:50 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames' post='697543' date='Oct 20 2008, 02:15 PM
if you're talking about the pics posted in this thread - they're pics of the new Sony...
The new Macbooks and the Macbook Pros have black screen bezels and black keyboards.
Attached Thumbnails New macbooks?-overview_gallery3_20081014.jpg   New macbooks?-overview_gallery2_20081014.jpg   New macbooks?-overview_gallery3_20081014_1.jpg   New macbooks?-overview_gallery2_20081014_1.jpg  
Old 10-20-2008, 05:54 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames' post='697539' date='Oct 20 2008, 02:09 PM
Properly compare specs with the competition, and you'll find that the Mac notebooks aren't overpriced. Just better looking, nicer to use, more reliable, better supported and able to run just about any OS and software you care to throw at it.
Prices in North America are much more in line with PC based laptops. In Korea, the Macbook and Macbook Pro costs about 30% to 40% more than 'comparable' PC based laptops.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

New Nvidia chipset = VERY GOOD!

No BluRay = BAD!

Apple needs to pony up and pay Sony for BluRay. I don't think they can keep offering "newness" without it.

Also, I'm really laughing at Jobs' response to netbooks. He basically dismissed them saying that the space is too new and not formed up... which is total BS. Even if it were... it's a tacit admission that Apple doesn't innovate (something we all know already). An Apple netbook would cannibalize their laptop revenues terribly, but it's sad that they're unwilling to take the opportunity to innovate and give people what they want.

Same thing happens with the iPhone...

Old 10-20-2008, 07:05 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by seoulman' post='697721' date='Oct 20 2008, 09:54 PM
Prices in North America are much more in line with PC based laptops. In Korea, the Macbook and Macbook Pro costs about 30% to 40% more than 'comparable' PC based laptops.
ya I dont know why mac book price is higher when it gose out of the US, Like HK if they keep the price same as pc then I think they will sell more.
BUT in asia itis very hard to sell mac cos of the copy software that ppl can not get.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='697733' date='Oct 20 2008, 05:11 PM
New Nvidia chipset = VERY GOOD!

No BluRay = BAD!

Apple needs to pony up and pay Sony for BluRay. I don't think they can keep offering "newness" without it.

Also, I'm really laughing at Jobs' response to netbooks. He basically dismissed them saying that the space is too new and not formed up... which is total BS. Even if it were... it's a tacit admission that Apple doesn't innovate (something we all know already). An Apple netbook would cannibalize their laptop revenues terribly, but it's sad that they're unwilling to take the opportunity to innovate and give people what they want.

Same thing happens with the iPhone...

Well i don't quite agree with you man. I mean i found that with the iphone apple has really made a step further and brought mobile phones a step forward into the future. Now when i look at my normal smartphone SE P1i or even a blackberry it seems odd to have so many buttons and frankly so many functions that are used only a few times per year. Don't get me wrong, i'm not getting defensive here with apple, nor i'm trying to convince anyone anymore about my beliefs but i seem to find in the crippled (as in functions) iphone exactly what i wanted in a phone.

Ease of access, fast and stable OS (unlike Windows Mobile and especially Symbian) and a really great intuitive almost organic connection with the phone.

Someone asked me after i bought my iphone 3g if i would think it lacks something or if it needed to be improved. I said yes! For sure there are lots of things to imrove, like adress the copy paste issue, address the bluetooth issue (virtaully useless now) and other minor things like saving youtube videos etc etc. but for now for me it's just a very solid phone that still has room for improvement, but it's a phone and a nice gadget at the same time. I mean why would anyone pay for a super packed phone like the N95 and use the features only at 70% and when used at 100% having the batterl last 2 hours is beyond my understanding but to each of it's own.

I found out in the end that i don't really need copy paste that badly, nor do i bluetooth anything more often than 2-3 times per year, nor do i need videocalling since most of the people don't use it. In fact i had until now all my phone equipped with front and back cameras for videocalling and i only did it for 2 minutes once to see what's what and that was it.
As for camera, i wouldn't even really need the current one, let alone video recording and other stuff. I had even 5MP cell phone cameras and it still sucks compared to a 3 MP compact proper photo camera. When i see people taking pics with their expensive phones at concerts or any kind of events (5 MP and even more) i really feel pitty for them. It's like having a powerfull SUV and packed with extras but throw it on some twisties thinking that's fast.

Anyway back to apple macbook. I really think there is NO need now for Blur Ray support. NOT YET! I mean i dunno how much it hit US but here bluray is still a very expensive and rather useless technology. I mean a blak bluray costs here around 20 $ when for the same money you can get 50 DVDs. If total space wise there is no comparison one might ask aaah but what about the big 1080p formats ?! Well since the players here are still very expensive (1000$ +) the only option is to buy PC or laptop equipped with blu ray players/writer which cost less now, but what's the point in that if you're not likely to pay 1000$ for a player. Most people, myself included, prefere to hook up their laptops/PCs to the widescreen cinema display at home via HDMI and enjoy 1080p videos easy, efortlessly and cheap.

So bottom line is, until the blu ray standard drops in price to a more affordable level it will not really be needed. The same happened with the CDs and the DVDs at first, although not at the same degree. Also the technology itself needs to improve alot. I mean once (and i stress ONLY ONCE) when i burned a Blu Ray i almost fell asleep. Burning 25Gigs at 4x was just painful.

And apple, from what i saw, did innovate. I mean aren't they the first to bring this unibody enclosure? Sitting down now, and writing this reply on my Vaio SZ, although it is considered as a premium notebook, having a carbon fiber chassis, i'm telling you when i first held a macbook air i was amazed of how rigid and solid it felt, with little flex and no creaks and sqeaks due to the minimal use of chassis components. AND yet is was so light and thin i could hardly believe it.

Also weren't they the ones that brought backlit keyboards to notebooks? Plus from what i read i understood they hold the patent for the hdd drive shock sensor.

So IMO they do bring alot of innovation and most of it pays off. The same can be said about the huge success of the ipods and now iphone. I like the way they think: "We consider the iphone a great product but obviously the customer will be the one to decide on that, but in the end we truly believe in the iphone just as be believed in the ipod. If the customer will reject it, that's it...too bad, but we think it's a great product"
Old 10-20-2008, 10:40 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='697711' date='Oct 20 2008, 04:40 PM
work I have 2 Intel Xeon E5410A 2.33G 1333FSB,12M,LGA771, quadro fx1700, 8gb of ram, 500gb HDD and it all cost about $1800.
itis better to have many computer for rendering than just 1 mac pro.
For 3D rending you need at lest 5 computer, 4 to render and 1 to work on.
You're the expert man so if you say so...
God forbid to get a blue screen while doing some long renderings

Off topic: Take a look at this