Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

LCD or PLASMA

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 06:22 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by 700700' post='381446' date='Jan 21 2007, 09:29 PM
Seems about right... nevertheless as you state the state of AV sources has not caught up to the possibilities offered by 7th/8th gen tellys. Alhtough the Pionner plasma can display up to 6 billion colours i do not see the point, since HDMI 1.2b can only carry 32bit colour (right?), and the plasma has to rely on interpolation to display more colours than are currently carried in the source.

As for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD , i may have got my info wrong... from what i understood is that HDMI 1.2 can carry the signals in the digital domain only (and should have enough bandwith), and HDMI can carry the split streams to make your AV processor's life easier.

Could you please point me to any links of AV receivers that will support Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD , as i though they were at least a year off...

Dont get me wrong, the wait for next gen player formats and surround sound processors is worth it, but for tellys i dont see the point. Technically speaking the only HDMI1.3 compliant source (PS3) , cannot pass deep colour or Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD, and *hopefully* these will be added eventually.

As for me im sticking with my SXRD, and getting a Blu-ray player and a next gen processor to benefit from HD radio.

You're right - 1.2b can't carry that color information, which was why I was saying 1.3 was an interesting evolution of the standard. It -can- match current panels, and in time, sources will catch up. Again, back to my earlier statements, waiting until spring or summer will give the market time to get the 1.3 models into the supply chain.

You're correct - multi-channel LPCM is in fact digital over HDMI. I was thinking analog and posted some bad info saying it was not in the digital domain. However, my point about the receiver not being able to surround process the multichannel PCM remains true for -most receivers-. Only certain ones can perform surround processing on multichannel PCM that comes from the HDMI. Most will do bass management, but not all. That would mean the player would need to have all the necessary level adjustments and time alignment. Most have some rudimentary settings, but for all but the most expensive players - the settings aren't granular enough to get you properly calibrated surround audio. Mind you, I'm not saying the new formats won't work on analog or older HDMI. They will work with certain combinations of components, but selecting the proper equipment will be much more difficult. Assuming basic compatibility, the sound will come out of the correct speakers as the format encoding intended, but the most critical aspect of surround and multi-channel audio is calbration. Without getting that exactly right, it won't sound that great.

SXRD is great, and it probably won't benefit much from 1.3 until Sony implements its laser backlighting system (something Sony showed at CES). Like you, I'm personally not worried about what I already own - but for what I plan to purchase... for TVs that I plan to replace, I think it makes sense to consider the near-future landscape.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:34 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='381470' date='Jan 22 2007, 03:22 AM
You're right - 1.2b can't, which was why I was saying 1.3 was an interesting evolution of the standard. It -can- match current panels, and in time, sources will catch up. Again, back to my earlier statements, waiting until spring or summer will give the market time to get the 1.3 models into the supply chain.
You're correct - multi-channel LPCM is in fact digital over HDMI. I was thinking analog and posted some bad info saying it was not in the digital domain. However, my point about the receiver not being able to surround process the multichannel PCM remains true for -most receivers-. Only certain ones can perform surround processing on multichannel PCM that comes from the HDMI. Most will do bass management, but not all. That would mean the player would need to have all the necessary level adjustments and time alignment. Most have some rudimentary settings, but for all but the most expensive players - the settings aren't granular enough to get you properly calibrated surround audio. Mind you, I'm not saying the new formats won't work on analog or older HDMI. They will work with certain combinations of components, but selecting the proper equipment will be much more difficult. Assuming basic compatibility, the sound will come out of the correct speakers as the format encoding intended, but the most critical aspect of surround and multi-channel audio is calbration. Without getting that exactly right, it won't sound that great.

SXRD is great, and it probably won't benefit much from 1.3 until Sony implements its laser backlighting system (something Sony showed at CES). Like you, I'm personally not worried about what I already own - but for what I plan to purchase... for TVs that I plan to replace, I think it makes sense to consider the near-future landscape.
Good stuff... a bit OT , but i personally trust setups that have self-correcting adjustments (using a high sensitivity microphone) instead of relying on people to adjust my audio... And thats why im looking forward to Meridian's interpretation to next gen audio decoding
Old 01-21-2007, 06:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Why is it that everything in Europe is released after it's released in the US market? It would seem that it would make more sense to release the same model, worldwide to generate more revenue. Even if these companies wanted to spread the revenue out over their fiscal years to meet their quarterly numbers by having different release dates for each country, by the time they do that, the first country already has the next best model and the rest of the world now wants that model.

And for you guys in EU that pay twice as much for an E60 as we do here in the US, that is just nuts. I couldn't imagine paying over $100K for my car. With the US dollar sucking wind, it's too bad BMW doesn't have a "UD" (US Delivery...hahaha) of our car. That would be quite a bargain for you.

All you EU owners should move over here to the US. We'll have a big party with our cars and our tv's.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Here's a question that's still up for debate in the AV world. Do you go with HDMI or Component Video/Audio? Some of the high-end home theater shops here in the US go both ways. It's an interesting debate. The only reason I prefer HDMI is that it's one cable and easy.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:55 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cmansbimmer' post='381486' date='Jan 22 2007, 03:53 AM
Here's a question that's still up for debate in the AV world. Do you go with HDMI or Component Video/Audio? Some of the high-end home theater shops here in the US go both ways. It's an interesting debate. The only reason I prefer HDMI is that it's one cable and easy.
HDCP = only for HDMI... so unfortunately not much choice

Unless you buy Primare and ... shhh i cant tell
Old 01-21-2007, 07:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by 700700' post='381487' date='Jan 21 2007, 10:55 PM
HDCP = only for HDMI... so unfortunately not much choice
Unless you buy Primare and ... shhh i cant tell

DVI chipsets can have HDCP as well, although not all DVI interfaces are HDCP. Like 700700 says, all HDMI are HDCP enabled.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:24 PM
Contributors

And do you guys bi-wire your speakers? I recently got all the Paradigm Reference speakers for my home theater. I broke the bank on this purchase, but it was well worth it. However, I've yet to Bi-Wire the speakers. Is it worth it to go this route? And if so, did you buy Bi-Wire cable? One place quoted me almost $25 a foot for this stuff!!! I've heard that some bi-wire cable for a few meters can cost in the hundreds of dollars. That's nuts!
Old 01-21-2007, 07:24 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='381498' date='Jan 22 2007, 04:16 AM
DVI chipsets can have HDCP as well, although not all DVI interfaces are HDCP. Like 700700 says, all HDMI are HDCP enabled.
yes Primare uses DVI and although not compatible with HDCP, they can play copy protected content
Old 01-21-2007, 07:27 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cmansbimmer' post='381503' date='Jan 22 2007, 04:24 AM
And do you guys bi-wire your speakers? I recently got all the Paradigm Reference speakers for my home theater. I broke the bank on this purchase, but it was well worth it. However, I've yet to Bi-Wire the speakers. Is it worth it to go this route? And if so, did you buy Bi-Wire cable? One place quoted me almost $25 a foot for this stuff!!!
Sorry my english was always sketchy on this : you use bi-wiring to refer to driving each tweeter by a separate monoblock amplifier or what? if this is what you mean, then no. As for cables, i use Nordost...not the Vallhallas of course ($4000 per 1m pair)
Old 01-22-2007, 08:42 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cmansbimmer' post='381503' date='Jan 21 2007, 11:24 PM
And do you guys bi-wire your speakers? I recently got all the Paradigm Reference speakers for my home theater. I broke the bank on this purchase, but it was well worth it. However, I've yet to Bi-Wire the speakers. Is it worth it to go this route? And if so, did you buy Bi-Wire cable? One place quoted me almost $25 a foot for this stuff!!! I've heard that some bi-wire cable for a few meters can cost in the hundreds of dollars. That's nuts!

I don't either. There are lots of great DIY speaker wire projects you can find on sites like Audioholics. You can make some stellar wiring from bundles of CAT5.

Since you are looking for ways to maximize the quality, I'd say to pick up the Chesky Audio calibration DVDs, and the Radio Shack SPL meter. Get it dialed in.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_det...amp;section=dvd

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...rentPage=family

Quick Reply: LCD or PLASMA