Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Laptop suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 04:12 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='498078' date='Nov 23 2007, 06:29 AM
Thanks for the great input. That gave me something to think about. So i assume probably that the hardcore linux users still prefer linux over anything else since they are very experienced and don't put much attention on the GUI. In fact i met a guy like this a few weeks ago who said: who needs pretty gui? In fact whenever i see a flashy or corky GUI i remember of windows. All he needed was a console and multitasking. At least that's what he was doing, and still edited the text files in VI. So linux is better if you like to get dirty most of the time and for servers also. That's what i think at least.

Question now: When you buy an apple do they give you all the stuff like CS3 and other full edition adobe products or just the OSx?
I was wondering the same thing.. thanks Imolared.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='498078' date='Nov 23 2007, 06:29 AM
Thanks for the great input. That gave me something to think about. So i assume probably that the hardcore linux users still prefer linux over anything else since they are very experienced and don't put much attention on the GUI. In fact i met a guy like this a few weeks ago who said: who needs pretty gui? In fact whenever i see a flashy or corky GUI i remember of windows. All he needed was a console and multitasking. At least that's what he was doing, and still edited the text files in VI. So linux is better if you like to get dirty most of the time and for servers also. That's what i think at least.

Question now: When you buy an apple do they give you all the stuff like CS3 and other full edition adobe products or just the OSx?
They give you OS X and with most new Mac purchases they will also give you the iLife suite of applications that are pretty basic but helpful for most people. Adobe's products need to be purchased. However, if you have a Windows License for an Adobe product you may be able to call Adobe and have that license switched to a Mac if you pay the "upgrade" price for the product and sign a form stating that you will destroy the Windows version of the Application. I did this when switching from Photoshop CS on Windows to Photoshop CS2 on the Mac.

As for the guy you met who used Vi, I still use Vi as well and I have been caught using Pine and Links now and then. But there is a lot to be said for a good GUI in most applications.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='498078' date='Nov 23 2007, 03:29 AM
If you open up a terminal console OS X you're right into Unix. Much of what you can do through the Mac GUI can be run directly in Unix. You can also boot a Mac into single user mode where you're pretty much using Unix only and never access the GUI at all. Your friend would probably feel right at home with VIM (VI iMproved) and Pico.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:04 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be honest, I really like Mac design as well as user interface iLife. Because I just already bought a Compaq laptop, I gets stuck with it. However, Christmas is coming, so I might consider something for myself
Years ago, I considered Mac is a piece of crap. Crashing like crazy, and mouse has only one button. No cool right-mouse click, but after playing around with new Mac nowsaday at Fry's and Apple's Store, I found that Steves Job has done an excellent job to convince me to buy Mac.
I'll buy either 15" or 17" version for sure. Let see.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:05 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='498139' date='Nov 23 2007, 08:08 PM
If you open up a terminal console OS X you're right into Unix. Much of what you can do through the Mac GUI can be run directly in Unix. You can also boot a Mac into single user mode where you're pretty much using Unix only and never access the GUI at all. Your friend would probably feel right at home with VIM (VI iMproved) and Pico.
Yes he might but when i tired the console commands i found it pretty hard, since i have to learn all those commands again, but as he said he was right in a way. Once you learn and fiddle with the commands it's quite simply to kill a process or start a daemon or whatever you do with some commands + what i found neat is the tab feature that completes every command or known fact cuz it a scary at first to think of wriiting 2 or even 3 lane commands. Also VI is as he said a basic but powerfull tool that can be ran in any conditions, but when i tired it i made the necessary mods but i found myself unable to exit VI. Tried exit, quit commands, tried ctrl+c, ctrl+q, esc key...lol i said that's nice and i closed the console without saving the mods.
Planning to read the suse 10.3 bible in the near future as a hobby lecture. It's so damn necesary. Also i found a pain to configure Samba. They guy obviously took the console and played with iptables, ipchains and stuff like that. Was watching like... what the....!?
Old 11-26-2007, 03:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

This pretty much reduces the exercise to selecting "best" hardware and "best" support... which is what it should be anyway.

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/in.../Vmware_how_to
Old 11-26-2007, 04:57 PM
Members

Originally Posted by hondik' post='496853' date='Nov 20 2007, 11:06 AM
Apple MacBook Pro 15.
I second this.....can't beat them!
Old 11-26-2007, 09:39 PM
Contributors

I have never owned an Apple, but was in the market for a new notebook so I took a close look. The MacBook Pro is really nice. I know nothing about the Leopard software but it looks pretty cool. It would have been my first leap into the "i-world" since the Apple II E. Unfortunately it's too big for me. I wish they made the MacBook Pro in the same size as the MacBook - then I would have got it for sure.

But since I need a 13" I ordered a dell XPS M1330. If you are looking for a PC notebook consider this. Very nicely styled IMO and you can customize it to what you want from business basic to all the bells and whistles. Built in bluetooth, webcam, fingerprint reader, wirless N.....

Laptop suggestions-dell_xps_m1330.jpg