Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Just got pulled over by a ridiculous cop..

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 09:18 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='222878
Wow, I cant believe some of the replies to this thread. Ive been a police officer for just under 10 years and have pulled people over in all types of vehicles. Ive never once stopped someone for having a nice ride or because they drove a shitbox. I didnt care if it was a young kid driving a 100k car or a 100 year old driving a clunker. I just pulled people over for traffic or other criminal offenses.
I am shocked to read the post about the cop being envious and that the vehicle is worth more than the cops existance. I hardly believe any of that BS.
But anyway, I think that you do have a chance to beat this ticket. First, call the court and let them know that your going to protest the ticket. Second, go to the PD's record dept. and get all the information on the summons. In NJ, you get a hard copy of the summons. The first two copies got to records and the court and the third (yellow) copy is for the police officers notes. Prior to the court date you should know the officers name and what vehicle number is was using during that stop. All this should be provided to you (called discovery) by the PD. Then you should request info on when the police vehicles radar unit and speedometer were calibrated. Half the time PD's dont calibrate their vehicles in years so the speedometers might be off by several mph.
On the court date you should show up with a friend (someone your age and that could pass for you). Talk to the prosecutor and ask to see the attorney for your defense (no fee). Request that you would like to see the officers notes and any related info (most police vehicles have GPS). Tell the defense that there was no way that you were doing that speed and that you believe the ticket should be dropped. Tell them that (hopefully) that you have no points on your license and that your a safe and courtesy driver.
If this is really going to trial, PM me and I'll give you the details about the court room. I think that if you create enough of an impression that the officer is way off her mark, you can beat this.
Like i said before, Ive been doing this for along time. I have never lost a ticket or an arrest but then never stopped anyone for a BS reason. Best of luck....
I concur with the BS about envious and etc. Most cops pull people over because of some traffic infraction and not because of their ride. Now if there ride is smoking pot out the window and people can catch it in the wind, that's another story. Sorry, I have to say that some members have a "big head" because they own an e60. Well, each to his own . . .
[/quote]

Big head? You obviously havent been pulled over by a cop whos first question is "Whos ride is this?"
Old 01-12-2006, 10:16 AM
Members

Originally Posted by MaTRiX' post='223374' date='Jan 12 2006, 10:18 AM
Big head? You obviously havent been pulled over by a cop whos first question is "Whos ride is this?"
Why would a cop asking that question make them envious? I've been asked that question by a cop driving my beat up 95 Explorer because he wanted to know if my name was on the registration. I don't think he was jealous of my POS car.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Scott' post='223400
Why would a cop asking that question make them envious? I've been asked that question by a cop driving my beat up 95 Explorer because he wanted to know if my name was on the registration. I don't think he was jealous of my POS car.
[/quote]

To answer your question, I guess it depends on the tone of the cop asking that question. Either way, the cop is suppose to ask for license and registration, now who's car is this. What kind of a question is that? If he doesnt see the name on registration, then yes, its ok to ask that question "IMO".
Old 01-12-2006, 05:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

Originally Posted by Granman' post='223132' date='Jan 12 2006, 02:07 AM
I can personally vouch for going to trial via written declaration using ticketassassin.com. For $25 and one hour of your time you have a 30% chance of getting off, which is better than rolling over and just paying the fine. If you loose, then you can request a new trial, appear in person and ask for traffic school.

I was caught on the motorbike doing 55 in a 45. The CHP office claimed I was doing over 60 which is bs cause I saw him before he saw me. I looked at my speedometer and saw I was doing ~50mph (Like a idiot, I thought he would not worry about 5mph over ? I was wrong)

When the summons arrived, I requested ?trial by written declaration? and paid the $130 fine. The court gives 30 days to fill out the required paper work and return. The police officer has to do the same. The judge reviews both and decides. If you win, the court returns the full refund. In my case the ticket was dismissed as the officer failed to respond.

Thanks for the advice. The problem now is that i will not be around United States from May to mid-August. If i really use ticketassassin.com and follow their instructions but i lose the trial, i highly doubt the new trial can be scheduled all the way until August. I should wait until my summons arrive and see how it goes from there.

Appreciate your help.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:33 PM
Members

good god, half of you are out of your minds. Cops don't pull people over out of jealousy. They pull people over all the time. We drive a damn 5 series, it's not exactly an italian exotic. I think a lot of people here need to step off the soap box and put it aside for a while. The guy got pulled over and you all automatically believe him. I'm not saying he's innocent or guilty, but there is no reason for you all to bash the cop and make such ridiculous claims.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:05 PM
Members

My Ride: Black on Black 545i Auto, Sport, NAV, Sirius, Cold Weather Wifey drives an X5 4.4 with Sport

Scott wrote:

"I've taken traffic school online and finished it in about two hours while I was at work doing other stuff. No big deal."
They have changed the laws in CA on taking traffic school.

1. You must go to a certified site for your jusdiction. There are many on-line, but make sure your court will accept it.

2. All certified sites are a required length. Meaning lots of reading, and a test at the end of each chapter that you must pass. Most have a "gotcha" question so you are forced to read the whole thing. If you miss more than 2 a chapter, you fail, and must redo the chapter. That doesn't sound too bad, BUT...

3. You must spend at least 6 or 8 hours on-line, and each chapter has a time that you must be on. If you are a fast reader, and you finish a chapter, it will tell you to wait until the time has been used up. Each chapter has a time period.

In other words, it's not a couple of hours, and it's not easy. You must pay attention, and attend an online session like you would a class that you would sit through. Take notes, read carefully, and finally take the tests seriously.

The big advantage of on-line, is that you don't have to take the class all at once. A chapter here and there is all it takes. Also, you are at home. Not sitting in a classroom. I usally had a scotch next to me while taking the tests.

As you can tell, I had to do this about 2 months ago. (BTW, there are no left turns in Union Square between 10:00am and 4:00pm. "But officer, my navigation system told me to turn left!") I got through it.

I wanted you to be prepared for traffic school properly. Yes, it takes time, but it's a sure way not to get hit with insurance increases, and it beats the hell out of going to City Hall. (Especially with a bottle of Walker Gold next to you.)
Old 01-12-2006, 09:14 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

[QUOTE=Captain Tenneal;223594]
Scott wrote:
As you can tell, I had to do this about 2 months ago. (BTW, there are no left turns in Union Square between 10:00am and 4:00pm. "But officer, my navigation system told me to turn left!") I got through it.

I did that once near Union Square. I got pulled over for turning left when the sign says no left turn so I told the officer that I'm not from SF, I'm from San Jose. He said "a No Left Turn in SF is the same as a No Left Turn in San Jose, anywhere in the world for that matter"

I felt like an idiot and I think the officer pitied my stupid excuse and let me go....
Old 01-12-2006, 09:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545i. Orient Blue Metallic, black leather interior. Sports package, comfort seats, active steering & one pissed-off wife 03 BMW 1150GS - Remus pipe no cat.

Originally Posted by soc_fans' post='223537' date='Jan 12 2006, 09:09 PM
[Thanks for the advice. The problem now is that i will not be around United States from May to mid-August. If i really use ticketassassin.com and follow their instructions but i lose the trial, i highly doubt the new trial can be scheduled all the way until August. I should wait until my summons arrive and see how it goes from there.

Appreciate your help.
True, however I would still fight the ticket anyways, you have nothing to loose but you have a 30% chance of getting off. I would reply to the summons by requesting a ?trial by written declaration? since even if you don?t follow ticketassasins? advice (I didn?t agree with his inclusion of a request for traffic school if found guilty. It?s kind of admitting guilt regardless of your facts) and just reply with a not guilty plea. However, ticketassasin has good examples of letters on how to best fight tickets written to a certain vehicle code. Mine was CV 22350 ? basic speed law.

I never expected to get off as I was a total dick to the CHP Officer that pulled me over (I thought I was going to be on COPS since his car cam was recording everything) I have heard that COPS will make really good notes if you are a dick to them so that when you go to court they are ready to nail you. If I had of lost I was willing to accept the fine as I did not want to go to court. Kind of shy that way.

BTW: I have nothing to do with ticketassasin in any shape or form.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:22 PM
Members

My Ride: Black on Black 545i Auto, Sport, NAV, Sirius, Cold Weather Wifey drives an X5 4.4 with Sport

EuroCarFan wrote:
laughing.gif I did that once near Union Square. I got pulled over for turning left when the sign says no left turn so I told the officer that I'm not from SF, I'm from San Jose. He said "a No Left Turn in SF is the same as a No Left Turn in San Jose, anywhere in the world for that matter" laughing.gif laughing.gif laughing.gif

I felt like an idiot and I think the officer pitied my stupid excuse and let me go.... thumbsup.gif

My officer wasn't as nice. I was on a business trip from Fresno. I added that we had no left turn areas in Fresno, but it was for the whole day. Damn, those Harleys the cops ride there are loud!
Old 01-12-2006, 10:11 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Captain Tenneal' post='223594' date='Jan 12 2006, 10:05 PM
Scott wrote:

"I've taken traffic school online and finished it in about two hours while I was at work doing other stuff. No big deal."
They have changed the laws in CA on taking traffic school.

1. You must go to a certified site for your jusdiction. There are many on-line, but make sure your court will accept it.

2. All certified sites are a required length. Meaning lots of reading, and a test at the end of each chapter that you must pass. Most have a "gotcha" question so you are forced to read the whole thing. If you miss more than 2 a chapter, you fail, and must redo the chapter. That doesn't sound too bad, BUT...

3. You must spend at least 6 or 8 hours on-line, and each chapter has a time that you must be on. If you are a fast reader, and you finish a chapter, it will tell you to wait until the time has been used up. Each chapter has a time period.

In other words, it's not a couple of hours, and it's not easy. You must pay attention, and attend an online session like you would a class that you would sit through. Take notes, read carefully, and finally take the tests seriously.

The big advantage of on-line, is that you don't have to take the class all at once. A chapter here and there is all it takes. Also, you are at home. Not sitting in a classroom. I usally had a scotch next to me while taking the tests.

I wanted you to be prepared for traffic school properly. Yes, it takes time, but it's a sure way not to get hit with insurance increases, and it beats the hell out of going to City Hall. (Especially with a bottle of Walker Gold next to you.)
You're right, I was exaggerating...it wasn't 2 hours, but it was more like 5. It just felt like 2 because I could read pretty quickly, then let it burn through the time requirement while working. So I probably only put 2 hours of full attention into it. But that was a few years ago, so maybe it's even harder like you said... thanks for the clarification anyway.

Quick Reply: Just got pulled over by a ridiculous cop..