Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Just got pulled over by a ridiculous cop..

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 10:45 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So sorry to see another fellow E60er go through this. IMO i hate traffic cops those $#*&$&#$#. On the other hand i like normal cops. The fact is, these traffic cops after my experience are totally jealous of the car you are driving. Thats why they pulled you over and not someone else. What people have posted is totally true. The cop expects you to either hire a lawyer OR, not fight the ticket and just pay for it. What i did was hire an ex-cop to fight it, but the best those %@$##@# did was bring it down to 3 points from 4 points. They said it wouldnt go on my insurance record since its now considered a minor. I would recommend you contact an Ex-COP if there is any, but ONLY and ONLY sign the contract if they gurantee that it wont show up or effect your insurance whatsoever. Im telling you, im pretty sure the #@$@@##@# cop WILL show up in court just to make your life misreable just because you drive an E60. Id recommend that you be there too in court with the Ex-COP, ( I wasnt because those Ex-COP #$#$#$(*#$(* DIDNT NOTIFY ME even though i requested it. I think thats why the judge didnt remove my points. I know 5 other people who went into court without an EX-COP and the cop didnt show up 4/5 times, and the 5th one the cop DID show up, but the guy used guilt factor saying he couldnt pay for it, hes a student etc, also the fact that he doesnt drive an E60 helped ALOT im sure. I HATE THESE #$(*$#(*$#*$ TRAFFIC COPS, Now im in a bad mood too because i know EXACTLY HOW YOU FEEL.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:53 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate run-in soc_fans. I think you've heard it all already so all I'll say is good luck with the outcome of whatever path you choose.

On a slightly different note, if I recall correctly, you had your front windows tinted too right? Did she give you any grief for that?
Old 01-10-2006, 11:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Cars:2011 - BMW F11 535i, Alpine White, Msport version2009 - MINI COOPER, Mellow Yellow2007 - BMW E61 LCI 530i, Space Gray, Msport version - SOLD2006 - MINI COOPER, Park Lane Version - SOLD2005 - BMW E61 525i, Titan Silver, Msport version - SOLD2003
Model Year: 2012

Originally Posted by Bobbin-Man' post='221997' date='Jan 10 2006, 07:01 AM
Is it not necessary in the USA to produce evidence?
In the UK I believe it would normally be 2 officers present if being prosecuted based upon use of the police vehicle speedometer, and then the speedometer would need to have been checked/calibrated on the date in question. Nowadays many more convictions are achieved through the use of radar guns and cameras - it's not worth police time to follow anyone!

Contest it
Same in Italy, they cannot just give a ticket without an evidence. Radar and cameras are printing a ticket with all the details, speed, time etc. and this must be showed to the guilty.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Cube Trim, M Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, Head Up Display, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Through Load, Park Distance Control, Navigation , HK Logic 7, etc

You could always post her name and address on some lame fetish website and turn them boys loose on her!
Old 01-10-2006, 11:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 "Stripper" Now C6 "Stripper"
Talking

Traffic court = overtime or change of tour.

No shows or rescheduled court dates are due to criminal court appearances / in service training, requalifications / conflicts with cop's vacation, etc.

Impeding the flow of traffic? Maybe she wanted a date with ya...
Old 01-11-2006, 04:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

[/quote]
Soc--

I understand how much it sucks to know that you've been wronged -- it's the principle of the thing. If you took all your evidence (you were on cruise control, HUD, etc) who knows, the judge might believe you.

Personally, I would take traffic school because it guarantees no insurance hike which is the real expense.

I've taken traffic school online and finished it in about two hours while I was at work doing other stuff. No big deal.

I know you're upset about what happened to you, sounds like you got a raw deal. But for what it's worth, it's more likely a mistake than her lying to screw you. There are so many people out there breaking the law, why make it up? (I'm not saying there aren't bad apples, but that's everyone's assumption when it happens to them -- they got the crooked cop).

If you do argue remember that the less distance that she paced you, the more you could make an arguement that she might have been closing in on you still, making it appear that you were going faster.

Was the road curvy? Were you starting from a stoplight where she couldn't have gotten a steady pace for long enough? There are lots of things you can use to help prove your case.

But when you throw pride out the window (hard to do I know) ask yourself if you are making the smartest, logical decision for YOU.
[/quote]

Thanks scott for the suggestions. I guess i would wait until the 'letter' has been sent to my place, then it will be easier for me to decide.

Originally Posted by CoolTones' post='222553
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate run-in soc_fans. I think you've heard it all already so all I'll say is good luck with the outcome of whatever path you choose.

On a slightly different note, if I recall correctly, you had your front windows tinted too right? Did she give you any grief for that?
Nope. The female cop is too dumb to realize the tint of my car. <_<

Originally Posted by Trev550i' post='222568' date='Jan 11 2006, 04:25 AM
You could always post her name and address on some lame fetish website and turn them boys loose on her!
She didn't even write her F*@#%ing name in the ticket she gave me. She wrote her badge number though.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

One more small bit of advice:

If you are going to fight the ticket, plead not guilty, and a week or two before the trial date, ask to reschedule. Do this as many times as they will permit you. When you finally do appear, try to schedule it for a day of the week different from the day of the week originally set. The courts and the cops work together to schedule all of a cop's trials in one day. If you postpone, and get a different day of the week, you increace your likelihood that the cop will not show up. If he /she has only one trial and it is on her regular day off (RDO in cop speak), she may not show up. I learned this trick from cops while working in the DA's office.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:15 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Nope. The female cop is too dumb to realize the tint of my car. <_<
[/quote]

I asked that cause I think if she didn't give you grief about your tint, then she probably wasn't "jealous" or "out to get you". I don't think she missed the tint but probably just let you off on it. I was pulled over in my other car and got a speeding ticket and the cop pointed out that I had front window tints and no front license plates but he didn't write me up for it.

Guess what I'm saying is that it could have been a bit worse. Besides for the speeding ticket, you might have had to rip your tint off.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 M5

Soc_fans,

You are luck! At least it wasn't this police officer:

199.wmv

Look what he done. :thumbsdown:
Old 01-11-2006, 10:50 AM
Members

Wow, I cant believe some of the replies to this thread. Ive been a police officer for just under 10 years and have pulled people over in all types of vehicles. Ive never once stopped someone for having a nice ride or because they drove a shitbox. I didnt care if it was a young kid driving a 100k car or a 100 year old driving a clunker. I just pulled people over for traffic or other criminal offenses.
I am shocked to read the post about the cop being envious and that the vehicle is worth more than the cops existance. I hardly believe any of that BS.
But anyway, I think that you do have a chance to beat this ticket. First, call the court and let them know that your going to protest the ticket. Second, go to the PD's record dept. and get all the information on the summons. In NJ, you get a hard copy of the summons. The first two copies got to records and the court and the third (yellow) copy is for the police officers notes. Prior to the court date you should know the officers name and what vehicle number is was using during that stop. All this should be provided to you (called discovery) by the PD. Then you should request info on when the police vehicles radar unit and speedometer were calibrated. Half the time PD's dont calibrate their vehicles in years so the speedometers might be off by several mph.
On the court date you should show up with a friend (someone your age and that could pass for you). Talk to the prosecutor and ask to see the attorney for your defense (no fee). Request that you would like to see the officers notes and any related info (most police vehicles have GPS). Tell the defense that there was no way that you were doing that speed and that you believe the ticket should be dropped. Tell them that (hopefully) that you have no points on your license and that your a safe and courtesy driver.
If this is really going to trial, PM me and I'll give you the details about the court room. I think that if you create enough of an impression that the officer is way off her mark, you can beat this.
Like i said before, Ive been doing this for along time. I have never lost a ticket or an arrest but then never stopped anyone for a BS reason. Best of luck....

Quick Reply: Just got pulled over by a ridiculous cop..